HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Do you see UBCO becoming independent of UBC over time or is that the reality already (despite the name)?
No. UBCO used to be an independent institution throughout the Okanagan called OUC (Okanagan University College). UBC took over the main Kelowna campus in the early 2000s to act as a separate campus in the UBC network, I guess similar to the University of California model. Since that time UBC has dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into the campus, and has expanded its student population from around 3,000 in 2005 to 10,000 today. They have just released an ambitious plan for the campus for 2040, where they anticipate a student population of nearly 20,000 by that point:

https://okmain.cms.ok.ubc.ca/wp-cont...tlook-2040.pdf

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Not the most fabulous proposal, but I would still categorize it as "good", or at least decent. This especially considering that it is the reactivation of an office building that was cancelled once the first floor was completed, at the beginning of the oil collapse. It will also include the long-awaited retail activation of the underpasses which bookend the site.

Residences on Tenth (formerly Place 10) - 34 storeys and 31 storeys - ~110 and ~100 meters - 840 rental apartments

This was the original project...

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jan 14, 2020 at 7:55 PM. Reason: Added original project

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Not the most fabulous proposal, but I would still categorize it as "good", or at least decent. This especially considering that it is the reactivation of an office building that was cancelled once the first floor was completed, at the beginning of the oil collapse. It will also include the long-awaited retail activation of the underpasses which bookend the site.

Residences on Tenth (formerly Place 10) - 34 storeys and 31 storeys - ~110 and ~100 meters - 840 rental apartments

I would say that this is much better than the original project. Two ~100m residential towers is an improvement from two short and mediocre office towers. An office lobby would have taken up more space and left less for street-level activation as well.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Nice to see how they integrated the only interesting part of the original design. I also like the wood on the bottom of the corner extension with the columns as well. Much more interesting and eye catching than it would have been inside a lobby.

The amount of rental being built right now is staggering. I have no idea how they'll fill it. And rental prices don't even seem to be going down in spite of the glut of units on the market.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

The amount of rental being built right now is staggering. I have no idea how they'll fill it. And rental prices don't even seem to be going down in spite of the glut of units on the market.
I've been spending a fair bit of time at work going over the Strategic Group portfolio that's gone into restructuring, trying to see what value can be picked out of it. The one thing that's stood out to me is how well the rental market has held up in Calgary. It's understandable that the residential market lags the commercial market and the demand would be more inelastic as you don't immediately pick up and move when the job market takes a downturn. The prices aren't even that cheap though, despite a relatively large amount of new supply. I've heard some not so uplifting stories of people taking the equity out of their house and moving into rental units since keeping up with a mortgage that was priced at the top of the market in 2013-2014 doesn't really make sense, but I can't imagine that's a widespread phenomenon.

There still seems to be robust demand for well-located mid-rise apartment buildings which is nice to see.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:53 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
We don't really have a glut. Yes in the downtown area there are thousands of units recently brought online and thousands more under construction, but most of them are filled. It's not a glut, it's just supplying a demand.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:07 PM
Fake News

Quote:
We don't really have a glut. Yes in the downtown area there are thousands of units recently brought online and thousands more under construction, but most of them are filled. It's not a glut, it's just supplying a demand.
There's also the West Village Towers coming online soon. Even in the burbs there's a crazy amount of units going up. I know someone who is moving out of a newish rental building in Auburn Bay because the rent keeps climbing. It's currently at $1600 a month for a 2 bedroom unit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:14 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
There's also the West Village Towers coming online soon. Even in the burbs there's a crazy amount of units going up. I know someone who is moving out of a newish rental building in Auburn Bay because the rent keeps climbing. It's currently at $1600 a month for a 2 bedroom unit.
West Village is barely the tip of the iceberg. They account for like 450 out of like 3000, maybe 4 or 5000 in the inner city alone. Curtis Block, One, Arris East, 500 Block, Redstone, Underwood, Telus Sky... the list goes on. And that's just the current UC rental projects in the core areas that I can think of.

There a rumblings about a massive new two-tower rental proposal by Oxford taking up an entire block in the east Beltline possibly starting soon. Stay tuned!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:33 PM
I am the law!

The resiliency of rental construction post oil boom shouldn't come as surprise. It is a downgrade from the unusually high percentage of home ownership during the oil boom. My guess the number of 20 somethings buying houses is in rapid decline. It's a bad investment right now even for those that are fortunate enough to afford it.
Unfortunately, it also looks like rental purgatory could be in the not to distant future or, in other words, never will be able to save enough to buy a house.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The resiliency of rental construction post oil boom shouldn't come as surprise. It is a downgrade from the unusually high percentage of home ownership during the oil boom. My guess the number of 20 somethings buying houses is in rapid decline. It's a bad investment right now even for those that are fortunate enough to afford it.
Unfortunately, it also looks like rental purgatory could be in the not to distant future or, in other words, never will be able to save enough to buy a house.
It already is. Between the change in stress testing for new mortgages and the overall combined lack of money in the millennial generation compared to their parents makes rental housing the only growth industry in real estate these days and why almost every project in Edmonton is adding or considering some conversion to rental it seems...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:40 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
West Village is barely the tip of the iceberg. They account for like 450 out of like 3000, maybe 4 or 5000 in the inner city alone. Curtis Block, One, Arris East, 500 Block, Redstone, Underwood, Telus Sky... the list goes on. And that's just the current UC rental projects in the core areas that I can think of.

There a rumblings about a massive new two-tower rental proposal by Oxford taking up an entire block in the east Beltline possibly starting soon. Stay tuned!
5000 under construction in the inner city?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:43 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
It already is. Between the change in stress testing for new mortgages and the overall combined lack of money in the millennial generation compared to their parents makes rental housing the only growth industry in real estate these days and why almost every project in Edmonton is adding or considering some conversion to rental it seems...
Fair point. It's just Toronto takes being stuck renting for the rest of your life to a whole new level. It's not exclusive to cash strapped millennials. Their parents are priced out of the market too.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:05 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Fair point. It's just Toronto takes being stuck renting for the rest of your life to a whole new level. It's not exclusive to cash strapped millennials. Their parents are priced out of the market too.
And Vancouver where nobody can afford to live!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Not exactly a proposal, but the Stampede has released their 4-year plan for their territory. not bad at all.

I like it as well. I just wish the connection from the red line LRT (from the west) to the Event Center was better - more direct and lined with retail/bars/restaurants - similar to what the green line connection will be from the north.

Pretty cool what is happening and being proposed for Kelowna - although I will always prefer Penticton.
Bring back “40 foot Fred” I say (those of you westerners my age will understand that reference).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:13 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
5000 under construction in the inner city?
5000 is pretty accurate I would say.

I like “Residences on 10th” better than “Place 10”. But man I wish the towers were split 54 - 11 storeys, or at least 44-21.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
5000 is pretty accurate I would say.

I like “Residences on 10th” better than “Place 10”. But man I wish the towers were split 54 - 11 storeys, or at least 44-21.
Just be thankful they aren't identical like the old version and are tall enough to make a noticeable dent in the CPR gap between DT and Beltline.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:40 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Good points.
I am glad

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
New proposal in Downtown Ottawa, at the edge of the escarpment. The new tower will wrap around the historic Fleck House.

593 Laurier Avenue
17 floors, 85 units
Lets hope the quality matches the rendering. Good to see the house get the respect it deserves.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Nice to see how they integrated the only interesting part of the original design. I also like the wood on the bottom of the corner extension with the columns as well. Much more interesting and eye catching than it would have been inside a lobby.

Those simple office buildings had way more style then the ugly condos now proposed. They looked reminiscent of the international style movement of the mid 20th century. The condo's are forgettable if not ugly.

Here is an updated look at 292 Dundas Street West. The design has changed.

source: urbantoronto.ca
Address 292 Dundas St W, Toronto, Ontario
Category Condo, Institutional, Office, Public Space, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Height 342 ft / 104 m
Storeys 29
Number of Units 382
Developer Tribute Communities, Greybrook Realty Partners
Architect Graziani + Corazza Architects
Landscape Architect Janet Rosenberg + Studio
Planning Bousfields

New

Old

New

Old

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:39 PM

1540 Bloor Street West has had an update. This corner will never look good. Was this the former giraffe site?

Source: urbantoronto.ca
Address 1540 Bloor St W, Toronto, Ontario
Category Condo, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Height 185 ft / 56 m
Storeys 25
Number of Units 327
Developer Trinity Development Group Inc., Timbercreek Communities
Architect Core Architects
Landscape Architect Land Art Design
Planning Bousfields

New

Old

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada