HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
2009 seems like a long time away...
I agree. I get the feeling the longer the wait, the less likely the project becomes reality. Hopefully, this dose not tern into another Peace Bridge, Bass Pro, or (Gasp!) Adelphia! Still, I'm going to remain optimistic, and say this project, in some form, will be built within the next 7 years.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN View Post
I agree that the building is a bit out of proportion w/ the surrounding towers, (but look at HSBC - that's out of proportion too - and it's freaking ugly) - but if it more development takes place proceeding these projects, it will allow the skyline to grow and fill in w/ complimentary buildings (and hopefully taller ones).
The Effil Tower is out of proportion with everything in Paris. Sears Tower is out of proportion with dam near everything in Chicago, and if the "Tool Bit" goes up? Washing ton DC? Cleveland's tallest? You can say that about dam near every city. Just build it!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 7:35 PM

This confirms much of what we knew. Except, that he has taken up residence in the Statler. An encouraging sign within itself. I believe these projects will come to being, we just need be patient, as do the British. Hey, the guy's young, give him a chance.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 9:30 PM

"The tower is obviously an architectural statement," Issa said. "I wanted to go crazy. I wanted to attract attention. I wanted to attract attention to the (downtown) core. I wanted to attract attention to Buffalo."

Now, who could have a problem with that?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:40 PM
low-riding

it doesn't seem like 600 feet in those renders mostly because of how wide it is. But i understand that it has to be that wide to visually compete with the mass of city hall. on the whole, its an exciting development

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 3:59 AM

I'd like to see a night rendering!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 9:53 PM
Former GTC Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post
I'd like to see a night rendering!
Wouldn't we all, wouldn't we all.

The answer is of course yes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSal View Post
Wouldn't we all, wouldn't we all.

The answer is of course yes.
Perhaps, if we don't have one by the time Peanut comes back on leave from the 25th Infantry and Recon School, I can talk him into repelling from the top of The Statler, into Issa's suite, and leaving him a note to have on done "HOOAH " style!

HERE WE GO PEANUT, HERE WE GO! (I know, I'm Nutz!)

Last edited by Halovet; Jan 30, 2007 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 3:16 PM

Question Buffalo City Tower

Height confusion,
It has always been my understanding that HSBC Center was 529' high. Since every article I have read claims the new tower will be 33' higher than HSBC Center, well that would put it at 562' high.
Either I am wrong about HSBC Ht. or they are, but I have seen at least three different heights advertised for the BCT project, 593', 600', and 615', yet all of the articles still say 33'?

Is HSBC moving up and down?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 3:47 PM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

The height of HSBC varies depending on which side it's taken due to the fact that it sits on the side of a small hill. Of course the same applies to probably 99% of the buildings in the world; Buffalo's Liberty Bldg is another great example of that, Main St vs. Pearl St ends. So that might have something to do with it. Maybe because the ground elevations at HSBC and the BCT site are likely different, maybe it would take a 600' tower to be 33' taller than HSBC? I don't think there's nearly that much of a gradient downtown, though.

Personally, this is the first time I've heard anything about 33'. And if so, what is the significance of the number 33?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 7:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs View Post
Height confusion,
It has always been my understanding that HSBC Center was 529' high. Since every article I have read claims the new tower will be 33' higher than HSBC Center, well that would put it at 562' high.
Either I am wrong about HSBC Ht. or they are, but I have seen at least three different heights advertised for the BCT project, 593', 600', and 615', yet all of the articles still say 33'?

Is HSBC moving up and down?

umm could it possibly have been 33 m., not 33 ft.?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 8:55 PM

Wink

the 33' height comes from articles read in the buffalo news, business first of buffalo, as well as buffalo rising.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:40 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Perhaps they are talking of the height of the new building over HSBC by ELEVATION height. That is, maybe the new tower is 615 feet tall, but its base is at a lower elevation than HSBC's tower. Thus, its roofline will only be 33 feet higher than HSBC, even though by structural height it will be a good 86 feet taller.... Just a guess...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 1:57 AM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

My only question is whether there is an 86-33=53' ground elevation difference. I highly doubt it, there's probably not that much in the entire city...

I'm not questioning where it's come from in a technical sense...I'm just wondering what the significance of 33' is - what does it mean, what is it symbolic of? Every other feature and setback height has significance, so I would assume that one would too...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:09 PM

Talking

In the February 2007 issue of "The Downtowner" (Buffalo) there is an article about the Statler and The Buffalo City Tower. Regarding the Buffalo City Tower 40% goal it stated, "He is talking to national and international companies looking for tenants interested in Buffalo as a reasonably priced alternative..." blah blah blah "...Issa had recent discussions wity out-of-state entities and has talked to a potential tenant who would occupy 25% of that space."
it sounds like we should defenately hit the 40% mark by the planned 2008 start date. i think the percentage will surge when the pre-lease of the condo's starts.
I agree w/ the mayor in his state of the city address,
"There is a new day in Buffalo, and I am here today to tell you we are turning the corner,"
the future looks bright... stay positive!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
In the February 2007 issue of "The Downtowner" (Buffalo) there is an article about the Statler and The Buffalo City Tower. Regarding the Buffalo City Tower 40% goal it stated, "He is talking to national and international companies looking for tenants interested in Buffalo as a reasonably priced alternative..." blah blah blah "...Issa had recent discussions wity out-of-state entities and has talked to a potential tenant who would occupy 25% of that space."
it sounds like we should defenately hit the 40% mark by the planned 2008 start date. i think the percentage will surge when the pre-lease of the condo's starts.
I agree w/ the mayor in his state of the city address,
"There is a new day in Buffalo, and I am here today to tell you we are turning the corner,"
the future looks bright... stay positive!
Sounds Good!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 6:26 AM

The very latest... its looking good, check it out!

http://www.buffalorising.com/story/l...e_in_the_tower

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 7:52 AM
Everywhere all at once

This tower's pre-construction progress has moved very fast....I wish it worked that way in NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive