HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 4:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that the scenery probably has something to do with it.

Alaska:

Hudson Bay:

Also, the season would be much shorter for Hudson Bay. The ice usually breaks up in June so you wouldn't be able to start much earlier than Canada Day. Probably a maximum three month season.
They get highend cruise shops in Churchill

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
They get highend cruise shops in Churchill
On occasion, but nothing like the steady stream of huge cruise ships that go up along the West Coast to Alaska...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 5:57 PM

Any new photos of the development? It must be coming along pretty well now.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 6:07 PM
What could go wrong?

No pictures, but I was by it last night. It is a huge building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:38 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 2:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Thanks for the pictures WpgGuy. They don’t really capture the size of the building like seeing it in person. The part that extends down to the left in the pictures makes it seem like it is a different project, but it is just one giant “S” of a building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:22 PM

I'm sure this looks great from the Mere hotel location; a nice urban feel. I hope the extra population will encourage some more active redevelopment of the dock area. I know there has been pressure to recognize MMIW there and I would want some kind of respectful recognition as part of the presence, but in general a place to sit, enjoy a beverage and watch small boats come and go up and down the river on a lazy summer evening sounds like a dreamy urban experience we should aim for.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 4:56 PM

I like this project so far more than I thought I would. It's really taking shape nicely.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 5:40 PM

Is that boarded up old section of building in the last photo part of the original GWM complex? Is it to be also restored into something and/or part of this development?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Is that boarded up old section of building in the last photo part of the original GWM complex? Is it to be also restored into something and/or part of this development?
Yes it’s part of the development.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 6:14 PM

This project will add a huge number of renters to the area and provide additional patronage to Patent 5, Nonsuch and other vibrant business in the immediate area. We are hopeful upgraded pedestrian / auto shared access on Alexander Street will now be possible with proper landscaping and lighting. This would add to the connectivity and vitality of Waterfront North.

Holding my breath RNDSQR still has the appetite and energy to proceed with the Duncan /Galt / Waterfront site they have an option on.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
This project will add a huge number of renters to the area and provide additional patronage to Patent 5, Nonsuch and other vibrant business in the immediate area. We are hopeful upgraded pedestrian / auto shared access on Alexander Street will now be possible with proper landscaping and lighting. This would add to the connectivity and vitality of Waterfront North.

Holding my breath RNDSQR still has the appetite and energy to proceed with the Duncan /Galt / Waterfront site they have an option on.
There is certainly a lot riding on this project.
- The development of Alexander Docks
- The development of the former Eaton's warehouse
- The development of the Galt site
- Further development of Waterfront North
Godspeed to RNDSQR

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 7:19 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I'm sure this looks great from the Mere hotel location; a nice urban feel. I hope the extra population will encourage some more active redevelopment of the dock area. I know there has been pressure to recognize MMIW there and I would want some kind of respectful recognition as part of the presence, but in general a place to sit, enjoy a beverage and watch small boats come and go up and down the river on a lazy summer evening sounds like a dreamy urban experience we should aim for.
I would love to see some sort of dock return as well - we need to embrace the rivers and the history of this area as one of our main docks lends itself to that. That being said a memorial for Tina Fontaine and MMIW should certainly also be built here. I hope they seriously look at this project as a waterfront hub for the East exchange - a multifunctional, reflective, and vibrant urban space for all.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I would love to see some sort of dock return as well - we need to embrace the rivers and the history of this area as one of our main docks lends itself to that. That being said a memorial for Tina Fontaine and MMIW should certainly also be built here. I hope they seriously look at this project as a waterfront hub for the East exchange - a multifunctional, reflective, and vibrant urban space for all.
The Alexander Docks IMHO should be in keeping with the Forks model or base of Legislative Building on the Assiniboine. It’s not a huge financial expenditure and will help create conditions for more development of Waterfront North. Forks North Portage has the resources / expertise to tackle this project. Scatliff should be given this mandate to design and oversee construction. (Authors of Go to The Waterfront) There is lots of land within this area to honour, respect and remember members of our community in addition to our shortcomings as a nation.

We just need to start moving on this. It’s been dragging along for years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 4:29 AM

^Well put

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 10:56 PM

I always really liked this submission from that competition a while back. I think the movies at Assiniboine park are pretty popular and I bet movies here in the summer would be too if the space was nice. Having somewhere to store a kayak or canoe for nearby residents would be awesome if it was fairly secure. Of course there should also be space dedicated to MMIW.

This could also act as a stop for a waterbus between the exchange and the forks and beyond. From a tourism perspective, a city-wide waterbus could be pretty great. You could stay at a hotel in the exchange or the forks and travel via boat to destinations like the Leaf, zoo, and Rainbow Stage.
Small stain

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:09 PM

The Assiniboine is too shallow for water taxis past route 90

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
The Assiniboine is too shallow for water taxis past route 90
Fair point. I wonder though if there's another type of boat that could be used that doesn't sit very low in the water. Some sort of jet boat maybe?

In the end it's probably a pipe dream but if some sort of water taxi network could be built it would be awesome.
Small stain

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 11:30 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
Fair point. I wonder though if there's another type of boat that could be used that doesn't sit very low in the water. Some sort of jet boat maybe?

In the end it's probably a pipe dream but if some sort of water taxi network could be built it would be awesome.
Steamboats used to go up the Assiniboine as they were designed for the shallow river bottoms - I'm sure the fluvial dynamics have changed this by now - but I'm sure we could find a way to get a small water bus to Assiniboine park. Would definitely depend on the season though as at certain times of the year there are points so shallow you could almost cross by foot.

Source - (Pg. 33 talks about Steamboats on the Assiniboine) https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/hrb/intern...s_Manitoba.pdf

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:13 AM

^the historic riverboats on the Assiniboine always fascinated me. There are railway bridges over the Assiniboine at Rte 90 and in Headingley designed to swing open for riverboats. But I think neither ever operated because the railways basically put the boats out of business. But those boats only operated during the spring high water. I’m sure with enough money the shallow sections could be engineered and dredged to deepen the channel for navigation out to the park, but thats just a pipe dream of mine. Would be cool though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan