HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It's like a Borg Tactical Cube had a baby with a siding factory on a parking lot.
Yes, I see what your refering to now, very Winnipeg Esque ©

Borg Assimilation Cube Blueprints

cygnus-x1.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

wcc.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 7:55 PM

^ The resemblance is uncanny!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:14 AM
Heart of the Continent

Sometimes, I think you guys expect too much.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:32 PM

^ No, I don't think so, It's just a tough room..

I believe peoples views are changing, ever so slowly and some Winnipeger's are starting to think, "Hey, Why do we have to just fill that empty downtown lot with whatever is presented to us, just maybe it can be functional and aesthetically pleasing" ?

+ several floors (diagrams in OP) could have been designed with a view to the outside incorporated into the design. Not cost effective? In Winnipeg we'll just do a straight blank wall, no one will notice..

...Only in the Peg

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:42 PM

^ It's not terrible, just that it could have been a bit better. That said, I realize that the economics of this project were tenuous at best (a common refrain in this town) so this is probably not bad in light of that... at least there are nice parts of the project. In all reality not many will end up noticing the southern end of the complex.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's not terrible, just that it could have been a bit better. That said, I realize that the economics of this project were tenuous at best (a common refrain in this town) so this is probably not bad in light of that... at least there are nice parts of the project. In all reality not many will end up noticing the southern end of the complex.
Ahh, said like a true pegger..

I do like what they've done up until the cube?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 7:48 PM

Maybe they could hang the giant portrait of the Queen on it

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:01 PM
Source?

If the massive blank box portion was maybe a different colour than beige, or if some effort was put into the design of it (any effort at all...). Accepting the 70's colours from the old portion rather than update the whole exterior was pretty lazy...

But I suppose the budget for this project was so small that any additional effort put into something as "trivial" as design woulda killed it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:35 PM

But at the same time, if they did design something nice & fancy, people would complain about the cost, or something else. It's a lose lose situation on this forum.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 8:58 PM
BANNED

it's just a waste of a project all around... I prefer a parking lot over this, at least a parking lot has potential.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 9:11 PM

^ I'm OK with the project. With it, we have maxed out the Convention Centre and it has netted us a fairly substantial building even if it isn't necessarily the prettiest. Now to find a way to pay for it...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:53 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

But what was the point? It wasn't busy before. So what do we get for our tax dollars, we get to see a few more shitty pontoon boats in the spring?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:21 AM

^ More events, bigger events, more big events simultaneously. I don't think it will ever be expanded again after this... one expansion to keep the Convention Centre current 40 years after it first opened seems reasonable to me. As for the financial model, that's a separate issue altogether...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:59 AM

So now that the city has a sizeable surplus, can they use that instead of the hotel tax to start paying this off?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So now that the city has a sizeable surplus, can they use that instead of the hotel tax to start paying this off?
Isn't the hotel 'tax' the absolutely most appropriate place to get Convention Centre expansion funds from?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Isn't the hotel 'tax' the absolutely most appropriate place to get Convention Centre expansion funds from?
That glass-walled space above York seems like it was tailor-made to score loads of weddings and banquets. The city hasn't seen such a nice new function space in years, possibly decades.

I have to concede that if I were a hotelier, I'd probably be a little pissed about having to collect a tax that is going to pay for a facility that is in direct competition with my business...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 1:56 PM

Is it confirmed that the wall will remain empty? Seems like they could jazz it up with lights, signage, murals or something.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:20 PM

^It's a pretty safe bet that's the finished product.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:34 PM

It really feels like the blank wall on the east side of the expansion is ripe for a future video billboard. It would act like a mural or banner ad for events at RBC Convention Centre, and Winnipeg in general, but be a lot easier to change out. It will also make for the perfect screen to show the Jets winning the Stanley Cup in 2019 to the outdoor crowd on the WCB surface parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It really feels like the blank wall on the east side of the expansion is ripe for a future video billboard. It would act like a mural or banner ad for events at RBC Convention Centre, and Winnipeg in general, but be a lot easier to change out. It will also make for the perfect screen to show the Jets winning the Stanley Cup in 2019 to the outdoor crowd on the WCB surface parking lot.
I actually don't mind the thought of some video screens or billboards. The city has done its best to stamp them out downtown as though they are public enemy #1, but if used in moderation I think they could liven up the streetscape a little bit.

That said, the visibility of a screen on Carlton or Edmonton would not be that high... or perhaps not high enough to attract enough advertising to support a giant screen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan