HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:18 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Weston just bought the Savoy Building at the corner of Houston and Soledad, which the proposed hotel would have wrapped around. Maybe now Weston will have the opportunity to expand his footprint further.
I'm betting Weston Urban had a competing interest in the AC Properties, probably will buy the whole lot of them.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
I'm betting Weston Urban had a competing interest in the AC Properties, probably will buy the whole lot of them.
I thought that Lynd had some interest in that property for development at one time. They certainly haven't felt the need to pull the trigger on any of their downtown holdings so far.

I did like design of the time shares project (Italian themed) so many years back where they included a courtyard with retail. The AC design seemed like a poor use of the property. I didn't mind the building's overall look

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 12:26 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I thought that Lynd had some interest in that property for development at one time. They certainly haven't felt the need to pull the trigger on any of their downtown holdings so far.

I did like design of the time shares project (Italian themed) so many years back where they included a courtyard with retail. The AC design seemed like a poor use of the property. I didn't mind the building's overall look
RIP Piazza San Lorenzo.

I was hyper-cynical even then...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
RIP Piazza San Lorenzo.

I was hyper-cynical even then...
I've always thought that properties along the river could be better utilized and provide a better experience if there were more plazas that could pull people in and make it more interesting with better interactions to the streets, but what is there hasn't worked as well because everyone wants to be next to the river. Also, I noticed one comment from the Floodgate HDRC review where someone thought the passageway was too big so they seem to advocate the closed off, hidden feeling. I think if they were to do them like New Orleans it would work.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I've always thought that properties along the river could be better utilized and provide a better experience if there were more plazas that could pull people in and make it more interesting with better interactions to the streets, but what is there hasn't worked as well because everyone wants to be next to the river. Also, I noticed one comment from the Floodgate HDRC review where someone thought the passageway was too big so they seem to advocate the closed off, hidden feeling. I think if they were to do them like New Orleans it would work.
Saw that quote too. I really like that passageway. Looks to have an nice open feel to it, and it linked to the river nicely, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:32 PM

del

Last edited by SAtown; Jul 7, 2016 at 3:39 PM. Reason: relevance

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 4:42 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
Lynd may pull the trigger on building something on the lot next to St Anthony they own, depending on what rates settle at in the new stuff going up (Cellars, etc). I doubt they would buy the Solo Serve stuff unless they had a partner in it.
Yes I remember going to a meeting about Travis Park a couple of years ago or so, some architect claimed he was designing a high rise for that lot you mentioned. As I have since heard absolutely nothing new.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:13 PM

Saw this article on Twitter this morning. I wonder who's eyeing this property now http://blog.mysanantonio.com/clockin...erve-property/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:00 PM
James

San Antonio will always have new hotel rooms, the market isn't swamped yet... unless it is getting there and I'm mistaken. Maybe they should have thought about having an apt component instead?

Anyway, I hope this new group builds something to match the Rand across the street. The Geekdom Events Center is shady at night with that empty solo serve building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillhippy210 View Post
Saw this article on Twitter this morning. I wonder who's eyeing this property now http://blog.mysanantonio.com/clockin...erve-property/

This is excellent development news!
And now that we have one of the best convention centers in the country, more hotel rooms will be needed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:04 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
San Antonio will always have new hotel rooms, the market isn't swamped yet... unless it is getting there and I'm mistaken. Maybe they should have thought about having an apt component instead?

Anyway, I hope this new group builds something to match the Rand across the street. The Geekdom Events Center is shady at night with that empty solo serve building.
The hotel market isn't exactly humming.

This article explained a lot to me. We've got PLENTY of hotel capacity relative to available marketing dollars.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ing-money.html

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:37 PM
Meh

It's too bad about this one. It was a nice project.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Here's the application they filed with the HDRC.

There are no elevations, but there is a stacking plan that shows the heights.

225 feet 10 inches to the mechanical penthouse.

206 feet 10 inches to the main roof.

194 feet 10 inches to the 20th floor. This is the highest occupied floor.

These are the heights as measured from street level. It should also be noted that the building technically has 21 floors, but the only 20 of them are above street level. One more is at the riverwalk level. The riverwalk level also adds 12 feet to the heights listed above.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:20 PM
James

*plays Katy Perry's The One That Got Away*

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
*plays Katy Perry's The One That Got Away*
I prefer April Smith's earlier song with the same title. She has a much better voice and clearly better song writing. Discover her.

Video Link

Here's another one with some funny lyrics. Intelligent funny... not slapstick.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:11 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The AC Hotel is back on, except it will not be a new construction tower, it will now be a renovation of the Riverview Towers, 111 Soledad St, into an AC Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

AC HOTEL

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 10:48 AM

More info from the Express News-

The hulking Riverview Towers building downtown could soon be transformed into a dual-brand hotel with a restaurant and a rooftop bar.

The Historic and Design Review Commission gave final approval Wednesday to a North Carolina company that plans to convert much of the 20-story building into an AC Hotel by Marriott and an Element Hotel by Westin.
Around 181 hotel rooms in the building will be under the AC brand and around 161 under the Westin brand. The hotel will feature a rooftop bar along with a restaurant and likely some retail space on the ground floor, Jalazo said.

The building has around 280,000 square feet of office space and the developer is keeping around 70,000 square feet of it as such, according to documents filed with the HDRC. It’s about 80 percent occupied, said Chuck Brown, Primera’s president.

Winston will consolidate some of the existing space and redevelop some areas as tenants move out.

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...d-14487221.php

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
More info from the Express News-

The hulking Riverview Towers building downtown could soon be transformed into a dual-brand hotel with a restaurant and a rooftop bar.

The Historic and Design Review Commission gave final approval Wednesday to a North Carolina company that plans to convert much of the 20-story building into an AC Hotel by Marriott and an Element Hotel by Westin.
Around 181 hotel rooms in the building will be under the AC brand and around 161 under the Westin brand. The hotel will feature a rooftop bar along with a restaurant and likely some retail space on the ground floor, Jalazo said.

The building has around 280,000 square feet of office space and the developer is keeping around 70,000 square feet of it as such, according to documents filed with the HDRC. It’s about 80 percent occupied, said Chuck Brown, Primera’s president.

Winston will consolidate some of the existing space and redevelop some areas as tenants move out.

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...d-14487221.php
From SABJ:

Two permits were pulled for the conversion of Riverview Towers at 111 Soledad St. into a 350-room, dual-branded hotel. A permit for $23 million in renovations was issued for the Element hotel portion. The other was listed for $20 million of work at the AC Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:35 AM

More info from SABJ:
By W. Scott Bailey
Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal

Winston Hotels LLC is advancing its plan to redevelop Riverside Towers in downtown San Antonio into a pair of hotels — complete with a rooftop bar — despite the novel coronavirus pandemic and the crushing blow it’s delivered to the travel industry.

The Raleigh, North Carolina-based company, which bought the aging center city office building before the pandemic, is proceeding with the renovation and estimates it will put $45 million into the project.

It’s a hefty investment considering the suffering hotel operators have endured since March.

“Everything hospitality related has been flipped upside down over the past several months,” Watts Winston, vice president of Winston Hotels, told me. “There are two hotels that will be built out.”

Those hotels will have staggered openings.

The first, the AC Hotel by Marriott, which will be built on floors 13 through 20, is expected to open in late spring or early summer 2021. A rooftop bar, to be built on floors 14 and 15 on the shorter side of the structure, is set to open at the same time.

The Element Hotel by Westin, which will take floors seven through 12, is slated to open in spring 2022.

Winston Hotels was engaged in preliminary work at Riverside Towers before the pandemic. That fact may have spared the project from a significant delay or its potential demise.

“The general sentiment in the industry was that anybody who had yet to begin pumped the breaks to reevaluate,” Winston said. “We were very fortunate, to be honest, to be able to continue.”

The hotels will be near the new Frost Tower and a redeveloped San Pedro Creek — not too far from historic Market Square or the University of Texas at San Antonio’s expanding downtown campus.

But the project is underway at a time when the Alamo City has experienced a steep decline in convention and leisure business, which has led to temporary hotel closures and a long list of layoffs.

Proceeding with such projects in the current economic climate involves risk.

“It’s a pretty sizable gamble,” CBRE Hotels Senior Vice President Michael Yu said.

“Will some of our assumptions that we had six or seven months ago be the same? Absolutely not,” Winston said.

But the company is committed to the project and confident that demand will return.

Plus, it’s sold on San Antonio.

“We’ve always wanted to be in San Antonio. It’s a great city,” Winston said. “From that perspective, there are no concerns or hesitation on our on end.”

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:56 PM
Meh

They posted the plans for this to the HDRC site today, and it shows the elevations for it. It shows it as 230 feet 6 inches to the top of the mechanical penthouse with 20 floors.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio