HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:26 AM
World Traveler

Someone mentioned this idea in another thread - can't find it again, though. Basically, build an expansion to DKR that would connect to a building large enough for a legit basketball arena - that'd be one construction project to knock out two items on the wish list - expansion and new basketball arena. Or of course, re-do the Gregory (probably cheaper), but I'm just thinking big here.

I forget - what is the building that is immediately to the south of the stadium, between the stadium and the Gregory?

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Someone mentioned this idea in another thread - can't find it again, though. Basically, build an expansion to DKR that would connect to a building large enough for a legit basketball arena - that'd be one construction project to knock out two items on the wish list - expansion and new basketball arena. Or of course, re-do the Gregory (probably cheaper), but I'm just thinking big here.

I forget - what is the building that is immediately to the south of the stadium, between the stadium and the Gregory?
Gregory is west of the stadium.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:06 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:

Directly south is Moncrief-Neuhaus. That's the lockerroom, weightrooms, meeting rooms, offices, etc. South of that is the students' Rec Sports complex.

Gregory is west up the hill on Speedway across from the McCombs business school.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
What about Augie Garrido? What an embarrassing and pathetic excuse of a baseball team he continues to trot out there after gloating about them all of season. Geez!

Man, Dodds really allowed all three major coaches to get lazy over the past 5-6 years leading Texas sports (the major ones) into such mediocracy.
UT Baseball was in the College World Series last year and a game away from playing for the championship. Yes, this year is super disappointing, but I don't think you can put all that on Augie. Your next coach is already on the bench in Skip Johnson, so it's all semantics if you really have to get rid of Augie.

As for the basketball arena, I think the south shore in a joint venture with the city and an MLS franchise to build both an arena/soccer stadium/mixed development would be ideal but I think the south endzone at DKR could be a viable option. Patterson is pushing hard to get the south endzone financed and what better way than to combine it with basketball and knock them both out at once.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphogan View Post

As for the basketball arena, I think the south shore in a joint venture with the city and an MLS franchise to build both an arena/soccer stadium/mixed development would be ideal but I think the south endzone at DKR could be a viable option. Patterson is pushing hard to get the south endzone financed and what better way than to combine it with basketball and knock them both out at once.
MLS and basketball aren't 2 sports that can share the same space, so a UT bball arena joint venture with soccer is pretty much a no go as far as the fan experience is concerned.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:37 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
MLS and basketball aren't 2 sports that can share the same space, so a UT bball arena joint venture with soccer is pretty much a no go as far as the fan experience is concerned.
You could have them side-by-side is what I think he meant. I'm still very much against the south shore being used for a sports venue of any kind.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:03 AM
World Traveler

I had my buildings mixed up. Not a former UT student here, sorry!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 9:51 AM
World Traveler

So I wanted to bring this thread back to the top for a bit. Has anyone heard anything recently? Rumors? Facts? Opinions? etc.

I haven't found anything concrete in a quick online search, but some of you guys seem to know people and hear things before it's official.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
So I wanted to bring this thread back to the top for a bit. Has anyone heard anything recently? Rumors? Facts? Opinions? etc.

I haven't found anything concrete in a quick online search, but some of you guys seem to know people and hear things before it's official.
UT fired their athletic director last year so that kind of derailed everything. I don't think anything has been publicly discussed since.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 9:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:59 PM
Closed account

I think they are going to want city money to make it seat 17,000 people.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:13 AM
World Traveler

Once often thought that this would be the best site for a new arena if they want it on campus. What is their off-campus proposal? Or is that unknown? The article mentioned that they have one but I didn't catch a location.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Once often thought that this would be the best site for a new arena if they want it on campus. What is their off-campus proposal? Or is that unknown? The article mentioned that they have one but I didn't catch a location.
The actual Master Plan mentions an offsite location as a 5th option but doesn't disclose a physical address just says it's an option if the City or a Private entity comes forward to work with them. (Or something along those lines)

Here is the actual PDF of the Master Plan:
https://texassports_com.s3.amazonaws...16.pdf?id=5142

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
I think they are going to want city money to make it seat 17,000 people.
They can but try, but considering that Austinites are already forking over $170/year in increased property taxes for the medical center they might be barking down an empty hole.

Looking at the aerials it does look like the existing center could fit in that space. There is definitely a massing of athletic facilities on that part of campus and this would just increase that.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think this would be a better location. Would have to find another location for a new swim center, though.

I don't know the source of this picture. It was posted on shaggy and the link doesn't make sense to me.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 3:48 AM

^That is actually from the UT Athletics Master Plan that was posted several comments up.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:58 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadingpa View Post
^That is actually from the UT Athletics Master Plan that was posted several comments up.
Thanks. I hadn't looked at the link yet.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiveman View Post
The actual Master Plan mentions an offsite location as a 5th option but doesn't disclose a physical address just says it's an option if the City or a Private entity comes forward to work with them. (Or something along those lines)

Here is the actual PDF of the Master Plan:
https://texassports_com.s3.amazonaws...16.pdf?id=5142
I know it's just a mock-up, but the DKR South End Zone doesn't match the North End Zone

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
I know it's just a mock-up, but the DKR South End Zone doesn't match the North End Zone
The east side doesn't match the west side either.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Just the opinion of one Ex, but I think that before they add more seats to Memorial Stadium, they should be consistently filling the ones they have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin