HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
^Wow thanks for posting that. I knew about a second tower but had never seen the drawing. Even tho TD tower is very much of its time, it has a sleekness and classiness that is undeniable. Shame it wasn't built.
It always bugged me that TD Centre wasn't built out with the second tower and the podium. As nice as the existing tower is, it would have looked much better as originally envisioned, especially given that the lot was cleared for the second tower leaving a big empty void at its base.

Given how much growth there has been downtown since TD Centre opened in 1990, I find it a bit surprising that the second tower was never built... certainly for the first 20 years of its existence that tower was "the" prestige downtown location although I suppose that stretch from 1990-2010 was a relatively slow growth era.

I'd be curious to know whether Harvard has seriously shopped the site around. I recall the excitement when Canwest had plans of its own for that site as vike mentioned, but nothing materialized. Those plans were OK but not great, so it wasn't necessarily a huge loss.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Canwest Proposal

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

...another view of the TD Centre Proposal

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:34 PM
What could go wrong?

The other side of 201 Portage proposal that almost made it:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:54 PM

Wasn't the original proposal for the second 201 Portage tower on the site of what is now the courtyard? The Canwest tower was a separate building that was torn down but had formerly housed the Impark office. Rumor is that building got torn down largely to save David Asper seconds getting to his parking spot (aka it was torn down to make a private driveway). And the hotel project is obviously on Main St as was the proposed Hydro Place.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:56 PM

Thanks for that walk down memory lane, Biff!

It's amazing how many times projects have come close on either side of 201 Portage, but ultimately they failed. Even the modest little Canwest one. It's a bit surprising given that over the last decade we actually have seen numerous office buildings, hotels, and MURBs go up downtown.

When something gets built next to 201 Portage, I wonder what it will be? I'd love to see something get built on the TD Centre II site just to see that complex completed. Something around the originally envisioned 23 storey height would be ideal... I would love to see that rendering showing the view from across the river actually take shape.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
And the hotel project is obviously on Main St as was the proposed Hydro Place.
Are there any official images of the Main Street Hydro proposal was supposed to look like? There is a drawing of it in the diagram section, but I've never been able to find anything else online.

I seem to recall Viking posting a couple images in the 416 Main thread ages ago of a different building, but I don't think it was the Hydro proposal...or maybe I am misremembering

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
Is the Daoust Lestage proposal still the plan for the Southern site? Or at least that firm? They're using a different artist's rendering in the RFP and the language doesn't sound like anything is sure yet.
They used the winning proposal as the inspiration for the new design, and yes it was Daoust Lestage. The northern portion is wide open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd be curious to know whether Harvard has seriously shopped the site around. I recall the excitement when Canwest had plans of its own for that site as vike mentioned, but nothing materialized. Those plans were OK but not great, so it wasn't necessarily a huge loss.
Harvard owns the lot to the north (failed Westin) along with the Palomino and its parking lot/patio. That whole block is their first priority, and I have heard they're working on a plan, but likely a couple years out. So my guess would be the plaza site is not even on their radar.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:25 PM

The original second TD Tower and smaller Canwest proposal are on the same location. Which abuts the railway building next door.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Are there any official images of the Main Street Hydro proposal was supposed to look like? There is a drawing of it in the diagram section, but I've never been able to find anything else online.
I remember seeing images of it at the time that Manitoba Hydro was selecting a proposal for their HQ, but I don't think any photos exist online, or at least not something that Google Images can be used to find. You might be able to find a picture in the Free Press archives...

I think Creswin's proposal for Hydro was the tallest and most dramatic out of all of them.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:53 PM
What could go wrong?

I have been looking for a while for the render of the P&M Hydro proposal. I do remember it vividly though. It was a copy of the Leadenhall Building in London except that is had 1 or 3 wind turbines in the top of the building.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Definitely not a fan of the 201 portage development. Little private banking offices with uncomfortably large windows lining Portage and Main is pretty weak. A little side door to scurry in. They were celebrating returning the corner to prominence and entering off the corner. It’s treated as a back wall.
Agreed. Also, when coming up to the top of the escalator from the food court, they now have a low tiled ceiling with standard stark white office lighting. Gone is the grand stone tiled, high ceiling lobby.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:50 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have been looking for a while for the render of the P&M Hydro proposal. I do remember it vividly though. It was a copy of the Leadenhall Building in London except that is had 1 or 3 wind turbines in the top of the building.

Thanks for sharing!

I think about that alternate Hydro building (Asper O&Y proposal) all of the time.

In the SSP diagrams section if you turn on the 'cancelled' filter, you can see how it would stack up against the other downtown towers.

[Along with SkyCity, we would have had a dramatically taller skyline]

I believe that even today with 300 Main the never built hydro building would still be tallest in the city.

It would also be interesting to learn whether all the assumptions about the current Hydro building ever materialized.

That by building the current Hydro building mid-block Portage Ave, Hydro employees would be more likely to go out and shop at neighbouring businesses (Portage Place), vs being at Portage & Main and having employees keep to the underground concourse.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Oct 16, 2020 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:32 PM

anyone know of a link to the finished product of the renovations to the courts at kennedy and york? quite the angular overhang being installed!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 8:55 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
Is the Daoust Lestage proposal still the plan for the Southern site? Or at least that firm? They're using a different artist's rendering in the RFP and the language doesn't sound like anything is sure yet.
nothing is set.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:23 PM
surely you agree with me

fun to see some other proposals

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 11:12 PM

^ LOL...Good Lord. Why not save a few more bucks and move the branch to an ATCO trailer parked in the courtyard instead?

Also, thanks for the blast from the past with the Hydro proposals. I guess in hindsight picking a proposal intended for The Bay's site would have been the wiser play.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 11:43 PM
surely you agree with me

That BMO outlet would be lousy for a strip mall in st James.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan