HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:11 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Jesus, what did Guelph ever do to warrant that building's wrath?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:17 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
New tallest proposed in Guelph, Ontario - 25 floors mixed use

Reminds me of Sasso / Vetro mixed with a judge Dredd commie block.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:07 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Reminds me of Sasso / Vetro mixed with a judge Dredd commie block.
Sasso and Vetro are pretty in comparison to that. That's maybe pushing it, but they aren't quite as hideous as this. Which is incredibly sad.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:09 PM

Goodbye to one of the sketchiest McDonalds in Toronto.

XO Condos

source: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/12...g-and-dufferin
Address King St W & Dufferin St, Toronto, Ontario
Category Condo, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Height 208 ft / 63 m, 176 ft / 54 m
Storeys 17, 14
Number of Units 297

Developer Lifetime Developments, Pinedale Properties
Architect Core Architects, Turner Fleischer Architects, GBCA Architects
Interior Designer Tomas Pearce Interior Design Consulting Inc
Landscape Architect Strybos Barron King
Engineering LEA Consulting
Other McIntosh Perry, Myles Burke Architectural Models
Website xocondos.com

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:38 PM

670 Progress Avenue Scarbourough
Source: https://urbantoronto.ca/

Address 670 Progress Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
Category Public Space, Residential, Retail
Status Pre-Construction
Height 617 ft / 188 m, 495 ft / 151 m, 430 ft / 131 m, 403 ft / 123 m, 301 ft / 92 m, 190 ft / 58 m, 190 ft / 58 m, 112 ft / 34 m
Storeys 60, 48, 38, 37, 28, 16, 16, 8
Number of Units 3039
Developer Fieldgate Urban
Architect IBI Group
Landscape Architect NAK Design Strategies
Planning Urban Strategies Inc.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:07 PM
ARTchitecture

A new one for near the western border of Calgary on the way out to the mountains, just off the Trans Canada. Part of the new Trinity Hills mixed use neighbourhood at the base of the Paskapoo Escarpment. Not bad at all, especially for a suburban tower in Alberta.

Wellings - 50 meters - 14 storeys

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....umentId=117323

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:16 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yeah, because to try to go through the approvals process to get the site rezoned, pay development fees, etc. takes a lot of time, money, and expertise. For anyone willing & able to go through with it they might as well just go for a 40-storey tower.

If the city didn't put up so many roadblocks for this sort of development (or, imagine - even actively encouraged them) though, there'd be a lot more of it. It's not as profitable as a 40-storey tower, but it also has a lower cost of entry & less risk, which makes it easier for smaller developers.

I've gone through the process. I didn't encounter roadblocks apart from there being a process which there should be. It does take time which you can plan around. A better way to encourage more of this development would be the opposite route; by making building 40 storey towers on sites zoned for 3 storeys out of the question. (note: I don't support this given some of Toronto's obsolete zoning)

It's not the process ruining the economics. It's the real estate values and construction costs. You cannot produce a lower cost of entry when even a tear down on a typical single family lot will cost over a million dollars. The costs have made renovating properties into monster homes risky since you're looking at a 2 million plus price point which is still easier than a tight condo unit in a new build for a million plus.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:21 AM
I am the law!

Southern Ontario is a black hole for architecture. Are we that surprised by the Guelph tower? It's probably a five or six out of ten. LMAO

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Southern Ontario is a black hole for architecture. Are we that surprised by the Guelph tower? It's probably a five or six out of ten. LMAO
That's generous. There is a tendency in this forum to really play up the bad in otherwise good looking proposals, but that Guelph one is one of the few legitimately unattractive towers I've seen in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 6:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's generous. There is a tendency in this forum to really play up the bad in otherwise good looking proposals, but that Guelph one is one of the few legitimately unattractive towers I've seen in this thread.
Yea I'm definitely one of those people who's good a nitpicking, but when the whole thing is one giant nit... I don't even touch it. I mean, what am I picking the nit off of? What's the point?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 6:41 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Would be great if someone (Koops65??? Pretty Please!) could make a model for it.
Done...

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=103566

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 6:47 PM

337 Montgomery in Ottawa's Vanier neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Updated imagery:

2098 Avenue P near the O-Train Line 1 railyards and a short walk from St-Laurent Station north of the Queensway and Tremblay Station (along with the VIA Rail Station) a few blocks north-east, south of the Queensway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
CLV Group has submitted a Site Plan Control application to permit the development of a Planned Unit Development consisting of a 5 and 6 storey residential use buildings on the subject property. The buildings will have a total of 124 apartment units, with corresponding amenity space and a combination of underground and surface parking. The building orientation follows the corresponding property line to allow an appropriate setback from the Rail line to the south while still respecting the required setbacks from the existing dwelling units to the north of the building.

The development proposal is for two buildings (Building A and B). Building A consists of a 5-storey residential building with 54 units and 35 underground parking spaces. The unit mix will include studios, one (1), two (2) and three (3) bedroom apartments. In addition to private balconies, communal amenity space will be located at-grade and on the rooftop of the 5th floor. The building supports an active frontage along the private access with glazing and articulation of the building façade, with ample landscaping. Building B consists of a 6-storey residential building with 70 units and 32 underground parking spaces, and has been designed in a similar manner as Building A. The at-grade amenity space will provide a link between the buildings and can be used by both buildings A and B. In total, the development will yield a total of 136 parking spaces, 67 underground parking spaces and 69 surface parking spaces with 57 spaces reserved for residents and 12 for visitors.

Note: According to the Site Plan Control Application Summary this site is currently part of the 530 Tremblay Road parcel, but will eventually to be re-addressed as 2098 Avenue P as the main address (and 1399 Avenue U as a subordinate).

Architect: Project1 Studio

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BPPC0W

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:42 PM

337 Montgomery looks like 1990's low income housing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:54 PM

Proposal in London at the forks of the river. 40 floors & 125 metres. Huge asterisk with this one - it's being proposed by Farhi, who owns a lot of land downtown but has a history of proposing & never building. But you never know.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...s/OZ-9157.aspx

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:54 PM

17-storey wood tower with LGBTQ community centre proposed for downtown Vancouver

Kenneth Chan | Dec 17 2019

Artistic rendering of 1190 Burrard Street in Vancouver with QMUNITY. (ZGF Architects / New Commons Development)

A 17-storey, mixed-use wood tower with the new home of QMUNITY and 139 units of social housing will help bookend downtown Vancouver’s Davie Village at its eastern boundary.

Non-profit housing developer New Commons Development and ZGF Architects have submitted a rezoning application to redevelop 1190 Burrard Street — the northeast corner of the intersection of Burrard Street and Davie Street, currently occupied by low-storey commercial buildings dating as far back as 1912.

Every aspect of this redevelopment on the city-owned property is designed purposefully for the Vancouver’s LGBTQ community.

There will be a new 13,427-sq-ft LGBTQ community and social service centre within a portion of the ground level and the entirety of the second level — a relocation of QMUNITY from its existing cramped location at 1170 Bute Street. The glass facade and architectural fins of the exterior of the first two levels carry the colours of the rainbow.

Artistic rendering of 1190 Burrard Street in Vancouver with QMUNITY. (ZGF Architects / New Commons Development)

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1190...couver-qmunity

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:57 PM

Wow that's ugly.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:00 PM

anything is better than this

Site of 1190 Burrard Street, Vancouver. (Google Maps)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:19 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Wow that's ugly.
What? You think it's ugly? Sounds like more internalized homophobia.

But seriously, despite it being fairly simple and plain I don't mind it other than the rainbow glass which, although I appreciate the symbolism, I still find jarring and out of place. Things have to do more than offer symbolism. They also have to look good and make for a cohesive design.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:34 PM

I like it, it's social housing too, so they aren't going to go over the top with it and it is a wood structure.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:13 AM
ARTchitecture

I love it. Institutions like that are super important, and super under-funded. Can't expect a masterpiece, the street level is pleasant. More than good enough.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada