HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:00 PM

Demo of the MegaMall in Logan Square to start in December to make way for Logan Crossing. I'm really excited about this project - it will tie together the two thriving Logan Square nodes along Milwaukee Ave at California and Kedzie. With this moving forward I assume it means that the Logan Twins and the 'L' apartments must be filling up decently.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ssing-teardown

Last edited by Arm&Kedzie; Nov 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 6:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
The definition of affordable should not be a person living on disability. Your cherry-picked example is someone making $12,000 per year. The rule of thumb of using 25-30% of income dedicated to housing leaves this person $3,000 - $3,600 per year for housing.

That's $250 - $300 per month for rent. Your example is absurd.
You think it's absurd because you believe it is a rare instance, an example that doesn't impact more than a few people. But you're wrong. The *median* income for the first quintile of households is $12,000 per year, with the max at about $21,000. In a city with approximately 1 million households, that means that at least 100,000 households are in exactly the circumstances you consider "absurd" and "cherry-picked."

The unfortunate reality is that the vast majority of Americans are completely unaware of just how bad things are for the lowest-income individuals and households in this country. You're obviously not alone in your misconception that the situation I described is somehow unusual or so rare that you can casually dismiss it as an outlier but the unfortunate reality is that it's *not* particularly rare. It's just that because of the economic stratification and economic segregation that far surpasses any racial segregation that ever existed in this country, most Americans who *aren't* in the lowest quintile of income don't know people who are. And even when they do know people in the lowest quintile, often they don't know just how poor they are because American culture puts such a burden of shame on being impoverished that people who are that poor often would rather suffer in silence than risk being humiliated further.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
Demo of the MegaMall in Logan Square to start in December to make way for Logan Crossing. I'm really excited about this project - it will tie together the two thriving Logan Square nodes along Milwaukee Ave at California and Kedzie. With this moving forward I assume it means that the Logan Twins and the 'L' apartments must be filling up decently.
Good to hear. They should keep some of the awesome art that's popped up on the side of the Mega Mall though. Would hate to see it all lost.

In other Logan Square news, the parcel of land at 2345 W Armitage (Armitage & just east of Western), former home of the greatly suburban style Sam's Red Hots, sold last month. Anyone have any ideas of what might come? Hoping for something good that's TOD. The lot is a little over 3000 sq ft so they could probably fit something moderately sized on it of at least 10 units.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9175...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 9:58 PM
TL;DR

^ The DNAInfo article said the land would continue to be operated as a hot dog stand. But then the existing hot dog stand closed, so I'm thinking the information was wrong.

It's a nonconforming business on a residential zoned parcel, so if the business stays closed for (I believe) six months, they would have to get a zoning change to re-open.

Unfortunately the residential zoning also means the parcel would need a zoning change to B or C categories to put up a TOD. The triangular site is hard to squeeze parking in, so a TOD is a good fit... Maybe not a mid-rise or mixed-use, but certainly 4 residential stories with no parking and a partial basement.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
ugh^

just move to the ghetto, right?

You could likely find something in Albany Park, Ravenswood, Rogers Park, Jeff Park, Edison Park, Avondale, and many more. Will it be updated and pristine? No, but $1,000 isn't nearly as much as it used to be.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ The DNAInfo article said the land would continue to be operated as a hot dog stand. But then the existing hot dog stand closed, so I'm thinking the information was wrong.

It's a nonconforming business on a residential zoned parcel, so if the business stays closed for (I believe) six months, they would have to get a zoning change to re-open.

Unfortunately the residential zoning also means the parcel would need a zoning change to B or C categories to put up a TOD. The triangular site is hard to squeeze parking in, so a TOD is a good fit... Maybe not a mid-rise or mixed-use, but certainly 4 residential stories with no parking and a partial basement.
Turns out there's a "thread" about it on the Facebook group Forgotten Chicago. That's funny - weird coincidence. Some guy on there said his friend or something owns a business near there and said it's being remodeled for a Hot Dog stand.

Does that even make economic sense to keep it as such? I guess maybe if they only plan on staying in business for 3-5 years before selling the land again while hoping prices keep increasing in that area... kind of weird to me though.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 1:41 AM

Ran some of the "Recently Sold" real estate data on Realtor.com for Chicago by community area for October. Here are some of the top community areas for various types. I tried to filter out parking spots being sold (downtown mostly).

Overall
1. Near North Side: 170 sales
2. Lakeview: 144
3. West Town: 139
4. Lincoln Park: 103
5. Logan Square: 81
6. Near West Side: 72
7. Uptown: 71
8. Edgewater: 67
9. The Loop: 65
10. Near South Side 61

Single Family Homes
1. Dunning: 42
2. Ashburn: 41
3. Garfield Ridge: 39
4. Portage Park: 34
5. Austin: 30
6. Washington Heights: 29
7. Norwood Park: 25
8. Roseland: 24
9T. Belmont Cragin: 23
9T. Auburn Gresham: 23

Condo Units
1. Near North Side: 168
2. Lakeview: 122
3. West Town: 107
4. Lincoln Park: 87
5. Near West Side: 69
6T. Uptown: 65
6T. The Loop: 65
8. Near South Side: 61
9T. Edgewater: 52
9T. Logan Square: 52

Multi Unit Buildings
1. New City: 21
2. Austin: 15
3. North Lawndale: 14
4T. Irving Park: 13
4T. South Shore: 13
4T. Belmont Cragin: 13
4T. Brighton Park: 13
4T. Humboldt Park: 13
9T. West Town: 12
9T. Logan Square: 12
9T. Chicago Lawn: 12

Land
1. Grand Boulevard: 6
2. Logan Square: 5
3. Lakeview: 4
4T. New City: 3
4T. Humboldt Park: 3
6T. Austin: 2
6T. North Lawndale: 2
6T. Edgewater: 2
6T. Garfield Ridge: 2
East Garfield Park, West Ridge, Avondale, Dunning, Douglas, and Armour Square each with 1

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 6:50 AM

I can never tell if there's actual positive movement going on in Austin, or if that many homes sold simply because the neighborhood is so large.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 8:24 AM

So I passed by the Sam's Red Hots place in Logan Square tonight. The window had plywood up with big spray painted "CLOSED FOR GOOD" on it and the sign was down. Not convinced yet it's coming back as a hot dog stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
I can never tell if there's actual positive movement going on in Austin, or if that many homes sold simply because the neighborhood is so large.
Yeah. I'm guessing it's because the neighborhood is so large, but then again there's other large neighborhoods like South Lawndale with barely any movement (13 total sales versus 50 for Austin). This might correspond a little bit to the US Census estimates which have South Lawndale as losing people but Austin as having gained people since 2010.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 3:25 PM
The City

^ Not only that, but Austin has seen a dramatic rise in home values.

I'm curious what forces are at work here?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not only that, but Austin has seen a dramatic rise in home values.

I'm curious what forces are at work here?
I haven't dug directly into it, but the numbers are usually quoted for the submarket, which for Austin, includes Montclare and Belmont Cragin.

It isn't unreasonable that the overall increases are being driven entirely by the parts north of North Ave.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 6:50 PM

1330 W Fulton

Nov 11

Nov 17

Nov21

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 7:19 PM

321 Morgan (?)

Across from the old Fulton Mkt cold Storage - new hotel
Nov 4

Nov 21
a nice brick veneer

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 7:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

If you go around the corner on Google Street view on Wilmot Ave, A more recent image date of Sept 2016 shows 'closed for good" signage.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
If you go around the corner on Google Street view on Wilmot Ave, A more recent image date of Sept 2016 shows 'closed for good" signage.
They've been working on it for a couple of months. but it's pretty much dressing up the old stand. New roof & overhanging eaves, new siding, pouring a real floor, that sort of stuff.

It's gonna be some kind of walk up restaurant. If they're smart they'll use the rest of the lot as a patio.
The new owner is a restauranteur. I think it might Arturo's tacos

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 10:09 PM

Wondering if any of our developer or zoning expert forum members have any thoughts here – how come live/work zoning isn't more prevalent in Chicago? Can it be used for new construction or is it typically only grandfathered in from older buildings?

I stayed in a live/work building in downtown LA this past week (though it was a loft conversion), so curious about this...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Wondering if any of our developer or zoning expert forum members have any thoughts here – how come live/work zoning isn't more prevalent in Chicago? Can it be used for new construction or is it typically only grandfathered in from older buildings?

I stayed in a live/work building in downtown LA this past week (though it was a loft conversion), so curious about this...
Live work can be achieved two ways. As a special use and via B2 zoning.

On existing buildings they both have a problem in that they don't provide for the additional dwelling unit created by adapting the storefront to a residence. So they are only appropriate on a building that has been constructed below allowable density. It also requires things like a full bath and a kitchen which may be difficult to shoehorn in to an existing building.

We get a lot of developers asking for B2, but what they really want it the free FAR that comes with a B. They only pay lip service to "live/work" and show you a design for residential building with the ground floor 5 feet in the air.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 12:37 AM
The City

Why are they tearing up part of the field at the NW corner of Roosevelt and Halsted?

I've always wished a building would go there

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 1:47 AM

Aplle store

Nov 11

Nov 16

Forced air for a toasty apple

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 1:51 AM
The City

Wow this Apple Store is going to be epic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development