HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:17 PM

Valour FC playing at a sold out Shaw Park would be awesome.

Went to Valour FC inaugural home game. Great atmosphere. Lots of young people really into it. Game started at 5pm and we were walking out of the stadium at 6:58. Great. In 10 to 15 years I can see Valour being the main tenant at IGF.

Went to Goldeyes home opener double header after rainout. Goldeyes games are stale.
Couldn't even get one 7 inning game done in 3 hours. Left at 9pm. 3 hours for 6 innings. They have a model franchise in St. Paul to emulate for attracting the young adult crowd but they insist on appealling to the elderly and children. Food vendors and craft beer were top notch though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:29 PM

Lots of tickets available for Thursday. I predict 25,500.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Coincidentally, there was an article in the Freep today talking about the Goldeyes attendance slide since peaking in 2004:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...511272992.html

But that said, you are probably right, the Goldeyes must make a pile of money. They charge some of the highest ticket price points in the league, and their team payroll costs are basically peanuts, something like US$125,000 as far as I can tell.

Consider that the Goldeyes draw around 4,000 fans a game... even at an extremely conservative $15 revenue per ticket, they basically make their payroll in less than 3 home games. I get that it costs more than just player salaries to run the team, but when you're pulling in $60,000 a game just from ticket sales alone with salaries at that level, the team is probably still doing great financially. It's probably more about the Goldeyes dropping from the civic consciousness than anything else... they used to get a bit of media coverage in the past but these days they are a somewhat anonymous team.

But the trend is somewhat ominous and if attendance keeps slipping, that could change.
There have been teams in that league operating for years and years at <2000 average attendance. Playoffs are usually a cost as every team has lower attendance once school is back in. Must be able to at least make a little bit of money.

One difference for Goldeyes is exchange rate, which is a pretty significant cost given a lot of their bills on the baseball side are in USD.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:08 AM

I never understood why they don't move the AA season up 2 weeks. The playoffs are only 12 days in the AA, this year from Sept 4–16, just move it up. Why would you want the CHAMPIONSHIP and playoffs to have no one there?!

I went to a finals game the second year of the back-to-back wins, I don't think there were even 3000 people there as it was a Tuesday night the first full week of school. It's insane.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Lots of tickets available for Thursday. I predict 25,500.
Somewhere along the way, Bomber tickets really shot up in price. If you want to sit in the lower deck between the 35 yard lines, you are paying either $155 for a regular seat, or $175 for a club seat. I didn't even know Bomber tickets ran that high until I checked yesterday (my seats are in the upper deck).

If you want to sit in the lower deck between the goal lines, it's at least hundred bucks.

I guess like with seemingly every other sports league, the CFL has gone all in on the smaller crowds paying bigger bucks model. They don't seem terribly concerned with smaller crowd counts.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:38 PM
arf

^In the long run I think that will hurt the CFL. Atmosphere is a big part of what draws people in and even 30% empty stadiums just aren't that entertaining.

That does seem quite ridiculous. It looks like there are a lot of tickets available for the home opener in Regina. Prices are pretty ridiculous as well. There's some cheaper ones, but they aren't good seats. I can find some individual tickets, lower inside the 35s for $107.

It will be interesting to see what attendance is like because the upper ends are pretty much all available right now.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, Bomber tickets really shot up in price. If you want to sit in the lower deck between the 35 yard lines, you are paying either $155 for a regular seat, or $175 for a club seat. I didn't even know Bomber tickets ran that high until I checked yesterday (my seats are in the upper deck).

If you want to sit in the lower deck between the goal lines, it's at least hundred bucks.

I guess like with seemingly every other sports league, the CFL has gone all in on the smaller crowds paying bigger bucks model. They don't seem terribly concerned with smaller crowd counts.
They've priced themselves a step behind the NHL. It's interesting they don't view gate/in-stadium revenue as an area for growth, as they are playing in front of under 80% capacity in almost all markets.

Instead they are trying to get a Mexican TV deal...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:34 AM

Quote:
The prices have indeed gone up this year. Last year it was $125 for a regular seat between the 35's and $165 for Pinnacle Club access.

At least the spread between the two price points has been reduced. A free bag of popcorn at half-time and free post-game appetizers were not worth the extra $40 per head. When I groused about it last year some people noted that lines tended to be shorter in the Pinnacle Club. However, with a thousand or so seats included, the lines were not THAT short. My son still teases me that we overpaid for club access. $20 per person is getting more realistic for what is offered.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
They've priced themselves a step behind the NHL. It's interesting they don't view gate/in-stadium revenue as an area for growth, as they are playing in front of under 80% capacity in almost all markets.

Instead they are trying to get a Mexican TV deal...
For what it's worth, teams have been playing in front of under 80% capacity for pretty well as long as I can remember. Sure you get the odd club that goes on a sellout streak like the Riders for a while, or the Alouettes through the 2000s. But for the most part there are always seats to be had.

Maybe the league figured that if they couldn't bring in enough people to pack the joints, they'd start trying to extract as much as possible from the people who actually are showing up? To some extent, the NHL has gotten Canadian fans used to the idea of paying fairly steep prices to attend sports events... what was the top Jets ticket price in 1996, maybe $60? That's about $92 today, adjusted for inflation... that probably wouldn't even get you out of the upper bowl at a Jets game these days.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
The prices have indeed gone up this year. Last year it was $125 for a regular seat between the 35's and $165 for Pinnacle Club access.

At least the spread between the two price points has been reduced. A free bag of popcorn at half-time and free post-game appetizers were not worth the extra $40 per head. When I groused about it last year some people noted that lines tended to be shorter in the Pinnacle Club. However, with a thousand or so seats included, the lines were not THAT short. My son still teases me that we overpaid for club access. $20 per person is getting more realistic for what is offered.
Not sure on Pinnacle Club prices but the Bombers have not had any price increases for season ticket holders for several years now. The walk up price might be changing but that is a different thing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not sure on Pinnacle Club prices but the Bombers have not had any price increases for season ticket holders for several years now. The walk up price might be changing but that is a different thing.
STH prices have gone up a tiny bit over the past two years, but it's small potatoes, a buck or two a seat in the lower bowl, and several categories in the upper deck haven't increased at all. That's why I was surprised to see the sharp increase in walkup prices... I suppose that's one way to gently nudge casuals into becoming season ticket holders.

Incidentally, great win by the big blue yesterday... looks like they're for real this season!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
For what it's worth, teams have been playing in front of under 80% capacity for pretty well as long as I can remember. Sure you get the odd club that goes on a sellout streak like the Riders for a while, or the Alouettes through the 2000s. But for the most part there are always seats to be had.

Maybe the league figured that if they couldn't bring in enough people to pack the joints, they'd start trying to extract as much as possible from the people who actually are showing up? To some extent, the NHL has gotten Canadian fans used to the idea of paying fairly steep prices to attend sports events... what was the top Jets ticket price in 1996, maybe $60? That's about $92 today, adjusted for inflation... that probably wouldn't even get you out of the upper bowl at a Jets game these days.
I remember when they created the “gold” seats at the Arena in the 1970s and sold them at $11. I remember gaping at the people in them as though they must all be John D. Rockefeller. Meanwhile Bobby Hull was making about 5 or 6 times what my dad made, not 100 times.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:07 PM

Back in the 70's/early 80's we would occasionally go to the McDonald's on St. James to get discounted Jets tickets waaaaaaaay up in the corner. Even with inflation, each ticket was not much more than what is now pocket change.

Enjoyed the victory last night as well, however we definitely gave Edmonton enough chances to win. Still puzzled by Maas suddenly deciding to go for the field goal rather than continue running plays. Lucky Whitehead appears to be a find.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Back in the 70's/early 80's we would occasionally go to the McDonald's on St. James to get discounted Jets tickets waaaaaaaay up in the corner. Even with inflation, each ticket was not much more than what is now pocket change.

Enjoyed the victory last night as well, however we definitely gave Edmonton enough chances to win. Still puzzled by Maas suddenly deciding to go for the field goal rather than continue running plays. Lucky Whitehead appears to be a find.
The field goal was very strange.

I also don't know why they had to have Rod Smith announcing -- his constant state of befuddlement was making me long for Rod Black. I should have put CJOB on, I guess.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:21 AM

I'm happy for the win, and I like Matt Nichols the man. Matt Nichols the QB makes me think of Trent Dilfer. It's workable, but you need an elite defense that can tilt field and score points potentially to win games. Our receivers have more big play ability then that Ravens crew did back when, but I'm struggling to see the path to a title. This is probably the best team since 2001 in my opinion, though. I just hope we have enough under centre to go the distance in what will probably require tight post-season affairs against teams that are likely to have a superior pivot (Mitchell, Harris, Masoli...).

All of that said. LETS GO BLUE!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:

Right, many people on here don’t realize that they are comfortable from a revenue perspective at 25-26,000.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:51 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:07 AM
BANNED

Couple dismal Blue Bomber crowds

25 K for the home opener

Only 24 K on a beautiful Friday night, guess the novelty of the new stadium built in the wrong location has worn off, no eXcuses!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:49 AM

- Who cares about the -$200 million the Bombers owe the taxpayers of Manitoba? (and will never pay pack)
- Who cares about the already-falling-apart IG Field?
- Who cares about the 30 year Grey Cup drought? (in a 9-team league?)
- Who cares about the 10,000 empty seats at IG Field last night? (on a Friday night w/ perfect weather)
- Who cares about the obscene concession prices at IG Field?
- Who cares about the old/obsolete/broken-down "community ownership"?
- Who cares about creepy GM Wade Miller?
- Who cares about all the drunk drivers who drive home after games at IG Field?
- Who cares about all the failures/screw-ups/bankruptcies/corruption of the last 30 years?

The Bombers have REGULAR SEASON WINS! WOOO-HOOO!!!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Welp, looks like the Saturday morning troll parade is out in colourful fashion, and rrskylar has recruited additional trolls for this specific thread.

Yay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan