HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:20 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Bombers & Riders: Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl, 2010

Our big rivalry games are here! Anyone care to make some predictions, trash talk, etc?

I'm a more optimistic Bomber fan this year (as compared to the Jerk Kelly debacle of '09), and this is in spite of the fact that our record at this point in the season is a bit worse than the same time last year. At least with LaPolice, I have confidence in his intelligence and ability to improve as things progress. I think he and our new GM Joe Mack could really build something here, though it may take a while and we may not start to see the fruits of that labour until later in 2010 or 2011.

I'm predicting that the Bombers and the Riders will each win one in this series, each winning at home. I would've predicted the Blue would be no wins this series vs. the Riders, but after watching the Riders last week vs. Edmonton, I'm thinking 1-1. Riders by at least 10 points this Sunday (it'll be a loud stadium to their advantage), and the Bombers squeaking out a win in the Banjo Bowl. Hopefully this year, Only The Lonely and I don't have to chant for anyone's firing ("Fire Mike Kelly!") as they come off the field. But last year, it was a travesty, obviously.

My bit of optimism for the Bombers at this time is because we're getting some guys back from injury, notably our Safety, Ian Logan. QB Buck Pierce will likely get the start, and if he is in better shape (notably, if he is able to scramble and run outside of the pocket like he did earlier in the season), that helps us tremendously. He had some time to rest-up and do physio during the last few weeks (including the bye week).

Also thinking that Paul LaPolice is likely getting a bit more comfortable in the head coaching chair. He made some mistakes, but I have a good feeling about the guy's football knowledge and ability to learn quickly from mistakes (also, unlike Kooky Kelly), and he'll likely be a better head coach in the second half of the season. Think he also would have a useful and detailed knowledge of many of the Rider's players, particularly on the offensive side of the ball and specifically QB Darian Durant.

The Bombers' big weakness is the O-line, IMO. This week we added a new import to our O-line, Marlon Winn. We'll also have a non-import rookie, Chris Greaves, starting on the O-line in his first career start. Again, this line will be a significant concern, as it takes time for new guys on this particular line more than any other unit to 'gel' with each other and work as a cohesive unit. If they are able to hold-off a while longer before breaking apart after the snap, it'll help the Blue (passing and rushing) a great deal.

Also worried that Terrence Edwards, our leading receiver, may not play this week. He sat out the last two practices with a sore ankle, though he insists that he'll play on Sunday.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

Have you Rider fans bought your watermelons yet?

At the very least, just for reasons of basic entertainment, I hope the games are closer this year than last.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:31 PM

Downtown - thanks for inviting some trash talk. We are looking forward to the annual influx of drunken Bomber fans starting tonight.

Q: What's the difference between a Bomber fan wedding and a hillbilly funeral?
A: There's one less drunk at the funeral.

Q: How do you get a Bomber fan out of a bathtub?
A: Throw in a bar of soap.
Q: How do you tell the bride at a Bomber fan wedding?
A: She's wearing the cleanest shirt.
Q: How do you circumcize a Bomber fan?
A: Kick his sister in the chin.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:39 PM
The Loyal Opposition

That last one made me laugh out out, for real.

I would like to toss-out a bunch of incest-themed jokes at 'ya, but am having trouble thinking at this time... I'm a Winnipegger, after all, so I'm obviously already plastered at this time of day.

And, I'm assuming you've already seen this:

Lastly, a refresher on counting to twelve properly:

Video Link

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM. Reason: youtube embed

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:49 PM
Armchair urbanist

Good ones Stormer.

I've been thinking about making the trek to Saskabush for the Labour Day Classic, perhaps next year. I have an in-law originally from way up in Uranium City, and we've had some great times watching these games together.

Quick question, any truth to the following rumours:

- you can find an extra beer in any 12-pack you buy in Saskatchewan, or
- the clock strikes 13 in Regina?

Go Blue!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 5:44 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

As a Bomber fan I'd like to pre-congratulate Saskatchewan for their back to back wins at the 2010 labour day classic and the Banjo bowl.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Wow. The Green Goblins from Bumpkinland didn't even show up today! A nice 31-2 stomping of Rider Nation.R The best part is that we don't have do deal with the egomaniacs from Rider Nation going on and on about how they are the greatest thing in the CFL since sliced bread.

Go Blue!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RTD; Sep 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Wow. The Green Goblins from Bumpkinland didn't even show up today! A nice 31-2 stomping of Rider Nation.R The best part is that we don't have do deal with the egomaniacs from Rider Nation going on and on about how they are the greatest thing in the CFL since sliced bread.

Go Blue!!!!!!!!
Just as we don't have to listen to you bombers fans gloat!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Just as we don't have to listen to you bombers fans gloat!
Granted, we haven't had much to be happy about in the past little while, so hopefully today is only the beginning of a better half of the season so that we can become just as big of egomaniacs as those found just to our west

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:32 AM

Saskatchewan mathematics

12 + 1 = 12

Actually, I think Sask. should be very proud. There is only about 200,000 people in Regina but they sell out so often. And yes, I do know that a lot of fans come down from Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:00 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Well good. I had hoped admitting defeat would lead the bombers to proving me wrong. Hopefully they've found a way to turn things around.. but I need to see another win before I regain any playoff hopes.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 2:08 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Well, my prediction for both teams winning at home this series came though, but who would've thought the Riders would curl up and die in the first few minutes of the game?! Heck of a lot of fun yesterday, and beautiful September weather to top it off. Only the Lonely and I were sitting amongst a bunch of Rider fans in our section. Lot of sad, long faces! We really celebrated the Bomber's scoring, and our green friends had nothing to cheer about at all. To their credit, most stayed until the final second of the 4th quarter. Real die-hards, but do they really need to treat football games as if it is a Halloween costume party? Ha ha. Some actually had helmets and flags with the number 13 featured on it, one would think that would now be an embarrassing thing for them to exhibit.

Great win by the Bombers, and I have lots of confidence in LaPolice. Additionally, it isn't surprising that it will take some time to undo the damage by Mike Kelly and Lyle Bauer. Think this might be the start of them turning the corner into a good direction.

Here's a good column on yesterday's game:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/foo...663/story.html

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Well, my prediction for both teams winning at home this series came though, but who would've thought the Riders would curl up and die in the first few minutes of the game?! Heck of a lot of fun yesterday, and beautiful September weather to top it off. Only the Lonely and I were sitting amongst a bunch of Rider fans in our section. Lot of sad, long faces! We really celebrated the Bomber's scoring, and our green friends had nothing to cheer about at all. To their credit, most stayed until the final second of the 4th quarter. Real die-hards, but do they really need to treat football games as if it is a Halloween costume party? Ha ha. Some actually had helmets and flags with the number 13 featured on it, one would think that would now be an embarrassing thing for them to exhibit.

Great win by the Bombers, and I have lots of confidence in LaPolice. Additionally, it isn't surprising that it will take some time to undo the damage by Mike Kelly and Lyle Bauer. Think this might be the start of them turning the corner into a good direction.

Here's a good column on yesterday's game:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/foo...663/story.html
I for one fully embrace it. We are the 13th man, and always will be. The person responsible for that debacle last year is now a coach for your team anyways (Kavis Reed)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:23 PM
Youth of a Nation

As I had posted on the CFL 2010 Season thread in the main Canada section... Good game and post game saw a few girl rider fans being all sore losers. No problems during the game.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:07 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Riders fans should definitely be worried about their Grey Cup prospects this year.

You guys lost to one of the worst teams in the league yesterday.

"YEEHAW! Stick it to your Grandma for a while! If it don't fit, wiggle it a bit. Do it for a while, now that's SASKATCHEWAN STYLE!"

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Riders fans should definitely be worried about their Grey Cup prospects this year.

You guys lost to one of the worst teams in the league yesterday.

"YEEHAW! Stick it to your Grandma for a while! If it don't fit, wiggle it a bit. Do it for a while, now that's SASKATCHEWAN STYLE!"
Typical Winnipegger - thinking it makes sense to try to insult someones team by putting their own team down first.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 9:03 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
Typical Winnipegger - thinking it makes sense to try to insult someones team by putting their own team down first.
Just stating fact. The Bombers have never won the cup in my sister's life time, and she turns 20 this december.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:35 PM
Youth of a Nation

1990. It has been sometime now, I'm almost sure it coming into a second generation.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
As a Bomber fan I'd like to pre-congratulate Saskatchewan for their back to back wins at the 2010 labour day classic and the Banjo bowl.
Can I have permission to use this as my new signature?

I believe I have regained some dignity after that curb stomping Winnipeg laid on the Riders last Sunday!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 8:36 PM

grey cup fever

My God, if the Bombers don't win the grey cup soon, we will be mentioning them in the same breath as the Maple Laughs! GO Bombers GO!!!!

Some of my All time favorite Bombers include:

Don Jonas, Mickey Doyle, John Helton, Rick House and Tommy Scott (when they were Bombers!) Mac Herron (should have won the Schenly Trophy but was robbed by the Media voters with an Eastern bias for a retiring Garney Henly), Bernie (reefer) Ruhoff, James West, Les Browne, Tom Clemons and Matt Dunigan (but their tenures were too short), Chris Walby,.........the two most frustrating players to watch were Doug Strong and Paul Brule. They were both punt returners and their MO was always to catch the punt and then fall forward two yards! Arrrrggg!

BTW - I despise watching and hearing Glen Suitor on TSN....he is such a homer for the Roughriders, and clearly does not like the Bombers anymore now, then when they would continually beat his ass when he was a player.

Boy, did that ever feel good getting that off my chest! Almost as good as listening to Charles Adler or calling into his show to rant!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 6:41 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I think both Bomber and Rider fans will get a chuckle out of this column from the Globe & Mail earlier this week:

Philosophy prof. Arthur Schafer went to the Banjo Bowl, afterwards he penned an article for the G&M: "It’s okay for football fans to cheer. But not so loudly":

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1707499/

The professor should probably stick with the symphony, as the atmosphere at football games is clearly not for him!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan