HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I wonder if Richcraft is kicking itself for having scaled back the density of Place des Gouverneurs just for a quick buck ten years ago. I notice they no longer have that development in their website so it must be going through a big rethink.
They still own a massive amount of land at that site.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 7:31 AM

High rise buildings near LRT stations are great, but it now seems like there are dozens of these projects proposed all over the city (and very few actual shovels in the ground). Unless there is some sort of giant paradigm shift that isn't obvious, where is the demand going to come from? I am afraid we're going to be stuck with a lot of vacant brownfields for decades.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder if Richcraft is kicking itself for having scaled back the density of Place des Gouverneurs just for a quick buck ten years ago. I notice they no longer have that development in their website so it must be going through a big rethink.
The flip side being that if Richcraft was in a hurry to build taller buildings by transit stations, they would have moved on their sites on Parkdale and Carling...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:56 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
High rise buildings near LRT stations are great, but it now seems like there are dozens of these projects proposed all over the city (and very few actual shovels in the ground). Unless there is some sort of giant paradigm shift that isn't obvious, where is the demand going to come from? I am afraid we're going to be stuck with a lot of vacant brownfields for decades.
Judging from the high rents and cost of housing in this city, I’d say there’s probably a healthy case for many of these projects, but developers and investors just don’t want to burst a profitable bubble. Most of these high rises are going for the ‘luxury condo’ niche. I’d love to see one of them go with reasonably priced units that can compete with cheap suburban housing (with the cost of commuting factored in).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:57 PM

With market filtering at work, any and all new construction will work to make all new housing more affordable, even if the new construction is only high end. We need to stop fussing over the types of new development and instead just welcome as much new supply as possible.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There's huge latent demand for rental housing in Ottawa, as evidenced by low vacancy rates and high annual rent growth.

Rental/high rise construction is at an all time high, with some 2500 units breaking ground in each of 2018 and 2019 (roughly double the pace of earlier years).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Judging from the high rents and cost of housing in this city, I’d say there’s probably a healthy case for many of these projects, but developers and investors just don’t want to burst a profitable bubble. Most of these high rises are going for the ‘luxury condo’ niche. I’d love to see one of them go with reasonably priced units that can compete with cheap suburban housing (with the cost of commuting factored in).
Is it "most"? I've had the impression that high-end rentals are moving to the fore.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:29 PM

In 2019 the vacancy rate rose very slightly, suggesting that the big uptick in construction in the past few years means we're finally building enough to keep pace with population growth. Nonetheless, a cursory look at total inventory and vacancy rate data suggests that the market could easily absorb 3,000 new units on top of any demand growth from population growth.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:27 PM

Could someone please post the renderings. They are available on the city development application website now. I don’t have access to a computer for a while. Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamgirkhan View Post
Could someone please post the renderings. They are available on the city development application website now. I don’t have access to a computer for a while. Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:44 AM

Hmmm quite a modern design from Barry Hobin. I like it. It's a lot less Roderick Lahey looking than his concept for Bayshore and his Frontier buildings in Gloucester. I like how adaptable Hobin's work is, his portfolio represents a lot of different styles.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Hmmm quite a modern design from Barry Hobin. I like it. It's a lot less Roderick Lahey looking than his concept for Bayshore and his Frontier buildings in Gloucester. I like how adaptable Hobin's work is, his portfolio represents a lot of different styles.
I don't think those are Hobin designs. I think it is a partnership between a Montreal and a Gatineau architect and frankly the Planning Rationale is written in an odd way with basically a bio of the developers and the architects at the start of the report. Not sure that the City Planning Department really care.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:02 AM

its a groupe heafy project. looks great!!!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:33 AM

Urgh, why can't we have this downtown? I'd take this over the Claridge Moon/Royale anytime.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:40 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Pierre Moffet and Denis Archambault under 6770967 Canada Inc. are proposing a development consisting of a mixed-use building complex at 1098 Ogilvie Road & 1178 Cummings Avenue, to be called "Lux Place". The complex is comprised of two podiums and three towers of various height. The project includes approximately 850 dwelling units and approximately 150 hotel rooms. The mixed-use development proposes an approximate total of 990 parking spaces located on a five storey underground parking, with 270 of those spaces being set aside for the hotel use and 720 spaces to be provided for residential and visitor uses. In addition to vehicular parking, a total of 431 bicycle parking spaces are required (425 for residential uses; 6 commercial uses). The requested bicycle parking spaces will be provided and located in the parking garage.

The three (3) towers of the complex are designed with podiums bases. The podiums are designed to be six (6) storeys in height. The proposed building design and shape, divides the building along its three main vertical components; A podium, a middle part and a top part. Specific design features contribute to emphasizing the lower floor of the buildings.

The northwest tower and the northeast tower are identical although the one at the northwest has twenty five (25) storeys and the one at the northeast has twenty seven (27) storeys. The tower at the southwest has a distinctive design. It has a squarer floor plate shape and a height of thirty six (36) storeys. The north podium defines the street edge along Cummings Avenue, Ogilvie Road and the future street, within the said triangle, linking Ogilvie Road and Cyrville Road.

Architect: PMA Architectes & Lapalme Rheault Architectes + Associés

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BMQ4JR

Siteplan:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 4:17 AM

Same architect as Le Viu and W/E in Hull. Nice.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
There's huge latent demand for rental housing in Ottawa, as evidenced by low vacancy rates and high annual rent growth.

Rental/high rise construction is at an all time high, with some 2500 units breaking ground in each of 2018 and 2019 (roughly double the pace of earlier years).
The National Capital Region added 20k bureaucrats between 2017 and 2019.

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-bo...al-region.html

Meanwhile, the mini baby boom of the late 80s and early 90s are in their prime rental years.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../ct006-eng.htm

Both of these factors suggest a temporary surge in demand for rental housing and the demand will probably drop off fairly quickly as the last cohort of millennials start adulting (replaced by the much less populous Generation Z in the rental market) and new hires from the bureaucrat surge start buying homes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:00 PM

What about the record levels of immigration Canada is now experiencing, and Ottawa's increasing appeal to new immigrants? Surely that is part of the demand...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
What about the record levels of immigration Canada is now experiencing, and Ottawa's increasing appeal to new immigrants? Surely that is part of the demand...
I guess it would depend how many are settling in Ottawa and how many of those want this type of housing. Canada is increasingly getting immigration from cultures that prefer large, multigenerational houses.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:49 PM
ハルウララ

I know we were previously discussing TOD at St-Laurent but I was expecting something like this at St-Laurent, not at Cyrville. Decent enough design on the face of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa