HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Now THAT is freaking cool! Are there any examples of something like currently in operation elsewhere? I'd make the drive up from the spend some money there as an excuse to try this out.
Yes, West Virginia University has a Personal Rapid Transit system, which takes passengers from downtown Morgantown to the university's campus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan..._Rapid_Transit

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:19 AM
heavy user of walkability

Station Park Green

I walked around Station Park Green at Hayward Park (San Mateo) Caltrain yesterday

they are still working on the residential building you can see in that previous shot, although its shroud has been off for some time. in general, this project seems to be going very slowly. I'd have to go back to old pics to see when this got underway, but it just seems like it has been forever. in any case, here is the street that runs between the office component (on right) and residential

the view from the interior of the project. as I recall, there are to be four buildings altogether. one is done; the two here are u/c. the train station is on the other side of the buildings straight ahead

the one in the left foreground is the done one

the 'Green' is starting to form

apparently the fourth building hasn't started yet

this is looking back into the interior from the train station side

I was looking at all that and feeling amazed that it was only going to be 600 units, until I remembered that in the middle of each of those buildings is a parking garage, so not so much housing for the buck here. still, a lot more than the 0 units that used to be there

PS: as you can sort of see in the first pic, no sign of activity on the Caltrain parking lot that sits between this project and the station. Caltrain had been trying to develop something there as well

Last edited by timbad; Aug 20, 2019 at 5:30 AM. Reason: last paragraph

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:00 AM

Hillsdale/Bay Meadows

a 20-min walk separates Hayward Park from the next station south, Hillsdale, where the Bay Meadows development is. it is also along that stretch that Caltrain is working on raising its tracks to grade-separate 25th Ave, and add new crossings at 28th and 31st Aves (moving north-to-south).

the bridge over 25th Ave was recently installed. looking west

looking south at the existing tracks next to the future elevated structure/bridge. the road will be lowered a bit once the train has been moved onto the structure

looking east. 25th Ave is a main access point for the San Mateo County Fairgrounds, just on the other side of the crossing

the future extension of 28th Ave, looking east from El Camino toward the train tracks

this barely-seen structure is a pedestrian underpass that I believe will be part of the relocated Hillsdale station (which I assume will be called Hillsdale/Bay Meadows?) between 28th and 31st Aves

I sincerely hope the plan is to make the connection to El Camino a little more conspicuous and user-friendly! I do seem to recall that the whole area between the tracks and El Camino is to be significantly redone.

31st Ave, again as seen from the El Camino side. the current Hillsdale station is just to the right of this street; the new one will be to the left

on the west side of El Camino, 31st passes through/under the revamped section of Hillsdale Mall

on the other side of the mall it hits a little roundabout

... and turns into a little quiet residential street

I've said it before, but Bay Meadows is lovely to walk around in. I am jealous of the lush and ample landscaping. a few examples

this is 28th Ave in Bay Meadows

I saw two parcels u/c. one was this:

(I think that leaves two or three residential lots still to develop, and there is one commercial lot left)

Last edited by timbad; Aug 20, 2019 at 6:22 AM. Reason: added landscape pics

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:31 PM

^^ Loving those pics!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:22 PM

South San Francisco

also stopped by South SF over the weekend. this is from Gateway Blvd looking toward Oyster Point Blvd. I don't think anything in this pic existed, what, four years ago?

(and I should mention, out of the pic kind of behind to the right was a massive construction site, which appears to be the next phase, after the building on the right in the pic, of the Gateway of the Pacific complex. reminder of this helpful site: http://construction.ssf.net/# )

some work on the Caltrain station reconfiguration was evident... this is the east side, where there will be shuttle pick up, accessed via pedestrian tunnel

on the west side, I think this is where the tunnel entrance will be, and I think a recent notice I saw said they were going to start work on it soon

Cadence is just about wrapped up. this is the west, South SF-facing side

how it meets the buildings on Grand, which is downtown's 'Main St'. look, it's orange.

Last edited by timbad; Aug 22, 2019 at 1:40 PM. Reason: added Caltrain link and Gateway of Pacific info

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:35 AM

San Carlos

phase II of the San Carlos transit village is wrapping up. this saw buildings erected on what used to be the parking lots immediately to the north and south of the historic Caltrain depot, as well as a remodel of the area in front of the depot itself.

moving north to south, as seen on a rather gray morning last week... the two northernmost buildings I think continue the residential pattern of Phase I from further north

then the depot is flanked by two commercial buildings

a glimpse of the remodeled plaza in front of the depot

and pulling away past the also recently completed parking lot/transit center

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:17 PM

^^ It's so crazy seeing the progress there. I remember joining/lurking this forum 3 years ago and you posting those photos... now it's almost all complete.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:58 PM

Concord Naval Weapons Station

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...photo-18202108

Quote:
... The emerging vision would place 13,000 housing units in structures ranging from multistory apartments above shaded colonnades to single-family homes on snug village greens. A transit corridor flanked by bicycle lanes would extend the length of the 3.4-mile-long site. Office buildings would cluster near the BART station at one end — parting to make room for a paseo-like footpath leading up to a ridgeline park.

The full plan and a draft environmental report aren’t expected before winter. Any vote by Concord’s City Council is likely to be at least a year away. ...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I've said it before, but Bay Meadows is lovely to walk around in. I am jealous of the lush and ample landscaping. a few examples

Those are some quite nice houses on the right!

And it will get even nicer once those trees get bigger (I do think more green space is needed though).

Quote:
phase II of the San Carlos transit village is wrapping up. this saw buildings erected on what used to be the parking lots immediately to the north and south of the historic Caltrain depot, as well as a remodel of the area in front of the depot itself.

moving north to south, as seen on a rather gray morning last week... the two northernmost buildings I think continue the residential pattern of Phase I from further north

then the depot is flanked by two commercial buildings

a glimpse of the remodeled plaza in front of the depot

and pulling away past the also recently completed parking lot/transit center

Nice architectural design as well there.

Thanks for the photos updates timbad!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
New investor partners with Boston Properties on massive San Jose office campus near Google project
By Matthew Niksa – Commercial real estate reporter, Silicon Valley Business Journal

A board that invests the assets of the Canada Pension Plan on Tuesday announced that it had partnered with office development giant Boston Properties Inc. to jointly develop Platform 16, a fully entitled 1.1-million-square-foot office campus near San Jose's Diridon Station . . . .

The project is slated to include three six-story office buildings and is adjacent to Google's planned, 6.5-million-square-foot transit village and to Diridon Station, which consists of Caltrain, VTA light rail and the ACE train and planned BART and high-speed rail lines . . . .

Boston Properties is demolishing existing single-story buildings and parking lots on the project site and relocating utilities off site. It expects to finish clearing the site by the first quarter of 2020, Sherman Chan, senior vice president of CBRE, told the Business Journal this week.

. . . construction on the project, which is fully entitled, can commence once the site is cleared and that it will take about three years. He said the buildings are designed to accommodate either a single high-tech tenant or multiple high-tech tenants due to its floorplates, which range from 25,000 to 90,000 square feet, 16 outdoor terraces, 15-feet floor-to-floor ceiling heights and its amenities.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...tml#i/11472249

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Renderings look fairly upscale. Will be interesting to see if it helps gentrify Concord which has gone downhill in recent years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Renderings look fairly upscale. Will be interesting to see if it helps gentrify Concord which has gone downhill in recent years.
Yikes. So many charged words (and I'm unsure of what you're trying to say tbh). Is it?:

The development looks high-end and you're interested in whether this development will be a catalyst for more development in the area because you're seeing that Concord has become more impoverished over the years and seen a disinvestment of private and public dollars?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:40 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

I didn't snap any photos, but I had dinner last night in downtown Redwood City. All of the new construction has really gelled, and RWC feels like a much bigger and busier place than I would have imagined. There were tons of people out even as the sun was setting on a November Sunday.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I didn't snap any photos, but I had dinner last night in downtown Redwood City. All of the new construction has really gelled, and RWC feels like a much bigger and busier place than I would have imagined. There were tons of people out even as the sun was setting on a November Sunday.
I work in RWC, and may be able to get some updated photos soon. in the meantime, there was this post from late last year

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:49 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

It's hard to tell from the freeway, or even from Caltrain, how much is packed into downtown Redwood City. It's providing a good example of growing a small city the right way--mixed uses and high densities within walking distance of the Caltrain station. How well served is downtown by SamTrans buses? Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see some photos. Looking at Google maps, I realize we didn't see the whole central area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
It's hard to tell from the freeway, or even from Caltrain, how much is packed into downtown Redwood City. It's providing a good example of growing a small city the right way--mixed uses and high densities within walking distance of the Caltrain station. How well served is downtown by SamTrans buses? ...
agree it's been encouraging to watch the development in downtown RWC over these last few years. it is palpably less 'sleepy'. my main gripe is there is still too much emphasis given to accommodating cars, ironically.

as far as buses go, there is a transit center adjacent to the Caltrain station with several bus bays where a number of routes converge. I don't have much occasion to use but one of them (I get in and out of RWC on the train, primarily), so I am not sure where all they go. I think a few at least are oriented along El Camino, which you can say forms the SW edge of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:37 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Nimitz Group closes deal to buy Mare Island shipyard from Lennnar
By Kevin Truong – Special Projects Editor, San Francisco Business Times
Nov 17, 2019, 11:33pm PST Updated 25 minutes ago

Developer The Nimitz Group has completed its purchase of 500 acres of land on Mare Island from residential developer Lennar.

With the acquisition of the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard, The Nimitz Group now holds more than 800 acres of land on Mare Island.

The property includes 3.6 million square feet of leased commercial, light industrial, manufacturing and office space with additional, entitled land and historical buildings cleared for adaptive re-use.

The Nimitz Group is a joint venture between between billionaire Memphis investor Gaylon Lawrence, Jr., and Dave Phinney, a winemaker who also owns Savage & Cooke Distillery on South Mare Island . . . .

(Before the deal, Lennar) added over 350 single-family homes to the site and was entitled for another 1,050 single-family and multi-family units, plus about 7 million feet of commercial space.

Outside of the property formerly owned by Lennar, The Nimitz Group acquired the 170-acre golf course on Mare Island and has an exclusive negotiating agreement with Vallejo to develop 157 acres on the island’s northern half, for which it’s proposed a 15-acre wine facility, a 56-acre film campus and industrial and park space . . . .

The developer has enlisted architect HOK for the master planning process for its Mare Island project.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...9qbjZ4WWYwZCJ9

I don't know. These individuals couldn't possibly have the resources of Lennar and if Lennar wanted out of the project, one wonders what they can do with it. But we'll see.

Also, 1400 homes on 800 acres of land seems way under-developed given our supposed "housing shortage". Admittedly, there would also be a lot of commercial development, with accompanying jobs, but I smell typical Bay Area NIMBYism at work.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I smell typical Bay Area NIMBYism at work.
The obnoxious price to pay for success.
Sad indeed.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:16 PM

More on Mare Island:

Quote:
. . . The city also announced on Friday that demolition of five more vacant buildings at the north end of the building had begun, to make way for redevelopment. On Sept. 29, Resource Environmental was awarded the contract to remove the buildings. Work started Nov. 13 and is expected to be complete by January.

This the second round of building demolitions at the north end and is funded by a Section 108 loan in 2017 from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The first removal of buildings was completed in the summer of 2018 . . . .
https://www.northbaybusinessjournal....-island-solano

Quote:
. . . One of eight redevelopment proposals the city received by the March 30 deadline, plan from the Nimitz Group includes 600,000 square feet of soundstages and other film production facilities on 56 acres and 365,000 square feet of wine warehousing, production, administrative offices and tasting facilities on 15 acres. Also proposed are 100,000 square feet of office space on 10 acres, 75,000–100,000 square feet of mixed-use space for commercial or retail businesses on 20 acres, and 37,000 square feet of industrial space on 20 acres. The remaining 36 acres would have a park and open space.

The proposal estimated that the project would create 1,500–1,600 jobs, and 75 percent of the space already has takers, based on received letters of intent to lease. Interested companies include SHM Partners Film Mare Island and vintners Joel Gott Wines and Safe Harbor Wine Partners . . . .
https://www.northbaybusinessjournal....nt?ref=related

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations