HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I can't see this domed structure on the old aerial views, but the area where it stood was a parking lot by the late-80s. Other than a large book, what's in the case?
Is this the model of the Garden of Allah? One of the black & white images has a slightly better view, but it's still difficult to tell what's inside.

Julius Shulman, 1960
Hoss, I believe you're right..this is the Garden of Allah model.

By 1967, the base beneath the plexiglass 'box' has been turned into an inverted pyramid, and the plexiglass 'box' is shaped like a pyramid as well.

looking for the video again

The effect is a 'floating' diamond.

____

The car continues east past Pandora's Box.

From the looks of things this is after the RIOT. The white picket fence is down and everything looks worse for wear.

I can't make heads or tails of the sign propped up with the two-by-four.

exhausted rioters? or just lazy hippies. (I'm kidding)

the edge of a neighboring building appears.

spray painted on this building is the name "Bob Candee". Does anyone know who that is?

The busy corner of Sunset Blvd. and Crescent Heights.

The car continues east across Crescent Heights Blvd.

various small ephemeral businesses. Debbi's..........

Sherry's.......

A brown and beige decorative wall that I believe is part of Sherry's.

I thought a Googies should be here, but I didn't see it. The video ends here.

(there are earlier scenes that I skipped)....I'm going to comment on them as well, unless someone beats me to it. -feel free

__

Ok folks, I just found the video again. It differs from another Sunset Blvd video (also from 1967) that we've previously seen on NLA.
(hmmmm...maybe we've seen this one too....I'm not sure)

Here's the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppPX8Qmr48

HossC's stand alone canopy at Lytton Savings appears at the 1:13 mark in the 2:38 video.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

OOPS, I just realized HossC posted a link to this same video earlier on NLA.

He included a screen-grab of the Plush Pup (visible on the right in his first Shulman B&W photograph)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23634

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2016 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:33 PM

One of the comments for this song mentions the Sunset Strip video:

"You Got It (I Want It)" by Bob Candee

Video Link

Another comment claims to be from Bob's brother, and says that it was recorded around 1961. However, two other sources I found give the date as 1970 and 1971, which is a few years after the Sunset Strip video.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:36 PM

Good find Hoss.

boy, there isn't much on the internet about Bob Candee. I couldn't even find a photograph of him.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:08 AM

I just found out today that one of the WAMPAS Baby Stars is still living.

Mary Carlisle, born February 4, 1914 (aged 102)

1935 http://maudelynn.tumblr.com/post/133...carlisle-c1935

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAMPAS_Baby_Stars

The "WAMPAS Baby Stars" of 1932. Rear row: Toshia Mori, Boots Mallory, Ruth Hall, Gloria Stuart, Patricia Ellis, Ginger Rogers, Lilian Bond, Evalyn Knapp, Marian Shockley.
Front row: Dorothy Wilson, Mary Carlisle, Lona Andre, Eleanor Holm, Dorothy Layton, (June Clyde is not pictured).

She is also the only person still living in this photograph taken on the Paramount lot in the 1930s. (she is next to W.C. Fields in the second row)

https://nitratediva.files.wordpress....rycarlisle.jpg

"If you look closely at the picture above, you can pick out quite a few Hollywood legends. Cary Grant. Charles Laughton. Josef von Sternberg. Maurice Chevalier."

https://nitratediva.files.wordpress....rycarlisle.gif Mary in the 'Sweetheart of Sigma Chi'

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2016 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:

I think tovangar2 has pretty much answered the question, but I just thought I'd mention that the Hebrew Cemetery still appears on the 1921 Baist map.

www.historicmapworks.com

For reference, here's what's there today.

Google Maps

This 1873 map demarcates the Hebrew Cemetery (without any obvious streets) and other Eastern LA points of interest, including "Cavitt's Distillery." Seems as though an appropriate address could have been "Eternity Street" except that name was already taken. Despite Cavitt's reference on this map, very little seems available or remembered of this would-be business. (There is vintage glassware available with Cavitt's Topeka KS, but the relationship, if any, is unknown.)

Most of the map
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...0coll4/id/1422

Hebrew Cemetery CU

Cavitt Distillery at bottom

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I always have a hard time with new perspectives. If this is Commercial then we've never seen this part of it close up nor from this angle and never with this high res. All that said, I can't find any point of reference that I recognize. If this is Commercial then the high ground is beyond the river and the density of nice, well laid out houses seems unlike what I think of when I conjure Commercial Street this far off of Alameda. Here's an image of what I believe to be Aliso, not Alameda, (from earlier in the thread) which (as you well know) runs parallel to Commercial. If this is Aliso, this would be somewhat closer in-town but not by too much. Always hard to tell, but seems to me the houses and properties in this shot are more ramshackle and I can't really believe they'd be less so the farther you get from town and one block south on Commercial.

N. Alameda St.(?) near Commercial St. in 1924

Berkeley-Bancroft

LAPast posits this as Ducommon street. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9225 FWIW, the below Calisphere source labels the image: :"Old buildings at N. Alameda and Commercial Sts., looking towards 612 N Alameda" The image, is part of a large image collection devoted or related to "Pneumonic Plague Outbreak Sites and Rats in Los Angeles." https://calisphere.org/collections/17324/ The images are presumably from 1924-25. (There are likely other images covering the same or similar subject matter or variations of the same from other repositories, e.g., LAPL)

Rats and plague are no strangers to NLA. ER posted images from this collection as have others, for example: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=11153 Many of the previous NLA posted rat-related images are part of this collection. Some not. It is also unclear what some of the images have to do with the subject other than the general date and perhaps being in the periphery, e.g., the Grand Central Market? Here's a sm[r]attering, in no particular order. Yes, we have seen some before.

"Rat Holes"

Grand Central Mkt.

747 Lyon (Aliso) Street

Backside of

Mule Yards, Hall of Justice in distance

Jewel Stables

Ramona Stables

GasOmeters

752 S Hill Street

626 S Main

219 S Hill (Before Clean up)

219 S Hill (After)

1500 E Fourth Street

330 S Alameda

Foreman W. H. Kings sub-station crew - Chinatown crew - Apaplasa and So. Alameda Sts

Disinfection Crew - E. 6th St. and Imperial

Shacks rear of So. Alameda at Apaplasa St.

612 Alameda Tortilla Factory

Rear of 612 Alameda

Shacks

749 N Alameda

414 N Alameda "Noodle Factory"

Jackson and San Pedro Streets

Near Aliso and N. Alameda

Seventh and Central (After)

14th and Central

2039 E Seventh Street (Before)

2039 E Seventh Street (After)

First and (Rat) Central

Demolition Professionals

135 E Second Street

Jackson and San Pedro, Hotel Higoya - Japanese Section

333 N Jackson

Central and First

Frank's Restaurant

Hotel Madison

Junk yard at 8th and San Julian Strs.

Lyon (Aliso) and N. Vignes

Deconstruction Crew at 1010 W 3rd Street, Hotel Irving in background

Sanitary Poultry

344 S. Alameda Upholstery

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 6, 2016 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Back alleys, lack of sanitation and multiple areas of disease. It was a good thing I already ate my dinner tonight. Most interesting panorama of the back side of Los Angeles.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:

LAPast posits this as Ducommon street. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9225 Yet, FWIW, the below calisphere source labels the image: :"Old buildings at N. Alameda and Commercial Sts., looking towards 612 N Alameda" In any event, the image, is part of a collection that includes 617 images all devoted or related to "Pneumonic Plague Outbreak Sites and Rats in Los Angeles." https://calisphere.org/collections/17324/ The images are presumably from 1924-25.

Rats and plague are no strangers to NLA. For example: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=11153 Many of the images posted in connection with this subject are part of this collection. Some not. It is unclear what some of the images have to do with the subject other than the general date and perhaps being in the periphery, e.g., the Grand Central Market? Here's a sm[r]attering, in no particular order.
I posted a couple of these images at the end of 2014 when they turned up on eBay. It looks like this collection comes with more accurate descriptions than the seller provided, and gives much better depth to the subject.

Quote:

Mule Yards, Hall of Justice in distance
Here's a map I posted to help locate the picture above. The full post is here.

The "Mule & Horse Markets" appear on the 1921 Baist map.

www.historicmapworks.com

Quote:

2039 E Seventh Street (Before)
I've never seen the "after" picture before, so thanks for completing the pair. I once again used the 1921 Baist map to show where the ice storage buildind stood. The Anita Hotel also featured in my original post, which can be found here.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a familiar building - Lytton Savings on Sunset Boulevard.
Nice series of photos, HossC. In the one above, I'm assuming that's a TV set on the right? (There were some others in odd positioning in the photos you linked to.) If it's not, though, I'd be interested in what it is.

Thanks for the post!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:08 PM

HossC, in the post of mine that you linked to in yours, I had quoted a person who was commenting about the artwork in and around the Lytton Bank, who wrote:

"In 1962, a 75 foot-long photo mural on the history of motion pictures was also installed
in the bank complex, in what was then called the Lytton Center of the Visual Arts. It would
be interesting to know if the mural is there but covered up somewhere."

In this photo that E_R posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

__
...you can see the words "Lytton Center..." in the building in the background which appears to be where there is a strip of fast food places currently. I am wondering what exactly this building (The Lytton Center of the Visual Arts) was. The references I've found about it all keep saying that Lytton created the "Lytton Center of the Visual Arts" in one of his bank buildings, but the Shulman photos and others don't seem to suggest the bank itself was this exact place, though there obviously was artwork involved in it. The above photo is the first indication I've had it was a separate building along the back of the property where said fast food places (mostly) are currently housed.

There's a photo HERE that shows Leslie Caron and Warren Beatty at a party at the Center given by Richard Burton in October of 1964.

A newspaper announcement from 1965:
from Russ Karas

This photo is from an event at the center in 1968.
Art Lynch
Pictured are Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury, Forry Ackerman & Mrs. Harryhausen.

Several sources have contradictory notations about the Lytton Center, saying it was IN the bank building on the first floor, another the second floor and similar, but the book Stardust Monuments: The Saving and Selling of Hollywood by Alison Trope, probably has the best information: (page 69)

In June 1962, Bart Lytton opened the one million dollar Lytton Center of the Visual Arts. [He had purchased a collection of pre-cinema artifacts in 1961 that were to be a donation to the Hollywood Motion Picture Museum that was being planned at the time.] He decided to display them beforehand in the Lytton Center. In many ways, the Lytton Center proved to be a miniature version of the proposed Hollywood Museum, offering exhibitions of priceless artifacts and production processes; a theatre for audiences that screened canonized works of film and television; roundtable discussions with Hollywood crafts people; a library; and a photomural of films and stars. [This is what a commenter mentioned in my previous quote above.]

Information about Bart Lytton shows a complicated man, verging on the noir and complicated by his varied, and often failed, ambitions.

The above description of the Lytton Center would indicate a separate building from the bank at Sunset and Crescent Heights, but I've not as yet found any specific photos of it. HossC, do any of the aerials show such a structure? It has to have been demolished, because the various places in that location currently could not have been incorporated into any previously exisiting building as far as I could tell.

Who knew this Center was there?! It's the first I was aware of it. Sounds pretty grand and a shame it folded, especially seeing that the Hollywood Museum did as well.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:26 PM

Mystery location

Posted at Shorpy by a member Cazzorla...

Officer Jenson, Los Angeles, 1932

Tom Jensen, Los Angeles police officer, chef at the Police Academy and part time actor. I scanned this photo at a family reunion for my mother's 90th birthday. He was my mother's stepmother's brother-in-law's brother.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Nice series of photos, HossC. In the one above, I'm assuming that's a TV set on the right? (There were some others in odd positioning in the photos you linked to.) If it's not, though, I'd be interested in what it is.

Thanks for the post!
Washing out the gamma curve shows it nicely:

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:11 PM

There's some overlap between the color and black & white images in this Julius shulman set, so I've picked some of each. This is "Job 5585: Adrian Wilson and Associates, Criminal Courts Building (Los Angeles, Calif.),1978".

Here's the building with City Hall.

And a view back the other way across Grand Park to the DWP Building.

From a lower angle, Mr Shulman was able to frame the DWP Building in an arch.

There's only one color office picture in this set, so here it is.

The black & white version of the last image looks so much better than the color one.

All from Getty Research Institute

The building hasn't changed much since 1978, so I'm not posting a "now" image.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:36 PM

I posted many of the plague photographs back in 2010, starting with this one of 'Ground Zero'.

Quote:

Ground Zero.

calisphere

Grocery near Clara Street where first plague-infested rat was found.

You can read about the plague epidemic here.
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/mar/05/local/me-then5

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:39 PM

and I followed up with this post.

Quote:

The 'plague study' photographs are fascinating. They show us seldom seen parts of the city.
Some are sad, like when the children pose, and wave to the photographer in front of their 'unsanitary' homes.

below: Restaurants at Central & East 1st Street. be sure to pan right---->

caliphere

below: 813 South Central. Anyone know what hotel that is at far right? The sign says 'HOTEL SHE-something'.

calisphere

below: College Inn Cafe at 904 N. Broadway.

calisphere

Below: Jackson & San Pedro Street. Notice it say 'Jap Section'. I am surprised....this is many years before WWII !

calisphere

below: A chili stand at 1325 1/2 S. Central. 'Bledsoe for Mayor' Eastside Headquarters is to the right. pan------>

calisphere

Many more to follow.

So many interesting detail I had forgotten all about. Thanks for the reminder BifRayRock.

____

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:40 PM

Boyertown Burial Casket Company @ 1124 W. Washington Blvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Posted at Shorpy by a member Cazzorla...

Officer Jenson, Los Angeles, 1932

Tom Jensen, Los Angeles police officer, chef at the Police Academy and part time actor. I scanned this photo at a family reunion for my mother's 90th birthday. He was my mother's stepmother's brother-in-law's brother.
MR, given the commercial signs we can read in your mystery photo, my guess is it looks east on Washington Blvd. from about Burlington:

1932 LACD @ LAPL -- http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-We..._doc=Boyertown

The building east of the casket company might still exist, but it doesn't look the same. The other buildings on the right side of the street are gone.

P.S. Your post was much more thorough, Hoss.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; May 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:44 PM

Beaten to it by Flyingwedge!

This is indeed the 1100 block of West Washington Boulevard. From the 1932 CD, the drug store with the blade sign belonged to Sol Finkelstein (it was 1102 W Washington Blvd). Nearer the camera are the Boyertown Burial Casket Co at 1124 W Washington Blvd and the Dresslar Hardware Co at 1130 W Washington Blvd. In between there's a dressmaker, a grocer and an apartment building. It looks like all of these buildings were still standing in 1980, but mostly gone by 1994. Today you'll just find a parking lot.

This is the 1980 view. Notice how the buildings survived the freeway construction (they're immediately above the freeway in the center).

Historic Aerials

The location is very close to the CHP building - I wonder if these buildings ever appeared in 'CHiPs'. I'll have to look .

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:19 PM

I found these 6 transit pics a couple months ago on eBay.

any one feel like matching the information on the neg. sleeves with the photo? I kept getting confused.

enlargements

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:41 PM

'mystery' location.

eBay

- note the R.R. sign.

& I believe the street number on the building is 1700.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 11:01 PM

'mystery' location #2

eBay

Not much to go on here -except for the turret on the corner building behind the bus.

and that street sign across the way that's much to small to read.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2016 at 11:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos