HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I can't answer your question directly but I do know that no matter what there would be times when the orientation of the landing/take-off cycle would take flights directly over the city. Planes take off with the wind and land against it. I don't know anything about aviation otherwise but I imagine that sooner or later it's not just a good idea but the only way to do things.
I'm not an expert, but I think they takeoff and land into the wind because of the extra lift created. They don't have to travel as fast to get the same amount of lift. Essentially the wind is as good as airplane speed. Reducing speed at landing reduces risk and runway length. And for takeoffs it shortens the runway required and time (money) required to get off the ground.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:41 PM

This was interesting but it only speaks to recommendations, nowhere does it say it controls the ability of an airport to be 24hr or not. Recommendations and Regulations are very different things. I'd be curious what the NEC level for Polo Park would be if the developed the area.

Reducing aircraft noise through land management
Aviation planners and those responsible for developing lands near airports are encouraged to implement smart zoning practices and proper land-use management. We provide two tools to help with such planning:

the Noise Exposure Forecast
the Noise Exposure Projection

Noise Exposure Forecast
The Noise Exposure Forecast (NEF) system provides a measurement of the actual and forecasted aircraft noise near airports. This system factors in the subjective reactions of the human ear to the specific aircraft noise stimulus: loudness, frequency, duration, time of occurrence and tone.

This metric predicts a community’s response to aircraft noise. A NEF level greater than 25 is likely to produce some level of annoyance. If the NEF level is above 35, complaints will probably be numerous. This provides municipalities and local governments with a basis for zoning; and it provides residents with a scenario reflecting expected noise levels.

We recommend against proceeding with new residential development in areas where the NEF exceeds 30. If the development does proceed, a detailed noise analysis should be conducted and noise reduction practices should be implemented. In this situation, it is the developer’s duty to inform prospective residents of potential noise problems.

Noise Exposure Projection
In addition, we recognize that provinces and municipalities require projections beyond five years for land-use planning, if conditions are certain to change over time. For these purposes, we use the Noise Exposure Projection (NEP). The NEP projects aircraft movements and other changing variables 10 to 20 years ahead, giving authorities a longer perspective for zoning.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I can't answer your question directly but I do know that no matter what there would be times when the orientation of the landing/take-off cycle would take flights directly over the city. Planes take off with the wind and land against it. I don't know anything about aviation otherwise but I imagine that sooner or later it's not just a good idea but the only way to do things.
You are only half right. Planes both take off and land against the wind.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:06 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellakaran View Post
You are only half right. Planes both take off and land against the wind.
Ah, thank you. I knew there was wind involved.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:11 PM

Can a mod merge the airport talk into the Polo Park thread please.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:00 AM

Does anyone know anything about the new St. John Ambulance building that's apparently being built? I took a first aid course last weekend and the instructor mentioned they are building a new building on the current Portage site starting this spring.
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
Does anyone know anything about the new St. John Ambulance building that's apparently being built? I took a first aid course last weekend and the instructor mentioned they are building a new building on the current Portage site starting this spring.
Can see the plans here:
  • 1. Subdivision and Rezoning - 1, 5, 7, 9 and 11 St. John Ambulance Way - DASZ 7/2019
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:48 AM

Hmmm. A single story pre-engineered building. Is that fancy talk for a piece of junk?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:56 AM

Thanks!
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
We've been hearing about something planned for St. John's Ambulance for nearly a decade... I remember seeing plans on a city agenda years ago. But wow have they ever scaled down their plans. I don't remember the specifics but I recall that the original plans were a lot more impressive than the total POS rendering in the agenda that wpg_guy linked to above.

That is really shocking... they went from something reasonably OK to the absolute bare minimum, 4 walls and a roof. Oh well, at least it won't be that prominent.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We've been hearing about something planned for St. John's Ambulance for nearly a decade... I remember seeing plans on a city agenda years ago. But wow have they ever scaled down their plans. I don't remember the specifics but I recall that the original plans were a lot more impressive than the total POS rendering in the agenda that wpg_guy linked to above.

That is really shocking... they went from something reasonably OK to the absolute bare minimum, 4 walls and a roof. Oh well, at least it won't be that prominent.
Yeah at least the building is gonna be set farther back on the property so if it is ugly it'll be a bit more hidden.
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Friends of Upper Fort Garry not giving up on vision just yet

"The Friends of Upper Fort Garry is in talks with the city about extending its permission to run the lot at the corner of Assiniboine Avenue and Fort Street, alongside the heritage park...

The group has long said the parking lot raises about $100,000 per year, revenue it deems essential to supporting the park’s operations and future fundraising.

"It is critical for the continued operation and continued activity of the park," said Penny McMillan, director of the Friends of Upper Fort Garry."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...568645692.html
This is never going to happen, I hope the city denies them. Are they that ignorant or do they think the public is that stupid to think $100k/yr in parking revenue is going to make a dent in what they need to build this. I haven't seen any sort of fundraising campaign in 5 years – are they even trying? She's also talking like they maintain the park when in reality TFNP does – and didn't get an extra dollar to do it when FUFG asked them to.

In my mind, find a developer willing to build a tower with the interpretive centre as the podium and sign a 99 year lease. Otherwise, start an actual campaign or move on.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is never going to happen, I hope the city denies them. Are they that ignorant or do they think the public is that stupid to think $100k/yr in parking revenue is going to make a dent in what they need to build this. I haven't seen any sort of fundraising campaign in 5 years – are they even trying? She's also talking like they maintain the park when in reality TFNP does – and didn't get an extra dollar to do it when FUFG asked them to.

In my mind, find a developer willing to build a tower with the interpretive centre as the podium and sign a 99 year lease. Otherwise, start an actual campaign or move on.
I say, all parking revenue should go to the developer of 300 Assiniboine, for the increased cost for them to build where they did years after they were to build on main st .

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Probably the least surprising news story of the year. Who didn't see this coming?

UFG is classic irritating Winnipeg. The whole block could have been so much better, but we rejected it in favour of the empty void that surrounds Fort Garry Gate.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:27 PM

It truly is the most useless and worst-designed park. Just tear it down and start over!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:20 PM

Such a waste of space in that location, and from the Fort St. side the rusty looking fence makes it appear like you're passing by a scrap yard on Springfield Road.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
It truly is the most useless and worst-designed park. Just tear it down and start over!
Ya I hate it. Walked through it twice and no need to go back. There are nicer parks and public spaces right near it anyway.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i enjoy the park. what happend happend lets move on from the past bs already.

use the parks guys lots of things can be done in them like hanging out with ur synths and jamming
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:46 PM

Hear! Hear! Get over it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 8:09 PM

Yeah, this whole project seems fairly misguided, the park doesn't seem to have much in the way of useful open space that would let events be hosted there and the gardens and wall thing are just strange. If they actually manage to complete an interpretive centre maybe the park will have some use but right now it just all seems pointless.

I'd say it's still an improvement over what was there before based on Google street view from 2007
Small stain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan