HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Why? The 17 cities referred to are "tech hubs". Nashville is an "operations center". Different things. Hard to say what is the difference between an "operations center" and a distribution warehouse. Since Amazon gave up on trying to avoid charging state sales taxes, they now have distribution facilities in almost every state so they can offer same-day delivery. I'm not sure what the average size of those are.
Surprising only in the sense that those two place were the original HQ2 winners.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Taxpayers don’t find government so politicians can throw our money around picking winners and losers.
If they honestly believe that a lower tax rate is the best way to attract businesses to their city, then they should offer the same lower tax rate to everyone.
Why is Amazon special?
Oh sure they do. The federal government now wants to pay contractors for work they didn't do during the "shut down". What's the point of out-sourcing if you feel the same obligations to contract workers as to your own employees? But, heck, it's not the politicians' own money so they can hand it out freely and they do. And we let them, even call them righteous for doing it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Taxpayers don’t find government so politicians can throw our money around picking winners and losers.
If they honestly believe that a lower tax rate is the best way to attract businesses to their city, then they should offer the same lower tax rate to everyone.
Why is Amazon special?
In principle, I agree with you.

But in reality, it is what it is. Amazon is so special because they are offering 25k highly paid jobs. If I were to ask for a tax break for my startup with 5 jobs, I wouldn't be so special. That makes sense but it also is not fair.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I have to wonder if they didn't mainly want to be in/near DC as I've suspected all along. I never understood why they thought they needed 3 "headquarters" and the more "headquarters" they have, the less the term means.

Maybe Bezos had beef with the mayor, governor, or someone else in New York, and pulled a Linus & Lucy to embarrass them. In short, there was never a plan to actually build a NYC office, but rather announced that there would be, and then pull out of whatever deal the city and state offered.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:40 PM

Oh wow, oh wow!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Maybe Bezos had beef with the mayor, governor, or someone else in New York, and pulled a Linus & Lucy to embarrass them. In short, there was never a plan to actually build a NYC office, but rather announced that there would be, and then pull out of whatever deal the city and state offered.
Actually, I think the reason they decided to split their HQ2 and put part in NYC was because the Mayor and Governor offered them "a deal they couldn't refuse" (not meaning to imply any horse heads in anyone's bed) so they took it. But then the downside began to appear in the form of political opposition and got so outspoken it began to look like the the good stuff promised might even be in jeopardy so they decided it wasn't worth it.

What's interesting to me about all this is that Jeff Bezos, leftist white knight on his media charger, the Washington Post (rival of the NY Times), is being "hoist with his own petard". That is, the opposition is from his side of the table.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:15 PM

All this talk and I feel like it's all missing the bigger point that white collar companies should not have offices in 2019. what a literal waste of space and resources. Why are we still carrying out this charade.

Amazon's supposed to be this cutting edge tech company and yet they still feel the need to abide by outdated 20th century norms

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Because $3 billion in tax incentives was estimated to produce $27.5 billion in tax revenue over 25 years.
Sure, and if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you. It always amazes me how conservatives are against welfare, unless it is corporate welfare.

NYC will be just fine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
All this talk and I feel like it's all missing the bigger point that white collar companies should not have offices in 2019. what a literal waste of space and resources. Why are we still carrying out this charade.

Amazon's supposed to be this cutting edge tech company and yet they still feel the need to abide by outdated 20th century norms
Sorry, but that view is very 2013* (or very 2018--take your pick). A variety of tech companies have decided in favor of the mutual inspiration that talking to your fellow workers face to face can provide. That's why most tech companies today provide lounge and recreation space in their buildings and disdain "cubicles" where you can isolate yourself (as you could at home). They want you talking and collectively "brainstorming" even if it's not about work.

But now along comes this:

A 2-Year Stanford Study Shows the Astonishing Productivity Boost of Working From Home

So now the jury has gone back out again and we'll have to wait for a consensus to rebuild. But still, most companies are like Amazon and want everybody under the corporate roof most of the time (that's why they give out so much free food, provide free dog grooming and buy so many foosball tables, after all).

*2013 was when Yahoo famously reversed its policy and told everybody by memo to come back into the office.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:41 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Spreading the wealth and issues. I think we all won.
Agreed.

Too woke for jobs, exactly

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sure, and if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you. It always amazes me how conservatives are against welfare, unless it is corporate welfare.

NYC will be just fine.
Its not some voodoo here.

NYC has what, a 4% city income tax? Plus state income tax, plus RE taxes plus sales tax...

How much money do you think 25k employees would bring to the state and city? I'll wait while you do the math.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:44 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The appropriate narrative is Amazon made their own decisions they're responsible for as a company. They are not entitled to universal support and billions in public money.
New York walked away from tens of billions here

Profound stupidity

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:47 PM

I love it. Everyone's all moded.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:51 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Maybe Bezos had beef with the mayor, governor, or someone else in New York, and pulled a Linus & Lucy to embarrass them.
A Linus and Lucy? I think you meant a Charlie Brown and Lucy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Its not some voodoo here.

NYC has what, a 4% city income tax? Plus state income tax, plus RE taxes plus sales tax...
That's kinda the way you have to look at it too. Its not just 1 company that benefits from this move. Local or even regional companies are all intertwined. They all somewhat feed from each other depending on the services or industry.

I think folks were rallying against it due to the fear of gentrification, but that's really not Amazon at fault. Its the fault of the city for not provided the parameters and density via zoning for developers to build housing. Was an issue before this deal, and continues to be.

I think because of the company profile we are dealing with, it gains publicity, and the bad type too.

Whispers when it comes to Googles expansion, which will be half or so of the employee count or around 11-13k employees.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:14 AM

Amazon Will Pay a Whopping $0 in Federal Taxes on $11.2 Billion Profits

Someone explain to me how this is a thing that rationally should be allowed to happen

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
A Linus and Lucy? I think you meant a Charlie Brown and Lucy.

My bad! Linus & Lucywas the title of the famous Vince Guaraldi song from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

Buy a used CD on Amazon for $5.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown...s%2C208&sr=8-2

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

NYC will be just fine.
The numbers came from Governor Cuomo -- the same guy that said this:

"A small group of politicians put their own narrow political interests above their community -- which poll after poll showed overwhelmingly supported bringing Amazon to Long Island City -- the state's economic future and the best interests of the people of this state,"

Lol.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Amazon Will Pay a Whopping $0 in Federal Taxes on $11.2 Billion Profits

Someone explain to me how this is a thing that rationally should be allowed to happen
No one can.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
From an Amazon spokesman to Business Journals:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...967&j=86683471

Not mentioning Nashville or NOVA is surprising.
Northern Virginia was omitted because it's already getting HQ2.

And as others have said, NYC will be just fine (Amazon's still going to expand its presence there). The decision to have more equitable distribution of those 25,000 jobs across the country and not find a single-city replacement option is good PR, which Bezos could use right about now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions