HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

500 Folsom Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:26 AM

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just telling you what I think and my opinion of it. That’s all.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just telling you what I think and my opinion of it. That’s all.
The problem is, I think, that your opinion is always the same--strongly negative--and voiced in unequivocal terms. If you are going to make short, unexplained pronouncements on each project, how about doing so on ones you like (if any) as well as ones you don't.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The problem is, I think, that your opinion is always the same--strongly negative--and voiced in unequivocal terms. If you are going to make short, unexplained pronouncements on each project, how about doing so on ones you like (if any) as well as ones you don't.
Friendly advice. This person (troll) is on another site under lovecities888 and has been ostracized for his negative and not contributing whatsoever to development issues. It is best, in my opinion, to ignore this person and hopefully he will go away.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:34 AM
Sonoma Strong

I like this building. I haven’t been in The City that recently but from what I saw, plus these pics, I think it’s turning out nice. They could’ve just built a bland box, but they aren’t. It has a good “texture” (or whatever you want to call it)

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 5:43 AM

I love it! It certainly adds a nice contrast to all the 'standard' (for lack of a better term) looking facades in the area.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 10:04 PM
Build Baby Build

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 3:29 AM
Metal Up Your !

I will jump on the dislike wagon. I've seen this in person a few times, and it's such a big bummer. It's fat and squat. No proportions to speak of. If anything, it's low-tier filler material.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 5:35 PM

^^At 440 ft it's hardly "squat". It's a nice looking tower and it is taller than most of the condos in Vancouver that so many people gush over. I personally wish the inset areas were some other color as I've said, but that's a minor detail and I like the "stacked cube" design. It's joining a very nice row of towers on Folsom. These are all residential so they can't be the sort of showpieces as far as quality of materials that companies sometimes build as vanity projects for their headquarters but given the cost constraints that condo purchasers and apartment renters have, even in million $ homes, this is nicely done by a solid architect (SOM) IMHO.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 4:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
^^At 440 ft it's hardly "squat". It's a nice looking tower and it is taller than most of the condos in Vancouver that so many people gush over.
Perhaps he’s referencing the fact that it’s a square box, unlike the others. 525 Market is a classic example of how boring that shape can be, even though the facade is different on this tower.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 7:17 AM

To my eye, if you want to talk about "squat", I'd cite the original design for 75 Howard:

That's one that I really think would have its appearance improved by being taller. But I understand the phobia of a "wall on the waterfront" keeping it shorter than it should have been. Still, although squatness aside, I liked that original design better than the final one, the final one doesn't look so "squat" because they emphasized the verticle lines rather than the horizontal:

Both images: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...tion-pgre.html

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
To my eye, if you want to talk about "squat", I'd cite the original design for 75 Howard:

That's one that I really think would have its appearance improved by being taller. But I understand the phobia of a "wall on the waterfront" keeping it shorter than it should have been. Still, although squatness aside, I liked that original design better than the final one, the final one doesn't look so "squat" because they emphasized the verticle lines rather than the horizontal:

Both images: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...tion-pgre.html
The first rendering in the approved and under construction design.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:45 PM

^^Well, good--so we'll have a nice "squat" though interesting design instead of an unsquat mediocre one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:08 PM
Build Baby Build

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:37 PM

We're basically done with another high-rise building in San Francisco! Another great addition to the skyline that the world will see.

Can't wait to see the aerial coverage from national stations for future Giants + Warriors games

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
We're basically done with another high-rise building in San Francisco! Another great addition to the skyline that the world will see.

Can't wait to see the aerial coverage from national stations for future Giants + Warriors games
I'm more excited to see approved building permits, excavation and cranes for the nearly dozen or so other projects in the area. Hell, even a new rendering or two for some of the lots/projects planned within a few blocks of this one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
I'm more excited to see approved building permits, excavation and cranes for the nearly dozen or so other projects in the area. Hell, even a new rendering or two for some of the lots/projects planned within a few blocks of this one.
Of course! But seeing a high rise go through all that AND THEN seeing it almost complete is another story!

I can't wait for the day to Oceanwide Center to be completed too

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:37 AM

Another angle

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:25 AM

Looks so nice!!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 10:23 AM

It is a ugly and cheap looking building. Whoever designed it should be fired.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:39 PM

I walked passed this site this morning and really like the building. Are there BMRs within this development or did the developer build offsite? What is the projected opening date?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive