HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:22 PM

Awesome new proposal near Cyrville Station, currently the lowest ridership station on the Confederation Line (possibly on the O-Train network).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Pierre Moffet and Denis Archambault under 6770967 Canada Inc. are proposing a development consisting of a mixed-use building complex at 1098 Ogilvie Road & 1178 Cummings Avenue, to be called "Lux Place". The complex is comprised of two podiums and three towers of various height. The project includes approximately 850 dwelling units and approximately 150 hotel rooms. The mixed-use development proposes an approximate total of 990 parking spaces located on a five storey underground parking, with 270 of those spaces being set aside for the hotel use and 720 spaces to be provided for residential and visitor uses. In addition to vehicular parking, a total of 431 bicycle parking spaces are required (425 for residential uses; 6 commercial uses). The requested bicycle parking spaces will be provided and located in the parking garage.

The three (3) towers of the complex are designed with podiums bases. The podiums are designed to be six (6) storeys in height. The proposed building design and shape, divides the building along its three main vertical components; A podium, a middle part and a top part. Specific design features contribute to emphasizing the lower floor of the buildings.

The northwest tower and the northeast tower are identical although the one at the northwest has twenty five (25) storeys and the one at the northeast has twenty seven (27) storeys. The tower at the southwest has a distinctive design. It has a squarer floor plate shape and a height of thirty six (36) storeys. The north podium defines the street edge along Cummings Avenue, Ogilvie Road and the future street, within the said triangle, linking Ogilvie Road and Cyrville Road.

Architect: PMA Architectes & Lapalme Rheault Architectes + Associés

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BMQ4JR

Siteplan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:44 PM

It looks like a Concord Pacific design from a decade ago.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:49 PM

60 Mill Street Toronto

(I think this is the 4th design and 4th hotel proposal now)

from urbantoronto.ca

A proposal to redevelop a disused heritage building in Toronto's Distillery District has resurfaced with an entirely reimagined plan. Rack House D, at 60 Mill Street, is located at the northeast corner of Trinity and Mill streets. The site was once the proposed location of the never-built 34-storey Gansevoort Hotel & Condos development. More recently, the site was subject to an OMB appeal, resulting in zoning approval for a 12-storey, mixed-use building rising 40 metres, that was to be developed by Cityscape and DREAM with a design by Saucier + Perrotte Architects. Despite the approval, the proposal has changed hands yet again, with Gupta Group now re-envisioning the plan for the site, and once again seeking approval for a tall building with hotel uses.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:20 PM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

I hate it. It looks like it's ripped straight out of the mid to late 70's and is as inspired as disco. I know the trend now is a return to designs like this but I wish we could skip it and go straight to pomo, art deco or anything but this style, frankly.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:48 PM
I am the law!

I hate it too and I don't have any issue with Modernism. It's a cheap, inspired design; attention to detail has given way to flair in a patterned facade.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:56 PM
arf

I don't hate it, it will probably have some really nice facade shadowing variation over the day, but ugh the transition between podium and tower is Ugly with a capital U and the podium is so terrible. Knowing full-well it is a heritage building, but that one face has little in common with what they building would have looked like in the day.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:08 PM

I also like the tower, I hate it on top of the old barrel house building. I'm surprised the Distillery doesn't already have a hotel. It seems lime the perfect place for a hotel or two.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:28 PM

8 Gloucester Rental Tower Resubmitted for Site Plan Approval

Source: urbantoronto.ca

Address 8 Gloucester St, Toronto, Ontario, M4Y 1L5
Category Rental, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Number of Buildings 1
Height 362 ft / 110 m
Storeys 34
Number of Units 232
Developer Angel Developments, Tricon Capital Group Inc.
Builder Angel Developments
Architect Graziani + Corazza Architects, ERA Architects
Landscape Architect Claude Cormier + Associés
Commissioning EQ Building Performance Inc.

Updated design

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:42 PM
Midtowner since 2K

For the love of some deity, can we have something happen to this site which isn't a complete bombshell? This is a terrible proposal. Th height and density is way out of wack for the area...a 20 floor tower is still very tall but okay considering the importance of a hotel in the area....but this is just fundamentally a bad proposal. The heritage building is mutilated on one side with terrible window treatments, and the new building is meant to "float" above the old structure.....I wont say anything about the tower design because it's representative of the products Gupta makes....

Just look at their wonderful portfolio;
https://guptagroup.ca/residential/

That rental tower off Gloucester looks like a recycled design.....just great. At least the design is honest about cladding quality...and this is apparently rental construction, which is another plus. Even if and it will likely be $$$, it's still more stock for the city and downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:12 PM
The New Republic

Judging by your post you'd think they were proposing something massive. This is basically on Yonge Street downtown and it's only 110m (34 floors). It will almost certainly be viewed as under scaled for the area within a generation or 2. Really short sighted imo; the City should be pressing for more efficient use (taller) of this lot. You've either got blinders on regarding the type of city we're building or you're suggesting that this only needs to be of suitable scale over the short term.

We've known for over a decade that the whole stretch of Yonge from the lake to Davenport will be intensified with 150-350m buildings (with some exceptions) the whole way. At only 110m this will likely be torn down for something larger 30-40 years from now. I agree that the proposal isn't good enough for Yonge though.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 27, 2020 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:07 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I was referring to the tower proposed in the Distillery district for most of my prior post. Once I mention the Gloucester tower, I spoke only of that project. I agree more need to be done in terms of planning in the city, and downtown, though this tower is fine in terms of height.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I was referring to the tower proposed in the Distillery district for most of my prior post. Once I mention the Gloucester tower, I spoke only of that project. I agree more need to be done in terms of planning in the city, and downtown, though this tower is fine in terms of height.

Your post read a little confusing. I also thought you were talking about the rental tower at first. I was going to rebute your comment that it was too high density for the area lol.

It might turn out alright if the materials are what we see in the render. Look at the Livemore on Bay. Rental towers seem to be uping the game when it comes to materials. Perhaps investment companies see it as a better planning to use higher quality materials unlike private condo towers that can use funds collected by tenants to fix cladding.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
"Dude", they are so far from Brutalist. It seems to be only you who is obsessed with hating the limestone part if the design.
I'm not "obsessed" with hating it; I just don't like it. I find it boring and distracting. Hopefully the finished product looks nice, but as of right now I'm not a fan.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:38 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Apologies for the confusion. I consider the developer a bigger factor than the type of housing...and Gupta Group seems to be more amongst the Pemberton's and Tridel's of this boom, just going by their residential projects alone, although to take the other side, they are a new developer when it comes to residential development.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I'm not "obsessed" with hating it.

And yet you keep bringing this back up.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:33 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
And yet you keep bringing this back up.
Only because I'm responding to you and you taking issue with my not liking it.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:25 PM

The proposal is terrible but pretty much par for the course on Yonge Street. That ship has sailed and it was justified every step of the way with "oh well at least it's better than having x here instead" or "it will just be filler by the end"

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Only because I'm responding to you and you taking issue with my not liking it.

That or you could move on like we all did a page ago. We've been discussing 3 new proposals, none of which are Brutalist btw.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The proposal is terrible but pretty much par for the course on Yonge Street. That ship has sailed and it was justified every step of the way with "oh well at least it's better than having x here instead" or "it will just be filler by the end"

This is it's third rendition so don't get to attached to disliking it yet.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I don't hate it, it will probably have some really nice facade shadowing variation over the day, but ugh the transition between podium and tower is Ugly with a capital U and the podium is so terrible. Knowing full-well it is a heritage building, but that one face has little in common with what they building would have looked like in the day.
I honestly wouldnt mind if this type of canilevering/overhang was banned.

The all-glass section above the podium and butchering of the warehouse is atrocious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada