HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:59 PM
Look at me!

The 200m barrier will be breached slowly, gradually and organically. 10 years ago everyone on SSP and mtlurb were crying about the limit, but absolutely no developer even proposed a building beyong 100 or 120m...

Only now in 2019-2020 is this limit being reached, and there's still a decade's worth of empty lots and brownfield redevs in and around downtown montreal.

Only when saturation has peaked will the limit be reconsidered. And that's fine, I for one will be enjoying a 2025 skyline where we might have well over dozen 200m towers et al.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:29 PM
I am the law!

I don't understand the logic behind a height limit becoming obsolete because a couple buildings have reached it. Why institute a height limit if development will never obtain and surpass those heights? This is not the same as reevaluating heights limits as priorities change.

This forum prides itself on architecture being subjective and it is to a large degree. So, who exactly determine when a building's design is significant enough to exceed a height limit? The height limit become subjective in itself if architecture significance is all that is needed to exceed it.

I don't the details surrounding Montreal's height. It does seem superficial on the surface. One thing for sure is that the standard for all these new developments is significantly lower than past generations so it's no wonder number of metres tall takes precedence in conversation.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 10:00 PM
recession proof

The height limit is to preserve French Canada's identity: the crucifix. It's comparable to the crucifix in the National Assembly. Once it's removed other than language what makes Quebec unique? (I could see the Mont Royal cross being removed soon to please the pc police.)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The height limit is to preserve French Canada's identity: the crucifix. It's comparable to the crucifix in the National Assembly. Once it's removed other than language what makes Quebec unique? (I could see the Mont Royal cross being removed soon to please the pc police.)
The height limit has absolutely nothing to do with the crucifix. You can barely even see the crucifix from Downtown as it faces East off of the mountain (downtown is South).

The height limit was conceived to preserve the supremacy of Mount Royal and its silhouette as one of the city's defining features, as well as to preserve views of the St. Lawrence river from the mountain. That's it that's all.

It truly has nothing to do with the crucifix or any other structure (including the much more prominent telecommunications tower) that dwells on the mountain.

Here is the plan of current downtown height limits - note the crucifix does not appear on this plan.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...auteurs_25.pdf

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:37 AM

It’s a cross, not a crucifix ...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:21 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow, dickshit just did a thing for culture! Bravo for a glimmer of self awareness! It's already the largest museum in Western Canada, but it looks like a hardened nuclear bunker. Like able to withstand a 10 megaton thermonuclear detonation. It needs a looot of work.

Jason Kenney announces $40M for 'renewal' of Glenbow Museum
The premier said he hopes the funds will spur private investment in the project
DREW ANDERSON | February 21, 2020 | CBC NEWS

Quote:
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney pledged $40 million on Friday for the renovation and "complete renewal" of the Glenbow Museum in Calgary.

The institution, which houses art and historical artifacts, is seeking a total of $115 million to complete the project.

Kenney said he hoped the provincial government contribution would spur private donations and he encouraged the City of Calgary to also provide funds.

"I believe today's commitment will make it much easier for the board to go out and find those contributions."

Kenney said he wants to see the institution transform into one of the top cultural institutions in Canada.

The Glenbow introduced new CEO Nicholas Bell last year with a mandate for "a full transformation of its building and exhibit spaces."

Gallery space
Bell said on Friday that he wants the Glenbow to be "one of the most ambitious and progressive museum spaces in Canada."

Much of that focus will be on art and culture.

Kenney stressed that Calgary is an outlier among major cities for not having a significant public art gallery.

The announcement comes just one month after another significant art institution opened its doors.

Contemporary Calgary, which revamped the old Planetarium space on the west side of downtown, focuses on contemporary art and hopes to fund a major expansion of the space.

It is seeking $30 million from the Alberta government to help finance its expansion.
Full story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ject-1.5471377

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's been approved! LPAT approved two 32 floors buildings today.

http://hamiltonforward.ca/wp-content...EB-21-2020.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Here's some new renderings of Hamilton's Television City Condos. The towers are now both 32 floors/108.75 meters. They were previously 40 floors/135.5 meters and 30 floors/103.15 meters. The height reduction to the 40 floor tower means it will no longer be Hamilton's new tallest.

source

source

source

source

source

source

hamiltonforward.ca - TELEVISION CITY REVISED TO TWO 32-STOREY TOWERS

Street Level Views:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:24 PM
I am the law!

What's the reality of these towers being built with Fortress shut down?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 6:25 PM
Winnipeg

So according to a LinkedIn source, Winnipeg is potentially going to get a $110m-worth of high-rise in the future (not sure if this year). Any idea on how many floors are feasible with $110 million?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:25 PM
Community Guy

That would be a significant building... like 40-50 residential floors or more depending on the floor plate.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That would be a significant building... like 40-50 residential floors or more depending on the floor plate.
could be, but in the Winnipeg red river gumbo, you have to spend tens of millions on foundation work alone, and then factor in that the construction costs in Winnipeg are all inflated due to near monopolies on concrete and the very strong unions and all of the sudden 110 million doesn't buy you as much. Could be enough to buy you 30 floors if you did it on the cheap.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:54 PM
I am the law!

Don't even know what the $110 million includes

This is a totally guess based on nothing. 350 to 400 units with a all in cost around $300,000 per unit including parking.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:06 PM

1920 Sainte-Catherine. 200 units, rental.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 10:13 PM

Royalmount new proposal for Montreal. Lot of greenwashing, but better than the original proposal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ment-1.5475682

Not able to put pictures, but there is a lot on Mtlurb.com

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 10:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabmtl View Post
Royalmount new proposal for Montreal. Lot of greenwashing, but better than the original proposal.

Not able to put pictures, but there is a lot on Mtlurb.com
Snagged the photo URLs out of the source code of the article for you...

Also, love it

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:55 AM
I am the law!

Just terrible. An overwrought multifunctional space including render grand piano surrounded by some of the most hostile building blocks of any mega block development posted. This screams late 70s and 80s. I can visualize Liam Neesom's Darkman hanging around the construction site.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:14 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Don't even know what the $110 million includes

This is a totally guess based on nothing. 350 to 400 units with a all in cost around $300,000 per unit including parking.
It should be an apartment complex in the south end but that's not confirmed at all. Somebody threw out a number, I checked it with the basic plan and searched the developer. It's just my best guess but it fits. Two tower development of 13 and 15 stories in the far south end of the city. 110 million overshoots the mark by about 20 million on a guesstimate but as was stated earlier, construction costs in Winnipeg can be more expensive due to the soil conditions. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...hlight=pembina Good guess, WhipperSnapper. We should make a game out of this.

Last edited by Spocket; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 12:05 AM

If this gets built, this will be the skyline of a city with a population of 20,000!

Talk about punching above its weight!!

Overview
by Frank TKO, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 12:10 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Nice to see more of these mall redevelopments spreading across the country. They seem to be a particularly Canadian thing - it might just be my ignorance but I haven't seen nearly so many of them anywhere else as I have here.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 12:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I like the Hamilton towers - too bad they won’t include a new tallest though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada