HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:07 PM

The State is going after Austin's Planning Commission. I would have thought pro-business Texas would have taken an opposite view:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...ssion-members/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 3:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

A rule is a rule.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 9:33 PM

WeWork won't allow employees to expense meals with meat in an effort to save the planet.

http://fortune.com/2018/07/13/wework...se-meals-meat/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 11:08 PM
Meh

Is there a steak delivery service in Austin? By the way, having someone's meals special delivered would be double the trips and even more if you have a bunch of other cow eating employees.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
A rule is a rule.
I agree, the trouble is, the way the rule is worded, one could argue we all have a stake in real estate. Even tenants. Real estate affects our pocket books mightily in positive and negative ways. One could argue NIMBYS have a big motivation to artificially keep supply low to increase the value of their homes, only to one day cash out, or pass it down to their heirs.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Is there a steak delivery service in Austin? By the way, having someone's meals special delivered would be double the trips and even more if you have a bunch of other cow eating employees.
Uber Eats might deliver steaks, give them a shot.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:51 AM

Talking Chinese Company builds 350ft tall skyscraper waterfall

From Kelsey Chung for Mail Online/The UK Daily Mail

Quote:
  • An artificial waterfall is seen cascading from the 397-foot tall Liebian Building in Guiyang, south-west China
  • Video and photos show a steady stream of water rippling in the sun, creating a rainbow in front of the building
  • Four large pumps are required to lift the water from a tank to the top of the fall and costs £89 per hour to run
  • The massive water column was built to be a tourist attraction, but many people say it's a waste of resources

Chinese company builds a 350ft tall artificial waterfall on the outside of a SKYSCRAPER

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:25 AM
World Traveler

Most elaborate fountains (of which there are many - and most can also be described as tacky) are only operated when the buildings are first completed. After that, they almost never turn them on, and the water that remains resembles a putting green over time...or just sits empty and filthy with rotten leaves, etc. I'll be surprised if this ages well.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:24 PM

Window-cleaners nightmare.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:41 PM

Waaaaaay off topic but I feel compelled to share this with my dog loving friends here.
As most of you know I lost one of my dogs back on Memorial day. I blame myself for not getting her to the vet sooner when she stopped being herself and eating. Last Tuesday after I noticed my Puggle not eating the Monday before, I took her to the vet and she is in liver failure. They put her on treatments but didn't think she would survive. The treatments however seem to be working, maybe because I didn't wait this time, so she may be ok, we'll see. A few weeks ago I saw some small lumps on my Chihuahua's belly which turned out to be tumors. She just had potentially life saving surgery today especially if they turn out to be cancerous. We'll know next week. If we waited, they probably would have spread into her chest cavity. The purpose of me mentioning this here so you, my friends, can do yourselves and your pets a favor by keeping a close eye on them, including frequent examinations at the house looking for lumps, sores, pale gums, yellowing skin, and noticing any changes in the behavior, bathroom and eating habits. If you see something out of the ordinary, take them to the vet. The sooner you do, the better the outcome could be. You may be saving their life. Its amazing how quickly they can take a turn for the worse and then it may be too late.

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:18 PM

Thanks for posting. I hope things turn out well for your pooches.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 8:24 PM
Meh

Sorry to hear, hopefully she'll recover. We took Leila, who is our oldest one, to the vet yesterday because her hair is falling out. She had an "episode" a few weeks ago. I had given my dogs a bath, plus Leila, who is my mom's dog. She hadn't been eating all that much, but she's usually pretty picky anyway. After her bath we noticed she was acting lethargic. All I used was shampoo, nothing weird. So, we've been cooking all kinds of stuff for her to eat. She's gained some weight now and is doing much better, and is more alert. The odd thing is her hair is falling out. She looks like a chupacabra. lol Anyway, they thought it might be a couple of things, which are probably not serious. They put on her some medicine to help with that, and took a urine specimen.

That waterfall is wild. You gotta hope the windows are sealed.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear, hopefully she'll recover. We took Leila, who is our oldest one, to the vet yesterday because her hair is falling out. She had an "episode" a few weeks ago. I had given my dogs a bath, plus Leila, who is my mom's dog. She hadn't been eating all that much, but she's usually pretty picky anyway. After her bath we noticed she was acting lethargic. All I used was shampoo, nothing weird. So, we've been cooking all kinds of stuff for her to eat. She's gained some weight now and is doing much better, and is more alert. The odd thing is her hair is falling out. She looks like a chupacabra. lol Anyway, they thought it might be a couple of things, which are probably not serious. They put on her some medicine to help with that, and took a urine specimen.

That waterfall is wild. You gotta hope the windows are sealed.
I am glad to hear you took her to the vet. My puggle would eat ANYTHING you put in front of her, but now I have I too have to cook for her. She seems to like boiled chicken but still not quite eating enough. Hope your moms dog is ok.
If we tried that waterfall here in Austin, given that the water would come from the lake it might be ok, but if it contains the lime like my water does, the water spots on all that glass would be a bear to clean. I think the idea is kind of cool, the cool breeze it would produce and the sound would help drown out city noise, but its actually quite ridiculous at the same time. A nice fountain in the plaza would make more sense, something I wish we had more of here.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:03 PM
Meh

Yeah, we were having her tested for Cushings disease since hair loss can be a sign of that. The test came back negative. I don't think the disease is fatal, just more of an annoyance since it makes her look strange. And a lack of hair could be bad for her skin.

If you're trying to get your dog to eat, and this goes for anyone, try scrambled eggs. Dogs love them and they're safe for dogs. You have to be careful what you feed your dogs. Some things can be toxic to them, even fatal. Chocolate can be fatal to them. Also grapes are bad for their kidneys and usually is fatal. Same goes for raisins. I'm sure you can find a list of what's bad for them. Eggs, though, are safe and loaded with protein that if they're skinny it'll help. You can also try cooking some liver for them. It'll stink up the house and it's kind of gross, but dogs love it. We also mix in plain yogurt into our dog's food. We just get the plain flavor and make sure it doesn't have too much sugar.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 7:15 PM
Meh

This is pretty cool. It's talking about the 8 original HEB grocery stores in Austin. 4 of them were in downtown.

http://austinfound.blog.statesman.co...-h-e-b-stores/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we were having her tested for Cushings disease since hair loss can be a sign of that. The test came back negative. I don't think the disease is fatal, just more of an annoyance since it makes her look strange. And a lack of hair could be bad for her skin.

If you're trying to get your dog to eat, and this goes for anyone, try scrambled eggs. Dogs love them and they're safe for dogs. You have to be careful what you feed your dogs. Some things can be toxic to them, even fatal. Chocolate can be fatal to them. Also grapes are bad for their kidneys and usually is fatal. Same goes for raisins. I'm sure you can find a list of what's bad for them. Eggs, though, are safe and loaded with protein that if they're skinny it'll help. You can also try cooking some liver for them. It'll stink up the house and it's kind of gross, but dogs love it. We also mix in plain yogurt into our dog's food. We just get the plain flavor and make sure it doesn't have too much sugar.
Thanks Kevin. I'm trying the scrambled eggs tonight. Btw, my chihua's tumors were BENIGN! Yah!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:15 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Driving up I35 from south of Austin provides an interesting view. The Austonian and Independent look like goal posts, and 35 is splitting them. Almost looks like a giant castle with a tower on each end, and it's filling in between them.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Going back through my PMs, and I see one from Dcbrickley in December saying he tried Tucci's Philly sub. I miss those things. Made me instantly hungry. I have been avoiding carbs/sugar since January 10th. Lost a bunch of weight and feeling better. Still going. Long haul.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 9:10 PM

I thought this was a neat visual of how the river through Chicago has changed over the years.
Link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 9:38 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Thanks Kevin. I'm trying the scrambled eggs tonight. Btw, my chihua's tumors were BENIGN! Yah!!
Glad to hear that. So, how did the scrambled eggs go?

Also, you might try cooking some white rice and mixing in canned dog food. Ours go nuts for it. You can also give them a boiled egg. Really, when they won't eat it's just a game of finding something they will to keep their strength up.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin