HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 9:49 PM

Serenbe, Georgia

Last April (yeah, procrastination!) my wife and I attended a wedding in Serenbe, Georgia. Serenbe is a planned New Urbanist community in semi-rural Georgia that has a walkable mainstreet, a variety of architecture, and an organic farm. These photos are from our visit.

The Seductive Power of a Suburban Utopia
https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/...utopia/555329/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:03 PM

I was going to ask if this was Georgia the state or the country; then I opened the link.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the pics!

Architecturally speaking, Serenbe is maybe the best new-urbanism greenfield development that this country has produced. And the interplay with the greenery is very well done.

Of course, it still has all the issues that come with other privileged, "walkable" New Urbanist suburbs that don't have any transit connections etc.

But, I think it's really refreshing to see all the modern architecture that is scaled well with the typical traditional styles you typically find in these developments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 2:20 PM

I love Serenbe, it feels almost magical. I could certainly happily retire there, and it's only 30 minutes from the Airport.

Nygren has done a fantastic job in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:43 PM

Serenbe has been on my list of places to visit. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 9:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Interesting to see Serenbe after this thread in City Discussions. Unfortunately it appears to be a lot more Disney-ish and structurally suburban than suggested. Still a big step up from typical sprawl though, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:07 AM

It looks nice.

One thing missing from this community is "organicness". There are a variety of buildings with different architectural styles, but they were all built in the last 5 years or so. In a small town, a few buildings are built in 1883. One gets replaced with something from 1905. Another gets replaced with something from 1921. Another is replaced by something from 1933. And so on. Then you have buildings that served different purposes at different times. You won't get that here. The next step in a new urbanist development would be to purchase and move historic buildings slated for demolition, such as farmhouses.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 2:47 AM
them bones

I think it will be very interesting to see in another 5 years. One thing I note is that it certainly doesn't feel like the odd homogenized Duany Plater-Zyberk new towns (Seaside) and their subsequent offspring and copycats.

I'm usually near Atlanta 2X a year visiting wife's family (about an hour east of this development off I-75). Was just there in January. I'll have to make sure to venture over there next time I'm back.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I think it will be very interesting to see in another 5 years. One thing I note is that it certainly doesn't feel like the odd homogenized Duany Plater-Zyberk new towns (Seaside) and their subsequent offspring and copycats.

I'm usually near Atlanta 2X a year visiting wife's family (about an hour east of this development off I-75). Was just there in January. I'll have to make sure to venture over there next time I'm back.
I was actually going to comment that it clearly does borrow from Seaside, in a Georgia pastoral context over coastal Florida. Seaside appears to be the winner, but this is quite nice too.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 2:46 PM

This is just the first of three Villages, there may be more planned - I'm not completely sure. It's definately worth the drive out from Atlanta for anyone visiting.

There's another interesting new development east of Serenbe in Fayette County, Pinewood Forest. It's not as pastoral as Serenbe, but it's shaping up very nicely. It's directly across from the massive Pinewood Studios.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 6:12 PM
Me?!?

Looks cool, I will have to check it out one day!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:25 AM

How new is this? Many of the street and landscape trees look more mature than having just been planted.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos