HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:30 PM

If this was the project we lost out on, article is only 2 weeks old, we lost out big time..This doesn't even surprise me a bit

By Sarah Silbert posted Apr 22nd, 2013 at 2:43 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/22/f...-altoona-iowa/

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
If this was the project we lost out on, article is only 2 weeks old, we lost out big time..This doesn't even surprise me a bit

By Sarah Silbert posted Apr 22nd, 2013 at 2:43 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/22/f...-altoona-iowa/
The free press article said 1.2 billion over 10 years, so very well could be the same one. The number of permanent jobs wouldn't be that many though. Regardless, Facebook said it was government privacy laws that nixed the project so, nothing that can be done from a local level about that.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 6:56 PM

This officially confirms the whole mismanagement of the CentrePort development as an embarrassment and disappointment for the Province, the City, and the entire country of Canada. Whether the privacy law was an issue, or NOT, the fact that this mess caused a MAJOR tenant like facebook to 'move on' really hurts.

That image of the partially built rail overpass in the middle of nowhere is going to be the symbol of failure for years to come as the disappointments continue to mount.

Sorry for the negative attitude, but I just lost all remaining faith I had in the Provincial and Civic governments.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:09 PM
BANNED

So what are people going to do about it?

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
So what are people going to do about it?
Relect Sam Katz, re-elect the NDP, and reassert Phil Sheegl's 'parking pass' for the city hall loading dock?
Yep, thats exactly what will happen.

I hate to say it, because I really don't like the alternatives, but this Province is in need of a change of government as much as the city is.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Relect Sam Katz, re-elect the NDP, and reassert Phil Sheegl's 'parking pass' for the city hall loading dock?
Yep, thats exactly what will happen.

I hate to say it, because I really don't like the alternatives, but this Province is in need of a change of government as much as the city is.
I meant what are people going to do about showing their ire about how Centre Port is being managed? Surely there must be some ways to start a grassroots movement to let Sam and Greg know how much trouble they are causing.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
I meant what are people going to do about showing their ire about how Centre Port is being managed? Surely there must be some ways to start a grassroots movement to let Sam and Greg know how much trouble they are causing.
Yes, I know -- just getting the last of the cynicism out...

And yes, I hope that enough people are following this to realize the magnitude of this loss for the rest of the project. Large, recognizable anchor tenants draw other tenants (I.e. the Industrial version of the IKEA effect).

If the Tories and Libs need some more ammo to attack the NDP, here it is...

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It never had any kind of a plan, it started without and remains without a major tenant. The entire concept of the thing never amounted to any more than "let's spend this big pile of money on something". How in the heck would anyone think something like could succeed?

Quote:
I meant what are people going to do about showing their ire about how Centre Port is being managed?

Nothing. I bet less than 1/10 of 1% of the electorate even know this thing exists. Nobody cares.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yes, I know -- just getting the last of the cynicism out...

And yes, I hope that enough people are following this to realize the magnitude of this loss for the rest of the project. Large, recognizable anchor tenants draw other tenants (I.e. the Industrial version of the IKEA effect).

If the Tories and Libs need some more ammo to attack the NDP, here it is...
I was going to go on a rant after reading both the WFP articles, and the speculation about it's move to Iowa. The loss of an 80+ billion $ corporation, expanding here is pretty sad my friend. I've just gotten pretty numb..to these announcements. So I'll just bold your post on how I feel. Anybody saying this is unimportant or irrelevent is well...nevermind.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:33 PM

1.2 Billion dollars would sure go a long way to help get us out of our infrastructure crisis.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:46 PM

My boss's Son is going to be running in the next Provincial election with the Liberal Party. He's very upset about this development, and the general mismanagement of the whole situation. I hope he'll bring this up where he has a chance to debate the other party members in his riding, but that's the only real voice I can lend a few words too.

You're right, 1/10 of a percent probably even know this exists.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:26 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The article says "primarily by the City of Winnipeg's refusal to extend water and sewer services to the Rosser lands". I thought the city was unable to extend water services, not that they refused. Am I missing something?
Yes you are.

Remember this is a Dan Lett article. This "refusal" spin will be trotted out during the NDP's election campaign and the blame can be placed squarely on the City. Mark my words.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 7:28 PM

The Headliner
Canstar Community News -
Possibility of Rosser annexation resurfaces in water dispute
By: Andrea Geary Posted: 05/10/2013 1:00 AM

Winnipeg mayor Sam Katz recently suggested that annexing a section of the RM of Rosser might be the quickest way to allow large-scale development in CentrePort’s Brookside Industrial Park West to proceed.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...206454731.html

What a concept

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the loss of fb was not provinces fault. the fact they managed to court them to look here should be aplaude

this did get the attention of one of the worlds largest ipv6 isp's to start expanding its network here... http://www.he.net/

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
this did get the attention of one of the worlds largest ipv6 isp's to start expanding its network here... http://www.he.net/
I scanned thier website and do see connections running from Montreal > Winnipeg >Calgary, but are you talking other expansion? I believe it did say they have 2 Data Centers in the US.
Is thier talk of expanding this to Manitoba? (data center) or some kind of major hub here, curious.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I scanned thier website and do see connections running from Montreal > Winnipeg >Calgary, but are you talking other expansion? I believe it did say they have 2 Data Centers in the US.
Is thier talk of expanding this to Manitoba? (data center) or some kind of major hub here, curious.
Looking at this PDF document, it looks like they're using a data center called "Global Server Centre" on 167 Lombard Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3B 0V3

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
167 Lombard Ave
Grain Exchange Building

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:52 AM

I never did think the Facebook data center would be a good fit for Centerport due to the cost of extending high cap fiber to the site.

Most of the fiber Point of Presence (pop) in Winnipeg are all in the Portage and Main area due to the MTS Portage Ave east and the old CN/CP communications (now MTS/Allstream) buildings having connections to the lines running down the CN and CP rail lines. The Canwest building has a major POP as does the Grain Exchange (at least 2) and the building at 1 Wesley has at least 1.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 12:25 PM

Do you know if there is any located in Headingly? Because apparently they were very interested in that area as well. So maybe the lack of POP pushed them from Centreport to Headingly.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Do you know if there is any located in Headingly? Because apparently they were very interested in that area as well. So maybe the lack of POP pushed them from Centreport to Headingly.
The site they were essentially one signature away from was in Headingley close to the new Women's Prison. The lack of water servicing in CentrePort was the reason they walked away from that site.

....regarding if it was a good fit or not, i have trouble believing a billion dollar investment in the capitol region area is not a good thing. The press alone with having one of the largest data centres in the world plus having Facebook's name on it would do wonders for the marketing of our region.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan