Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:51 PM
recession proof

OneSpace Unlimited's Wellings of Calgary for the 55+ crowd:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPdP5uEX...name=4096x4096

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Judging by your post you'd think they were proposing something massive. This is basically on Yonge Street downtown and it's only 110m (34 floors). It will almost certainly be viewed as under scaled for the area within a generation or 2. Really short sighted imo; the City should be pressing for more efficient use (taller) of this lot. You've either got blinders on regarding the type of city we're building or you're suggesting that this only needs to be of suitable scale over the short term.

We've known for over a decade that the whole stretch of Yonge from the lake to Davenport will be intensified with 150-350m buildings (with some exceptions) the whole way. At only 110m this will likely be torn down for something larger 30-40 years from now. I agree that the proposal isn't good enough for Yonge though.
Naw, it's you with this unrealistic, dystopian vision based on an extreme obsession with height and continued confusion with height and density being the same thing. It's ironic how youv always accuse others/experts of being narrow minded when it is you that are fixated on an unsustainable dream of Dubai Marina 2.0.

At least you lowered your expectations somewhat. Originally it was 200 to 400 metres towers lining Yonge from the lake to Davenport. You also propose lane reductions. So a street with two lanes of traffic and a full capacity, twin tunnel subway line is supposed to service a million plus persons per square kilometre? We're not even getting into the meat and potatoes of what this density requires. Certainly you are not proposing low coverage 400 metre towers in parks dotting Asian cities or the pencil thin, low coverage 400 metre towers in North America with units that sell for $100 million.

Demolition of a 110 metre tower in 40 years doesn't seem very likely when 99% of the downtown is under 110 metres today. (and much of the recently built isn't 110 metres tall either)

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Jan 29, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:42 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
It has been posted before. It's just a flashy rendering. I will give its design props for being a senior development. Standards are usually a little above student housing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:53 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post

That rental tower off Gloucester looks like a recycled design.....just great. At least the design is honest about cladding quality...and this is apparently rental construction, which is another plus. Even if and it will likely be $$$, it's still more stock for the city and downtown.
This spandrel box is a huge disappointment for the original proposal. The only good is that it continues to give the heritage retail building facing Yonge breathing space as the original. Worst isn't the design. It's guaranteed to have the same bland, cramped living spaces as the 10,000 other recent units.

We are building a fraction of the rentals needed to make things more favourable to tenants. The only impact the 1000s of new units priced at the top of the market will do is make things less affordable. We need to stop giving props to overpriced, mediocre designed rental towers with bland, cramped living spaces. They are residental apartment units.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It has been posted before. It's just a flashy rendering. I will give its design props for being a senior development. Standards are usually a little above student housing.
So it’s not likely to proceed ?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:16 AM
I am the law!

How did you come to that conclusion?

The rendered design looks "cooler" than it is.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:32 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Haha - ok, got it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:57 AM

A very handsome proposal for rarely seen Kamloops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
Major commercial development announced for the downtown core.
The Hive — to be located behind the newly renovated Delta Hotels by Marriott — will be a mix of premium office space and retail space.

The first of what looks like 4 buildings will be anchored by Urban Systems head office. Construction to start this spring.

The entire site is currently a parking lot so this will be a game changer for the downtown.

Jan by , on Flickr

Jan by , on Flickr

Jan by , on Flickr

Jan by , on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:03 AM

Nice! I find Kamloops tends to fly under the radar but it's quite a nice city. I like that the aesthetic of this proposal is a bit different from the new stuff going up in Kelowna - this one looks more Eastern-Canadian in a way.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:16 AM

Great project, Kamloops.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:36 AM

Yeah, Kamloops actually has a really nice core and great topography.

This project suits the city well aesthetically.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:00 PM

This is a great looking little proposal for Kamloops. I have always liked Kamloops but as noted it seems to run under the radar due to Kelowna get more of the attention. That's a shame because I far prefer Kamloops over Kelowna and it has always had an interesting core and character.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 8:22 PM

The Bay Vancouver parkade redevelopment concepts

Sadly it appears that this is not the concept going forward but it is the precursor to what will.

Quote:
For years, there has been much speculation over the planned future redevelopment of the Hudson’s Bay parkade site in downtown Vancouver.

The city block-sized site — framed by West Georgia Street to the south, Seymour Street to the west, Richards Street to the east, and Dunsmuir Street to the north — is largely owned by Holborn Group, the local developer that is best known for Trump International Hotel & Tower Vancouver.

New office tower planned for corner of Georgia and Richards streets in downtown
In a previous interview with Daily Hive, Holborn Group CEO Joo Kim Tiah said he envisions a true “big city” redevelopment, on the scale and scope of what is typically found in some of the world’s largest cities. At the time, he said there could be ample retail, office space, and residential, and ideally an underground connection to CF Pacific Centre.

And now, two varying architectural concepts have emerged, with each illustrating a world-class, mixed-use redevelopment concept that brings a wide range of uses and an immense scale to each of those uses. The developer is believed to have quietly held an international design competition for the site sometime over the last few years.

The following is the only image of the updated concept.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/huds...-holborn-group

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 8:54 PM

It's a neat design but also a little garish. The greenhouses on the smaller towers seem redundant.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Sadly it appears that this is not the concept going forward but it is the precursor to what will.
Yeah man, I would be floored if something even close to this would get put through. A project like this would be game-changing for Vancity (much like Senakw is) in terms of highrise design. I am sure that the shorter glass box that replaces it will be just as mediocre in comparison to what could have been .

There is a housing crisis, and we need to speak up about it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 10:33 PM
I am the law!

I'm not seeing what you're seeing in terms of urban and architectural design. Vancouver has much better built and in the pipeline than this. Maybe if they squeezed in one more curve on this amorphous form there would be something for me to admire LOL

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 11:34 PM
ARTchitecture

I love that Vancouver vision.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 11:37 PM

YNG (rental, hotel, shops - Griffintown) 22 + 8 + 8

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:18 PM
Look at me!

At this point a 22 storey tower in Griffintown is a good filler. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:41 PM

Some more of The Mercer. Another underwhelming safe condo to ad to the Entertainment Districts table top. I at least hope the materials are close to what's shown here. I dolike that the Spadina portion of the new podium will have a warehouse look to it.

Source: urbantoronto.ca

Address 55 Mercer St, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 3W2
Category Condo, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Completion 2024
Height 510 ft / 155 m
Storeys 47
Number of Units 543
Developer CentreCourt
Architect IBI Group
Interior Designer figure3 Interior Design
Landscape Architect NAK Design Strategies
Marketing and Press L.A. Inc.
Website 55mercercondos.com
Email info@mercercondos.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada