HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:31 PM

Old synagogue on North Broad at center of new construction plan.

https://hiddencityphila.org/2020/01/...truction-plan/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Nope, I'm with you. I would have guessed this would be the last one standing due to the size of the garage. The Inquirer did suggest (no evidence) the possibility of Netflix Or Amazon taking over to screen their films which I think would be better than losing it completely.

We sorely need more theaters. With all the multi-use developments going up I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen a "high-end" art house as part of one. I know it already has a grocery, but *ahem* broad and washington is a huge lot.
That's actually a good idea for 1001 S Broad. A theatre would kill there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Seems like a great choice. That's their specialty due to experience.
Chicago-based developer buys bankrupt PES refinery for $240M

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Curious to see what they have in store for part of the site.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Chicago-based developer buys bankrupt PES refinery for $240M

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Curious to see what they have in store for part of the site.
This was the best possible outcome. Let's breath a sigh of relief.

Hopefully the south end of the refinery essentially becomes an extension of the Navy Yard and the north end an extension of the Pennovation Center. And let's hope they build that proposed "River Road".

This amount of acreage could support a huge amount of light industrial manufacturing and warehousing and puts thousands of middle class Philadelphians to work. I'm very excited about this.

Hopefully they clean it up and make it look more like the Navy Yard so that the entrance to the city from the south looks much better in the future. I've always felt, even though that refinery supported thousands of good paying jobs for the region, that it's very existence stained the entire perception of Philadelphia from the outside.

It is literally the first thing you see when landing at the airport and when entering Center City from the South.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This was the best possible outcome. Let's breath a sigh of relief.

Hopefully the south end of the refinery essentially becomes an extension of the Navy Yard and the north end an extension of the Pennovation Center. And let's hope they build that proposed "River Road".

This amount of acreage could support a huge amount of light industrial manufacturing and warehousing and puts thousands of middle class Philadelphians to work. I'm very excited about this.

Hopefully they clean it up and make it look more like the Navy Yard so that the entrance to the city from the south looks much better in the future. I've always felt, even though that refinery supported thousands of good paying jobs for the region, that it's very existence stained the entire perception of Philadelphia from the outside.

It is literally the first thing you see when landing at the airport and when entering Center City from the South.
Agreed with your analysis. Less pollution from oil/gas refinery means better health for all of us too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:13 PM

‘Their timeline is aggressive:’ Hilco plans to clean up polluted Philly refinery site, city says

https://www.inquirer.com/business/en...-20200122.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
‘Their timeline is aggressive:’ Hilco plans to clean up polluted Philly refinery site, city says

Hilco Redevelopment Partners, whose $240 million bid won an auction to acquire the bankrupt Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery site, aims to move quickly to clean up the 1,300-acre South Philadelphia property and redevelop it into a mixed-use industrial facility, according to city officials.

“I think their timeline is aggressive, I’ll put it that way,” Brian Abernathy, Philadelphia’s managing director, said in an interview Wednesday. “I think they want to be in the ground quickly.”

Abernathy, who headed a four-person city government delegation that attended Friday’s six-hour long auction, said Hilco had done its homework and came well-prepared for negotiations. The Chicago-based company, which specializes in repurposing industrial properties, did not submit a formal plan for the site, but painted its plans in “broad brushes,” he said.

“They’ll probably still keep the tank farm and some of the some of the energy logistics that are on site, but they don’t intend to operate the refinery,” said Abernathy. He said they’re likely to develop the site for multiple users, which he was “exciting” because the property will be less dependent upon a single industry that is susceptible to boom-and-bust cycles.

“Generally I think the way that the site is going to relate to the community — both the nearby community and the city as a whole — is going to be much different than it is today," he said.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:

If I were Penn, now that Hilco has signed on and taken responsibility for environmental clean up...I'd not so subtly come knocking on Hilco's door and say...ahem...set aside this (northern) acreage for us to co-develop.

That area could easily become a manufacturing or research campus.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:26 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

https://www.phila.gov/media/20200122...-Submittal.pdf

Talk about shoving as many units in as you can! Those "Building B" units are basically trinities atop two-car garages!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Old synagogue on North Broad at center of new construction plan.

https://hiddencityphila.org/2020/01/...truction-plan/
Great project for North Broad! Handles the site and the existing historic building really well also

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Great project for North Broad! Handles the site and the existing historic building really well also

it sounds like this is very, very preliminary though.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Here are more renderings of the 2101 Washington development-- there is a SOSNA Zoning Meeting meeting about this tonight at 6:30pm at Shiloh Baptist Church - 2040 Christian St. If you live in Grad Hospital you are eligible to vote, but if you don't live in that area and want to come in support of the project, you can do that too.

If you're wondering about the townhomes in the back, the first 20 foundations have been poured and the first 10 homes framed. Pre-sales on the homes have exceeded expectations!
I should post updates since I'm nearby, but 22nd and Washington is a full on War Zone with construction. Both full block long parcels on the East of 22nd - stretching to 21st and the West - stretching to 23rd - are under active construction with pretty large scale projects (obviously including this one). Not sure there's a larger active construction area than this, totally remaking a huge swath of Wash Ave. FWIW, check out the new Dock Street outpost right there, beautiful new space.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This rendering is a very good start: clean lines, attractive, blends and compliments the historical building, etc. Thumbs up!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:24 PM

Demo and Construction Permits pulled for a triangular lot at 5th and E Passyunk in Queen Village. Ambit Architecture is doing the design:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7eHPrgj...=1x5bjdq3a7f0v

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Demo and Construction Permits pulled for a triangular lot at 5th and E Passyunk in Queen Village. Ambit Architecture is doing the design:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7eHPrgj...=1x5bjdq3a7f0v
Very cool, finally. But ugh, those Rite Aids - the scourge of the city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:45 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Very cool, finally. But ugh, those Rite Aids - the scourge of the city.
I really don't want to hate Rite Aid because they're a PA-based company... but my god I would much, much rather go to CVS (or even Walgreens).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 6:23 PM

The Flatiron had a baby.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:53 PM
Philly Pholly

Not to be repetitive, but I find all this very exciting, so here's a recap,
The NEW Washington Avenue

2101 WashingtonAvenue
2101 Washington Avenue

2101 Washington Avenue 2

2201 Washington Avenue
2201 Washington Avenue

2401 Washington Avenue
2401 Washington Avenue

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:05 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
No where to go but this side of Broad St. I'm really excited too. Washington Ave from Broad St. to Grays Ferry Ave will look dramatically different. Hopefully, they plant trees and greenery to make it feel more like a neighborhood. It still feel somewhat industrial from all the building material/construction retailers on Washington Ave.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:49 AM

Some awesome projects coming to the west side of Washington Ave.

2101 Washington Ave

2201 Washington Ave

2401 Washington Ave

2501 Washington Ave

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development