HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 12:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

My post from March 5, 2015:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've tried to draw it before, but I don't have the skills. My idea would be an arena designed to be used as just a lower level (most women's games and some men's), but be expandable to an upperdeck for big games and tournaments.

There'd be a lower bowl. At the top of that lower level, there would be luxury suites. The upper deck would be above the suites. For smaller games, there would be a way to cut off the upper deck from view, and also keep the noise down low to make it a louder environment. My mind sees large, dark curtain-like panels draped from above the center court scoreboard to the tops of the luxury suites. But it would obviously have to be done in an aesthetically pleasing way, and not trailer-trashy (OU).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
My post from March 5, 2015:
Thank you for sharing your vision to reality come true. What does your mind say the numbers are for the next powerball? And how many of us will be forced to play them....just in case?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:36 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

17,000 seats. Not really much bigger than the Ewin Center. I'm assuming that does not include added seating for concerts since the Ewin Center can hold up to 17,500. Would like it to be around 18-18,500k for an all purpose arena. Still, I'll hold off judgment until we see renderings. If it's a well designed arena, I'll probably be content with seating capacity.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Thank you for sharing your vision to reality come true. What does your mind say the numbers are for the next powerball? And how many of us will be forced to play them....just in case?
That was a freebie. CALL NOW and get 5 picks plus this week's Stone Cold LOCK!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
That was a freebie. CALL NOW and get 5 picks plus this week's Stone Cold LOCK!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:17 PM

This is a Home Run for UT and Austin. Free modern arena that allows you to expand the medical school and still get top touring events. Well done. Reducing the size of the arena would mean Austin would lose out on top touring events that only plan double deck arenas and we would potentially be in position of asking voters to spend tax money on a separate arena. This is really great news for ATX.

Last edited by freerover; Dec 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
This is a Home Run for UT and Austin. Free modern arena that allows you to expand the medical school and still get top touring events. Well done. Reducing the size of the arena would mean Austin would lose out on top touring events that only plan double deck arenas and we would potentially be in position of asking voters to spend tax money on a separate arena. This is really great news for ATX.
I agree. My hope is the design is there. The Drum is sooo bad for everything, sound, experience, food...on and on.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:03 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

All from UT email.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:05 PM

Looks fantastic. Renderings seem to confirm Red River St will be re-routed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:23 PM

Wow, these look great! Though it's unclear from the picture how they're structuring the upper vs. lower levels.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

Looks like those screens come down to cover the upper level during a game? Looks really nice!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 10:51 PM

Big, clear rendering

Crazy that it will be butted up right next to 35. Should allow for good marketing of the team.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 12:32 AM

Finally some compelling architecture from Gensler. Hopefully this doesn't VE'd into another blue box.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's not as big as the info we got yesterday indicated. Per KVUE it will seat 10,000 with only 15,000 in expanded seating capacity. That's not just a little smaller than the Erwin Center, that's quite a bit smaller. I fear we will lose a lot of concert acts that favor indoor arenas and will get passed over for SA. As large as Austin is, we deserve an arena that can at least fit as many as the Erwin Center an really more. 18,000-18,500. One of my family members even commented that it should be larger as we were watching the news.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:12 AM

Geez Louise, there's not a whole lot of buffer from the feeder road on the east side. Definitely needs some sort of barrier there to keep vehicles and people separated safely.
I like how they kept the profile low by placing part of the arena below grade, unless I'm mistaken. There should be a big hole in the ground pre construction. Unless they actually build it with a total capacity towards 20k, get used to seeing has been bands playing there. Peter Frampton anyone? Of course there's always the MLS stadium for larger venues and it will be somewhat covered. They should both be online by 2021.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:49 AM

KVUE doesn’t know shit about shit. Investors are not paying to build an arena that cant’t attract top tours. Just wait until they release more details about the interior designs and layouts.

Yea. The arena will be half underground in part because of capital view corridors.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
KVUE doesn’t know shit about shit. Investors are not paying to build an arena that cant’t attract top tours. Just wait until they release more details about the interior designs and layouts.

Yea. The arena will be half underground in part because of capital view corridors.
In an email from Fenves, he confirmed the size though. He said:

"The 10,000-seat arena will be the new home of Texas Men’s and Women’s basketball and other UT and community functions, including many of our college graduation ceremonies. Its capacity can expand to up to 15,000 for concerts and other events."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:21 PM
Resident Moron

This is the size I was hoping for. We'll actually fill a 10K person arena somewhat regularly.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:19 PM

works IFF Red River is approved thru campus to maintain the N/S corridor.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:51 PM

Yeah I'm happy with the size. And they're trying to finish construction by 2021. Same year the McKalla Place stadium is expected to open. That will be a fun year for Austin sports.

Can't wait until they start destruction of the Erwin Center.

Linking the full university press conference on the announcement, for reference.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin