HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 4:13 PM

Expanded Westjet Service

I noticed when Westjet announced their 2015-2016 winter schedule yesterday their blog said "we're adding flights to and from...Saskatoon" and "extending summer service levels through this winter in cities like...Regina." This was all in reference to their domestic schedule.

I can't seem to find more information anywhere...does anyone know details?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
I noticed when Westjet announced their 2015-2016 winter schedule yesterday their blog said "we're adding flights to and from...Saskatoon" and "extending summer service levels through this winter in cities like...Regina." This was all in reference to their domestic schedule.

I can't seem to find more information anywhere...does anyone know details?
I don't have any hard facts, but from what I understand, the added flights are more frequency between YXE and YYC, and the extended summer service is the YQR to YVR to go all year. What the frequency is, I'm not sure, but nothing has been posted yet, so won't know until more details come out.

Again, I haven't seen anything regarding this. This is just info I'm getting through the grape vine.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:11 PM

I was in the Saskatoon airport over the weekend --my first time. That's a very nice looking airport. I'm impressed. I hope you guys are able to attract some more flights.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 6:50 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I don't have any hard facts, but from what I understand, the added flights are more frequency between YXE and YYC, and the extended summer service is the YQR to YVR to go all year. What the frequency is, I'm not sure, but nothing has been posted yet, so won't know until more details come out.

Again, I haven't seen anything regarding this. This is just info I'm getting through the grape vine.
An additional daily flight between YXE, YQR, and Edmonton was announced by Westjet Encore. Regina flight effective October 2015 and Saskatoon flight effective December 2015.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
An additional daily flight between YXE, YQR, and Edmonton was announced by Westjet Encore. Regina flight effective October 2015 and Saskatoon flight effective December 2015.
That's good news! Our airports are climbing the charts.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 9:47 PM

The feds are kicking in $300,000 to market the Regina and Saskatoon airports to U.S. carriers in order to increase the number of trans-border flights. What good that'll do, who knows. (Airlines are market-driven.)

Give it a try anyway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:03 PM

Looks like more bird problems at Saskatoon airport.....

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/air-canada...140939273.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:28 PM

An FYI thing here: This Saturday and Sunday, there will be a WWII B-25 medium bomber at the Regina Airport. It is en route to an aviation museum.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 11:55 PM

I was looking at flights this winter between YXE & YQR and Toronto Pearson and noticed that Air Canada has replaced most of the flights with A319's and A320's. It looks like it starts on October 26 and ends on march 31. Afterwards returning to more frequent E90 service. Good news!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I was looking at flights this winter between YXE & YQR and Toronto Pearson and noticed that Air Canada has replaced most of the flights with A319's and A320's. It looks like it starts on October 26 and ends on march 31. Afterwards returning to more frequent E90 service. Good news!
Likely to see more A319 and A320 flights over time as Air Canada is getting rid of quite a few of the E90.

In two years they start to get 737 and they start to reduce the A319/320s. In the long-term it is looking like fewer larger aircraft.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 5:38 PM

That's too bad; the '190 is a very nice airplane to fly as a passenger in. Fewer flights as well.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Likely to see more A319 and A320 flights over time as Air Canada is getting rid of quite a few of the E90.

In two years they start to get 737 and they start to reduce the A319/320s. In the long-term it is looking like fewer larger aircraft.
I started looking at flights for Feb to Florida about a month ago or so, and when I first was going to book, I had 3 of my 4 legs on the E190. I was thinking that was great. When I finally booked, I ended up having 2 legs on the A320 (To YYZ and back), and 2 on the A321(YYZ - MIA). Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. Nothing beats the E190 and the 2 abreast seating. Very comfortable planes.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I started looking at flights for Feb to Florida about a month ago or so, and when I first was going to book, I had 3 of my 4 legs on the E190. I was thinking that was great. When I finally booked, I ended up having 2 legs on the A320 (To YYZ and back), and 2 on the A321(YYZ - MIA). Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. Nothing beats the E190 and the 2 abreast seating. Very comfortable planes.
This summer Air Canada had 45 E190. By the end of the year that is expected to be down to 32 aircraft and 25 aircraft by the end of next year.

They are going for bigger more cramped aircraft.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:18 PM

It looks like this is a significant reduction in seats from Air Canada for YYZ-YXE/YQR.

Currently Saskatoon-Toronto is five flights per day on the E190 and the red eye on the E175; total of 548 seats per day each way.

In November, this changes to 3 flights/day, one on the E190 and two on the A320; total of 389 seats a day.

Total reduction of 159 seats/day or 1,113 per week, per direction...not good.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:17 PM

I am sure Air Canada will realize the packed flights and needing to expand....HOPEFULLY!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
It looks like this is a significant reduction in seats from Air Canada for YYZ-YXE/YQR.

Currently Saskatoon-Toronto is five flights per day on the E190 and the red eye on the E175; total of 548 seats per day each way.

In November, this changes to 3 flights/day, one on the E190 and two on the A320; total of 389 seats a day.

Total reduction of 159 seats/day or 1,113 per week, per direction...not good.
From YQR perspective, I can't agree with you on this. Last year (winter), YQR averaged 4 flights a day on the E190. That aircraft carries 97 passengers. 97 x 4 = 388.

This winter, the majority of the days will see 1 A320, and 2 A319 aircraft. The A319 carries 120, and the A320 carries 146. You are now looking at 380 passengers for 3 flights as opposed to 388 for 4 flights. I know on weekends, they sub an E190 for one or two of the flights, but last year, they only operated 3 flights on Saturday. So in all reality, not a huge reduction from Air Canada in seats, just the reduction in flights. That mid-afternoon flight is not very full, so I don't really see much loss with this change.

The other factor is the summer time has more flights as there is a fair amount more travel abroad to Europe, so there are more options to get to YYZ from here. Winter time is always a bit less, as there are more direct and non-stop sun destination charters from YQR/YXE that impacts the Air Canada flights to YYZ.

I think for the most part, this is a wash. The biggest disappointment is that the E190 is far superior in the comfort aspect of your 3 hour flight to YYZ than the Airbus twins.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 10:23 PM

E90 AC Service to YVR

Looks like AC is getting rid of the CRJ on the YXE - YVR flight. Beginning of November YXE - YVR will be served by mainline AC on an E90. But, they are also eliminating the direct 7am flight to YVR and now there will only be one direct flight departing YXE at 6pm.

I'm not liking the frequency reduction from YXE to YYZ and YVR.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
Looks like AC is getting rid of the CRJ on the YXE - YVR flight. Beginning of November YXE - YVR will be served by mainline AC on an E90. But, they are also eliminating the direct 7am flight to YVR and now there will only be one direct flight departing YXE at 6pm.

Have you heard if there is to be a reduction of flights in/out of YQR? I haven't heard of any as-of-yet.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Have you heard if there is to be a reduction of flights in/out of YQR? I haven't heard of any as-of-yet.
Yes - looks like the same thing is happening in YQR. One direct flight serviced by an E90 - departing 16:45. Morning direct flight has been eliminated.

Looks to start beginning of November

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post

Just like the YYZ flights, this is a shift in equipment for the winter season. In April this service will go back to twice a week on the fantastically cramped CRJ aircraft that seat 50, as opposed to one of the nicer planes that Air Canada has in the E190 that seats 97.

I know what you're saying in losing the morning service as it's timed pretty good to get into Vancouver and have a full day there before taking the late night flight home. But again, just a reduction in frequency, not seats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan