HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 5:13 PM

[San Antonio] New large scale downtown planned for Cibolo.

Any news on this project?

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 7:01 PM
passion for patterns

I'm surprised this one got no response - it's one of the more responsible designs I've seen in any of Texas' suburbs. I like it!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:26 PM

I know Cibolo (have developed subdivisions there), and I know this site (and the owner's rep).

Two words: pure fantasy.

Chad.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:29 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpcarey View Post
I know Cibolo (have developed subdivisions there), and I know this site (and the owner's rep).

Chad.
Why is it pure fantasy? I am just curious. I really don't know, as I am not familiar with SA developers.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 9:45 PM
Devon Tower/Museum Tower!

Is it going to made of gold like the Cibola that caused the Spaniards to come to America? If not, then I'm not interested

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:34 PM

Arbeiter:

Lots of reasons:

1. City of Cibolo is arguably the most frustrating municipality in which to develop (in metro SA); there's zero consistency with implementation and enforcement of regulations, so developers don't want to be there;
2. Land is too expensive (this would need to be carried for 8-12 years for this project to get traction);
3. No market for homes/retail/office at these price ranges (you have to drive past an existing Armadillo Homes subdivision to get to this site; the only price points that work in Cibolo are south of $200K)
4. There is a deep supply of cheap land & lots in Cibolo with utilities based on suburban development patterns;
5. City of Cibolo has one of the lowest tax rates in the SA metro area, making contributions to public improvements practically impossible;

Et cetera, et cetera.

Chad.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:40 PM
passion for patterns

okay, makes sense. it just seems like a lot of effort to have a master plan developed like this, and it not have any real hope of succeeding.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:43 PM

This type of project will probably do better in the new land that Windcrest is developing between Walzem and Eisenhauer. Windcrest price points are far above 200k, and Windcrest is willing to play ball and have new devlopment.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Chad.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...o.17ec88d.html

Seems to be more than a fantasy.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I'm surprised this one got no response - it's one of the more responsible designs I've seen in any of Texas' suburbs. I like it!
Not trying to toot my, you know. But I posted this some time back and it received responses.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=133168

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:38 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not trying to toot my, you know. But I posted this some time back and it received responses.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=133168
well, that was june - i can't catch each san antonio thread, as much as you think i do

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:52 PM

Paul in SA:

The type of growth referenced in that article is almost entirely entry-level suburban subdivisions built by large public homebuilders. It's no different than any other suburban submarket in SA.

So to somehow think that this type of "growth" (cheap, cheap, cheap suburban housing) proves the viability of a very ambitious New Urbanist town center, is, well, pure fantasy.

Chad.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 2:16 AM

About 30% of the homes in Cibolo are priced over 200K, according to realtor.com

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Paul in SA:

The type of growth referenced in that article is almost entirely entry-level suburban subdivisions built by large public homebuilders. It's no different than any other suburban submarket in SA.

So to somehow think that this type of "growth" (cheap, cheap, cheap suburban housing) proves the viability of a very ambitious New Urbanist town center, is, well, pure fantasy.

Chad.
This thread is to show a new urban lifestyle project nothing more nothing less. Seems there is more of these type projects uc in San Antonio than any other Texas city.

Cheap, cheap, cheap housing takes place everywhere from Austin suburbs to the suburbs of Buffalo.

Whats your point?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
This thread is to show a new urban lifestyle project nothing more nothing less. Seems there is more of these type projects uc in San Antonio than any other Texas city.

Cheap, cheap, cheap housing takes place everywhere from Austin suburbs to the suburbs of Buffalo.

Whats your point?
If most of it is suburban-style single-family homes, then how is it urban (just going by what was said above)?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
If most of it is suburban-style single-family homes, then how is it urban (just going by what was said above)?
It is the suburbs what the hell do you want them to build out there? Freaking Midtown Manhattan? I think this is a step up from typical sprawl. Don't forget this is 20 plus miles from Downtown. I think it is a step foward for smart growth, and San Antono is doing a dam good job. better than Austin and other Texas cities.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:28 AM

Funny how some forumers can't ever say anything good. It's like they are upset for a city doing it right.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:30 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
What Chad is talking about is the current growth in Cibolo. It's tons single family subdivisions with tons more planned.. The Cibolo Town Center is a new urbanism development which is something not being offered in Cibolo. Chad is asking why would something that big work if the growth in Cibolo is geared more towards single family tract homes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:57 PM

Quote:
What Chad is talking about is the current growth in Cibolo. It's tons single family subdivisions with tons more planned.. The Cibolo Town Center is a new urbanism development which is something not being offered in Cibolo. Chad is asking why would something that big work if the growth in Cibolo is geared more towards single family tract homes.
This is about a new urbanism project for Cibolo. Not anywhere do I say or the article I linked say that Cibolo is this dense urban city. Its a dam suburb! what do you expect from a suburb? This is a good step in the right direction, and I'm sure it will fit right in. Why wouldn't this type of development not work in Cibolo? Why wouldn't it work anywhere for that matter! Everyone talks about ugly sprawl and how we need more of this style of urbanisim. Cibolo is doing this, and is critcized for doing it right, very amusing. Anyhow, it is a mixed use development. Not everyone wants a loft, rowhouse or condo. There isn't anything wrong with tract homes, with backyards, and white picket fences tied into a more urban enviroment like this. We need more of this, and it seems it's taking off quite well in the San Antonio metro.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Dec 9, 2007 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
It is the suburbs what the hell do you want them to build out there? Freaking Midtown Manhattan? I think this is a step up from typical sprawl. Don't forget this is 20 plus miles from Downtown. I think it is a step foward for smart growth, and San Antono is doing a dam good job. better than Austin and other Texas cities.

I fail to see this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio