HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
The Earl Carroll Vanities and Moulin Rouge in the mid-to late '60s became the Hullabaloo and Kaleidoscope music venues -where many notable bands played - and later the Aquarius Theatre where the stage play Hair played - with Jennifer Warren in a lead role. The Fool painted the Aquarius in its distinctive style.
On the Best of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Season 3 dvd's, they have an episode featuring a performance by the West Coast
cast of Hair at the Aquarius Theatre on one of the programs. (It was done at CBS Television City). It features the co-creators of the
musical as well as Jennifer Warren and they sing Aquarius, Hair and The Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In). While this particular
episode was being prepared, 60 Minutes, new at the time, visited the set and shot some footage which is included in the bonus material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's the only one that I haven't been able to place in my timeline.
Does anyone know when the Earl Carroll Theater was affiliated with CBS?

old file of mine
__
I wasn't aware of this before, either, E_R. I found this photo on the CBS Television City website in the Gallery section:

It has the following caption:

The Earl Carroll Theater at 6230 Sunset Blvd., nearly across the street from CBS Columbia Square.
It was one of several venues used by CBS Televison for production prior to the construction of
Television City in 1952.

There's currently a CBS radio show ticket on eBay [HERE] for a broadcast from Earl Carroll's Theatre in 1946 of MEET THE MISSUS.

And the Television City website has this ticket for a television program in 1952:

And, related, here's a photograph from the early 50's of Sunset Blvd., looking east, the Palladium and CBS are on the left, Earl Carroll's, or probably Moulin Rouge at that time, on the right.

Dave DeCaro

Looks like TEX BENEKE is playing at The Palladium!
___

The yellow orange truck heading east, does that say Nesbitt's?

The Nesbitt's Fruit Products Company was founded in 1924 by Hugh S. Nesbitt, and was franchised from Nesbitt Fruit Products, Los Angeles, California.
It was purchased by the Clorox Co. in 1972.

Clorox?

Info about Nesbitt's:
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/nesbitts.html

Nesbitt's was referenced once by GW:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1790

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 25, 2016 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It's Julius Shulman's "Job 4368: Langdon and Wilson, Langdon and Wilson Offices (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1968".

The next two photos show the reception area.

The wall decoration isn't on the wall in the second photo. (?) Everything else appears to be the same. I guess in the first photo that door on the left is open.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Hmmm... I've lived in Manhattan since 1978, the year the pooper-scooper law went into effect. No dogsh%# problem here. NY is cleaner than ever.
In the "Judgmental Map" of Manhattan it doesn't have any actual area labeled "dogsh%#", but it does have an area labled "SMELLS LIKE POOP", heh! I hope you don't live there.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 8:31 PM

While I was on the CBS Television City website I saw this rendering of the initial proposal for the complex at Beverly and Fairfax.

Architect's drawing of the proposed site plan for Television City. Twenty-four studios were proposed.

Under construction:

Television City under contruction, 1951. The studio walls are up. Credit: CBS Photo Archive.

And the actual development:

June 28, 1960. Television City as seen from Goodyear Blimp. Credit: CBS Photo Archive.

I wonder where this is?
A model of TV City:

Betty Luster with the two ton architectural scale model of the proposed design of Television
City, May 1952. The model opened to reveal the interiors. The model maker included miniature
cigarette butts on the studio floors, to reflect the chain smoking tension of live television, and
the front lawn was actual grass. Credit: CBS Photo Archive.

And for amusement:

The ribbon cutting ceremony on opening day, November 15, 1952. The
model, portraying the "Spirit of Television," is wearing a foil television
antenna. Credit: CBS Photo Archive.

___

For search purposes:
Gilmore Stadium
Gilmore Field
Gilmore Drive-In
Gilmore Farmer's Market

___

I don't recall any of these photos being posted
before, but that doesn't mean that they weren't.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like the whole block was still empty after the NBC Studios were demolished. The view below is from 1964.

Historic Aerials
Thanks for the aerial Hoss. I didn't connect the vacant lot with the NBC Studios.
__

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The Earl Carroll Theater at 6230 Sunset Blvd., nearly across the street from CBS Columbia Square.
It was one of several venues used by CBS Televison for production prior to the construction of
Television City in 1952.
Thanks for the information Martin Pal.

Al Pearce (the name on the CBS billboard) was a well known radio performer, best known for his "Al Pearce and His Gang" in the 1930s and 40s.

CBS

"Al Pearce became one of the most successful entertainers on radio with his famous knock on the housewife's front door and his remark, "Nobody at home, I hope, I hope, I hope."

He began his career with the Don Lee Radio Network in 1926. His program originated with KFRC in San Francisco and later was carried by networks to Fresno and Los Angeles.
The daytime show, "The Happy Go Lucky Hour" — also known as "Al Pearce and His Gang" — had one of the first studio audiences.

In 1946, with the advent of television, Pearce took his show to Channel 2."

—Los Angeles Times June 3, 1961

Here's the gang in an undated photograph.....Mr. Pearce is standing at far left. (not sure why the guy in the center is wearing a diaper)

http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/variety/al-pearce

anyone recognize this guy?

detail
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Is that really in his novel?

[snip]

Thanks for refreshing my Little Velma memories Earl. I had forgotten all about her.
__
You're quite welcome. Actually, this Velma looks like she could go eight rounds with Moose Malloy :-)

I rate "Farewell, My Lovely" as Chandler's second best novel, behind "The Long Goodbye." Lots of people have hunted up the locations for his pre-WWII novels but none that I'm aware of for that one. Hmm. Maybe a project there ...

Cheers,

Earl

Last edited by Earl Boebert; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:11 AM

Quote:

detail
__

Gag writer for the Alan Brady show?

Was he married to Pickles?

http://news.kjosy.com/wp-content/upl...-Amsterdam.jpg

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information Martin Pal.

Al Pearce (the name on the CBS billboard) was a well known radio performer, best known for his "Al Pearce and His Gang" in the 1930s and 40s.

CBS

"Al Pearce became one of the most successful entertainers on radio with his famous knock on the housewife's front door and his remark, "Nobody at home, I hope, I hope, I hope."

He began his career with the Don Lee Radio Network in 1926. His program originated with KFRC in San Francisco and later was carried by networks to Fresno and Los Angeles.
The daytime show, "The Happy Go Lucky Hour" — also known as "Al Pearce and His Gang" — had one of the first studio audiences.

In 1946, with the advent of television, Pearce took his show to Channel 2."

—Los Angeles Times June 3, 1961

Here's the gang in an undated photograph.....Mr. Pearce is standing at far left. (not sure why the guy in the center is wearing a diaper)

detail
__
Morey Amsterdam, later a foil on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:37 AM

Yep, you're both right.

Here he is with his beloved Pickles on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

https://michaelstvtray.com/2014/11/1...-more-pickles/

Pickles wasn't often seen, but when she was, it was always a hoot. She was played by the actress Joan Shawlee.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:52 AM

I was just informed there were TWO PICKLES.

The first Pickle was played by Barbara Perry.

http://toobworld.blogspot.com/2011/1...o-pickles.html

Lets take a look at the two faces of Pickles.....

"Barbara Perry originated the role of Buddy's wife. She appeared in the episodes "Sally Is A Girl" and "Where You Been, Fassbinder?" Less than a year later, Pickles returned in "My Husband Is A Check-Grabber", but now she was played by the statuesque Joan Shawlee. She would go on to play the role twice more, getting to perform with the gang in "The Sam Pomerantz Scandals" and then blubbering her way to comic glory in her showcase episode "Divorce".

"It feels as though Pickles appeared in far more episodes than she did because Buddy talked about her all the time."

from: http://toobworld.blogspot.com/2011/1...o-pickles.html

__

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:49 AM

I never went to Maverick's Flat, though it was intriguing and had great performers. It opened in 1966, the year I left home and my parents moved from South Central to Gardena. In the late '60s and when I visited LA in the '70s we usually went to Hollywood to see music.

I googled MF and yelp has some negative reviews of the current club.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yep, you're both right.

Here he is with his beloved Pickles on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

https://michaelstvtray.com/2014/11/1...-more-pickles/

Pickles wasn't often seen, but when she was, it was always a hoot. She was played by the actress Joan Shawlee.
Shawlee had a really nice career notably as the harried band leader/manager in Some Like It Hot (endlessly yelling for 'Beanstalk!' her equally harried major domo), a nice turn in From Here To Eternity and, likely because Billy Wilder really liked her she showed up in The Apartment. For a time it seemed like she was in everything.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:56 PM

Quote:

Speaking of Morey Amsterdam's wives... his first wife, before either Pickleses, was Mabel Todd, seen in the picture above.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:37 PM

The fellow who wrote "Rum and Coca Cola"?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:40 PM

I don't believe we've seen this color photograph on NLA. I was struck by the delightful color scheme!

www.corbisimages.com

Does anyone remember the Ralph's painted like this?

I thought the 'streamline-modern' Ralph's were basically white, like the one below.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=269 I posted this in Sept. 2009, way back on page 14!!

At the time, sopas_ej commented on the photo above:

"Just now, looking at a book I have, it says that it was at the northeast corner of Wilshire Blvd. and Crescent Drive.
The picture in the book I have is black-and-white and small, so, this color photo is really amazing to me."

"It was designed by Stiles O. Clements, who also designed, among other notable buildings, the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood,
the Wiltern and our beloved, long-ago demolished Richfield building in downtown LA."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't figured out yet which Ralph's is in the top Corbis Image. -sorry. (I'm in a bit of a hurry today)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:04 PM

'mystery' location.

The First Adventist Church, somewhere in Pasadena circa 1910.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...(CHS-5212).jpg

I'm not sure how a 1st Adventist Church differs from the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

notice the Alpha and Omega on the two smaller windows on the front.

below: I've enlarged the windows so they're easier to see. The large window is extremely beautiful.

detail

I would have placed the Alpha on the left, and the Omega on the right...............but, that's just me.

And the old cabin in the back is especially intriguing. It looks like it might have been one of the first residences in Pasadena!

detail

I'm off to Illinois to visit my Mom . Have fun everyone!
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:

I don't believe we've seen this color photograph on NLA. I was struck by the delightful color scheme!

www.corbisimages.com

I haven't figured out yet which Ralph's is in the top Corbis Image.
It looks like the branch at Crenshaw and Rodeo. We've seen this shot before, but it now seems to be missing.

Exterior view of Ralphs Market and parking lot on opening day at Crenshaw Boulevard and Rodeo Road, April 25th, 1942.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post

The fellow who wrote "Rum and Coca Cola"?
The history of this cute song is a long and twisting road involving lawsuits and other strange deeds.

Rum and Coca-Cola” is the title of a popular calypso. Originally composed by Lord Invader and Lionel Belasco, it was copyrighted in the United States by entertainer Morey Amsterdam and became a huge hit in 1945 for the Andrews Sisters, spending ten weeks at the top of Billboard's U.S. Pop Singles chart.

The story is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_and_Coca-Cola

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:12 PM

I seem to be busier at the start of the week, so I skipped over several larger Julius Shulman photosets (I'll come back to them) before I found this one. Now I wish we had some interior shots! The three black & white shots duplicate these color ones, so I've left them out. They look so clear, it's hard to believe they're from 1939. "Job 6469: Mackey (Pearl) Apartments (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1939".

All from Getty Research Institute

The description names the architect as Rudolph M Schindler, which is confirmed by the 1939 new building permit. The building permit also says that the original owner was Pearl Mackey, hence the name in the job title. The address is given as 1137 South Cochran Avenue. The apartments and the house on the right appear to be virtually unchanged from the pictures above. The building records I wanted for the apartments on the left aren't available to view online, but it looks like they replaced a 1926 garage in 1987. I thought they may also be quite interesting, but the Edgewood Place side turned out to be rather dull!

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos