HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:28 PM

What I read is adding shoulders. I can’t remember the name of the band me ever that was interviewed but his #1 priority was increasing the safety of the road.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I noticed with the 1A story, they're saying widening and not twinning. Is this just making the road a more modern 2 lane roadway, or actually upgrading the whole thing to 4 lanes? I can't really tell, but the price tag suggests they're just making a better 2 lane road.

I admittedly never drive 1A so I don't know how busy it gets between Canmore and Cochrane.
This is from a government press release.

Total funding for the project is $76.5 million. Budget 2019 allocates $26.5 million in the four-year Capital Plan. The remaining $50 million will flow in future years.

The highway widening project will increase safety for the approximately 2,000 vehicles that travel the highway daily. It will improve traffic flow between Cochrane and Canmore, as well as access to the Ghost Lake Recreation Area, which is a popular recreation destination.
Quick facts

The highway has not been significantly upgraded since it was built in 1946.
The project will include:
  • Widening of just over 29 kilometers of the highway from 6.7 meters to 13 meters, which will allow shoulders on either side
  • Widening and making the ditches less steep
  • Smoothing dips and hills and straightening curves to bring the highway to current design standards
  • Design, environmental and archeological work will be completed before a contract is awarded.
  • The project is estimated to take two to three years to complete, once a contract is awarded.

Source: https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...67837C01C3738D

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:37 PM

13 metres -- isn't that just enough for two 3.6m lanes and shoulders?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:46 PM

Ya doesn't sound too wide although 13m is nearly double the existing 6.7m mentioned.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:03 PM

The section that is bad is really just through the reserve.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The section that is bad is really just through the reserve.
^So is that the 29 kms being widened & straightened ?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^So is that the 29 kms being widened & straightened ?
I expect it will be. The other sections outside the reserve were widened a number of years ago.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:11 PM

Saw plans for a round about at highway 37 and 44. That would definitely be a good upgrade.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Saw plans for a round about at highway 37 and 44. That would definitely be a good upgrade.
I’ve always found it weird that every single highway coming out of Edmonton has either traffic lights or interchanges with Highway 37. Why’s that highway so busy?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 2:41 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’ve always found it weird that every single highway coming out of Edmonton has either traffic lights or interchanges with Highway 37. Why’s that highway so busy?
It funnels all the Peace Country traffic into the north side of Edmonton and most specifically St Albert where A LOT of their business is from towns and cities in that general direction. How do I know? That's where my sister and her brood stayed during the holidays in from the North.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b31den View Post
Highway 43x has been open for a couple weeks now. It features a traffic circle at one end and a light at the other. Apparently the light is already slated to be replaced with an interchange within the next year or two.

I have my doubts that the second bypass is going to be good for the city of Grande Prairie. It will likely lead to even more businesses leaving and setting up on the "dirt road side" of the county line. Actually, the county has so much money theyre adding hundreds of km of pavement every year.

On the plus side it has absolutely massive shoulders. They are well over a full lane width.
It looks like the Grande Prairie Bypass (Hwy 43X) extension is signed as Hwy 43, while the former section of Hwy 43 in Grande Prairie is being taken over by the city. Does anyone know if the former section within Grande Prairie will be signed as Hwy 43A (including small sections in Grande Prairie County) or is unsigned? Alberta does have some signed highways that are under local jurisdiction (i.e. Hwy 13A in Camrose).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Its the bypass to Ft Sask. anyone coming form the Natural Gas hot beds in NW Albert that head to Ft Sask Petrol Chem alley use that route. I tend to use it heading to GP when I leave St Albert.

If the route had shoulders I would like it more. There was plans to widen 37 from 44 right through to Ft Sask.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:27 PM

Standards for snow clearing on the highways are not consistent. Drove down to Calgary yesterday. The section from Inisfail to Didsbury Interchange was shit. 1pm and I swear no plows were out. The side highways seamed to be plowed though. But this section has always been bad for weather response.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Its the bypass to Ft Sask. anyone coming form the Natural Gas hot beds in NW Albert that head to Ft Sask Petrol Chem alley use that route. I tend to use it heading to GP when I leave St Albert.

If the route had shoulders I would like it more. There was plans to widen 37 from 44 right through to Ft Sask.
Does using Anthony Henday Drive then Yellowhead Highway then Highway 43 add substantially more distance? I’d think that people prefer to drive on divided highways.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
But this section has always been bad for weather response.
You got that right. I work with a guy (FIFO job) and he used to drive from Red Deer to Calgary to catch the plane to work. He switched to flying out of Edmonton because he was sick of the weather on this stretch of QEII.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Does using Anthony Henday Drive then Yellowhead Highway then Highway 43 add substantially more distance? I’d think that people prefer to drive on divided highways.
Most people do, if thy don't know the route well. a lot of trucks use it as a bypass. 43 to Yellowhead and Henday to 15 are all congested quite often.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Most people do, if thy don't know the route well. a lot of trucks use it as a bypass. 43 to Yellowhead and Henday to 15 are all congested quite often.
Now that explains the lights, stop signs and interchanges on a "seemingly innocent" rural highway a bit north of Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 10:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.ecowatch.com/wolverines-...1#rebelltitem1
Quote:
Your recent study focused on wolverines and the Trans-Canada Highway. What prompted this? What were you hoping to learn?
The final twinning [from two to four lanes] of the Trans-Canada Highway ends at the Continental Divide. This stretch of the highway enters subalpine areas home to wolverine and lynx — species that we knew very little about.
We knew in the lower 48 some 2-lane highways limited wolverine movement. Little was known about wolverines in the Canadian Rockies and much less about how a major 4-lane highway may affect movements and gene flow. So this was a unique opportunity given the number of interstate highways and expanding roads in the southern part of wolverine range.
Are we to conclude that even animal passes won’t cut it? Just thinking about worst-case scenario here.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
https://www.ecowatch.com/wolverines-...1#rebelltitem1

Are we to conclude that even animal passes won’t cut it? Just thinking about worst-case scenario here.
The same interview mentions that the crossing structures are helping. It's the areas that don't have them yet that are the problem. I think what the researcher meant is that male wolverines will cross a highway at-grade, but females won't try.

Quote:
Crossing structures have been built in the Canadian Rockies along the Trans-Canada Highway, which will help the mountain park wolverines. The critical piece of the puzzle is located in multi-use lands between the mountain national parks and the United States border (near Glacier and Waterton Lakes national parks).
There's tons of wildlife crossing structures going up in US now, following the Parks Canada model. They're definitely a success.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:08 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

My apologies. It turned out that I didn’t read till the end.

Anyway, glad to hear that the animal passages have proven successful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia