HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:23 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

(words are important.)
You are arguing over this why? Seems like a very non important off topic thing. Just disagree and move on.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
You are arguing over this why? Seems like a very non important off topic thing. Just disagree and move on.
the last part is a clue for you. that, and he's a nice guy.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
the last part is a clue for you. that, and he's a nice guy.
I have never met him in person, but I also never claimed he wasn't a "nice guy." I am sure he is, I also think he falls under pretentious architect. So, feel free to disagree if you want, but I am moving on from this nonsense....

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:21 PM

size matters

Interesting that the same concern over window size has not also been directed at Skylab's tower on E. Burnside. The same visual effect is at play, oriented 90 degrees. One could argue that this so-called "inhumane" treatment is more cynical in Skylab's residential application, as those who can afford to live on higher floors will rewarded with more "humane" living conditions (i.e. views, natural light). That being said I happen to like the effect on both buildings from a visual design standpoint, and though I believe an opportunity was missed to create something special at this "gateway" location in the Pearl, these Station Place revisions are a big improvement from the initial uninspired design.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:17 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
One could argue that this so-called "inhumane" treatment is more cynical in Skylab's residential application, as those who can afford to live on higher floors will rewarded with more "humane" living conditions (i.e. views, natural light)
Conversely, those who live closer to the street get more privacy. So there is that.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
Interesting that the same concern over window size has not also been directed at Skylab's tower on E. Burnside.
I mistakenly assumed they'd be using two different kinds of glass - clear and tinted, kind of like the Mosaic condos building that has clear and green tinted glass.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I mistakenly assumed they'd be using two different kinds of glass - clear and tinted, kind of like the Mosaic condos building that has clear and green tinted glass.
I think that is what I was initially thinking as well, so that is why I was surprised to see the lower floors lack windows.

**edit: Oops, I was thinking of a different building when I typed this, thought I was clicking on a completely different page.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
One of the Pearl's next office buildings takes shape

An eight-story creative office building planned for the Pearl District is coming into sharper focus as the project team tees it up for design review with the city.

Currently called Ninth & Northrup, the 167,000-square-foot building is the latest from developer Williams & Dame Development. Earlier this year, WDD purchased the vacant property at the corner of Northwest Ninth Avenue and Northrup from the Portland Development Commission for $7.4 million.

The new office building, designed by Hacker and GBD Architects, will offer seven floors of creative office space plus ground floor retail. Howard S. Wright will be the contractor.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:25 PM

Drawings [PDF - 122 MB]. Concept remains the same as was presented at DAR, but with some minor tweaks. A few new renders. Staff report [PDF] recommends approval.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Nov 25, 2015 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

Design Commission approved this Thursday last week.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:14 AM

A partial permit for excavation and piling at Station Place Lot 5 was issued to Hacker Architects:

Quote:
Partial Permit for new 8 story building, scope includes erosion control/site preparation, excavation/piling, underground utilities, entire concrete structure.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:40 AM

It's about time!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:40 PM

I haven't been by this site in a while, but portlandmaps now shows the project as being "Under Inspection". Has worked started?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I haven't been by this site in a while, but portlandmaps now shows the project as being "Under Inspection". Has worked started?
No ... A couple of 55-gallon drums have been sitting on the site for months, and they haven't moved an inch. The only activity all year has been temporary storage for what look like packing materials/construction debris from the Cosmopolitan interiors.

Rumor has it that the developers might be waiting for some tenants to commit ahead of construction. That's just an unsubstantiated rumor circulating among the affected neighborhood residents.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 9:32 PM

The main building permit is actively being worked on, with revisions submitted 08/16/2016, 09/23/2016 and 10/19/2016, so I doubt the project is on hiatus.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The main building permit is actively being worked on, with revisions submitted 08/16/2016, 09/23/2016 and 10/19/2016, so I doubt the project is on hiatus.
Probably just our wishful thinking then... But the reality is, nothing has moved on that lot; it looks the same as last year.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:35 AM

I noticed a crane on site tonight when I drove by. Didn't get a great look since it was after dark, but it looks like things are moving!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:41 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision for changes to the previously approved design, including changing the "light-gray colored brick to dark-gray colored brick (the same color brick is used on the Pearl West office building)".

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 2:35 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland