HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

The complaint about unionization isn't that the office jobs won't be unionized, it's that you're giving money to a company whose profit is primarily derived by paying very low wages to the vast majority of its employees.
Which proves my point. They care more about some large national political point than what is good for their immediate community. Politics over everything. It gets old.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Which proves my point. They care more about some large national political point than what is good for their immediate community. Politics over everything. It gets old.
Hmm, where I come from caring about people other than just yourself is seen as an admirable quality, not a negative one.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Hmm, where I come from caring about people other than just yourself is seen as an admirable quality, not a negative one.
Being in a union isn’t some ethical moral truth as a great thing to most people. It’s a religious conviction to the left, but not everyone prays their way. My personal opinion is I don’t care, a private company should unionize if their employees want to, great for them, I sincerely hope it works. But it’s not gonna get me opposing economic growth in my city because of my politics. It’s not like amazon is running slave camps in Uganda that I could get morally outraged about.

Do you think I love bezos or the Washington post or his politics? Absolutely not. But I want his money and jobs. I care enough about my city to overlook my politics, something the Left has problems with(example, a mayor wanting to ban chick fil la ).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:52 PM
BANNED

So, it's now confirmed that it was the brother of Bezos' girlfriend who was the leaker. I guess Bezos' whole conspiracy theory about it being Trump in the Saudis didn't pan out too well. Was just an obvious ploy to try and use politics to distract from his personal problems.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Thank goodness for this post.

We all know successful people are useful to society and deserve consideration.
But in turn, they need to understand that their success was made by society itself, so somehow, they owe you much of what they've got.

There's some sort of famous US tradition of the rich paying back society, though.
They do it by so-called "charity". I've been skeptical about this, because it's still to serve their fame and businesses through communication and advertising.

the rich and successful do not get that way by receiving handouts, so there is nothing to "pay back." their usefulness and the consideration they deserve is in the wealth they create and economic opportunities for others that would not otherwise be there.
if they want to contribute to charities, that is their perogotive. if the government has decided that they want to encourage people to be charitable by making their contributions tax deductible, so much the better.
people need to stop shitting on the rich. and in case you're wondering, no I'm not rich. but I don't want to live in a society that on one hand encourages people to work hard and become successful then on the other shits on them for achieving that goal.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:50 PM

Wow, is anyone watching the news? It's just breaking that Amazon is pulling out of New York. So fresh I can't even find a print article yet. I saw it on CNBC.

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company...y-headquarters

Quote:
After much thought and deliberation, we’ve decided not to move forward with our plans to build a headquarters for Amazon in Long Island City, Queens. For Amazon, the commitment to build a new headquarters requires positive, collaborative relationships with state and local elected officials who will be supportive over the long-term. While polls show that 70% of New Yorkers support our plans and investment, a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City. ...
We do not intend to reopen the HQ2 search at this time. We will proceed as planned in Northern Virginia and Nashville, and we will continue to hire and grow across our 17 corporate offices and tech hubs in the U.S. and Canada.

Last edited by Natoma; Feb 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM. Reason: Found the statement

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:53 PM
Posh

And apparently they aren't going to re-open a search for a 2nd site. Not sure what that means exactly.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:53 PM

Chicago will gladly take them.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
And apparently they aren't going to re-open a search for a 2nd site. Not sure what that means exactly.
That Bezos is swinging his big ol' "D" around and he knows cities will grovel at his feat and give him millions in subsidies and tax releif

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:56 PM
The City

Wow, how about that.

I'd hate to be a property owner in Long Island City right now. The pangs of disappointment!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:57 PM

Too woke for jobs

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Here it is in print

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...gtype=Homepage

BREAKING

Amazon Pulls Out of Planned New York City Campus

By J. David Goodman
Feb. 14, 2019

Anti-Amazon protesters before a New York City Council hearing in January.
Hiroko Masuike/

Amazon said on Thursday that it was canceling plans to build a corporate campus in New York City. The company had planned to build a sprawling complex in Long Island City, Queens, in exchange for nearly $3 billion in state and city incentives.

But the deal had run into fierce opposition from local lawmakers who criticized providing subsidies to one of the world’s richest companies. Amazon said the deal would have created more than 25,000 jobs.

Here is the statement released by Amazon:

After much thought and deliberation, we’ve decided not to move forward with our plans to build a headquarters for Amazon in Long Island City, Queens. For Amazon, the commitment to build a new headquarters requires positive, collaborative relationships with state and local elected officials who will be supportive over the long-term. While polls show that 70% of New Yorkers support our plans and investment, a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence and will not work with us to build the type of relationships that are required to go forward with the project we and many others envisioned in Long Island City.

We are disappointed to have reached this conclusion —….

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:01 PM

Good luck searching for another city that will pay them more to go there.

Time to change to name of this threat from reconsiders to cancels...

Yeah I don't trust them at all, they could easily be like "nevermind guys! we reached a deal lol!".

Even if they're not bluffing this makes them look really shitty, why would anybody hand out billions to a company that obviously has no loyalty and backs out of commitments?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Blatant political attack on the far left and their proposed wealth tax on people like Bezos. He better watch out though, he's pissing off both sides now and there is a clear anti-trust issue with Amazon that could take center stage if he keeps pushing the politicians buttons.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
It might mean they already have a runner up waiting in the wings... Or it might mean they can work with just DC and Nashville for now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Amazon will just go ahead and build it all in the DC area following the original plans of 50,000 employees or will they go ahead with the 25,000 employees they decided on when they were going to split between 2 sites?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Chicago will gladly take them.

pretty sure the same thing would have happened if they came here

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It might mean they already have a runner up waiting in the wings... Or it might mean they can work with just DC and Nashville for now.
Having just been badly burned by NYC I'd expect the any further looking at runners up to replace it to be as quiet as the proverbial tomb, were it happening at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions