HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This would be a good location for a small mid rise apartment building.........
Indeed!

Or great valuable surface parking! ...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:

At least, maybe another Two or Three Story Parking Garage would be a nice asset in this part of town, eh?

Last edited by David_99; Aug 11, 2018 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
At least, maybe another Two or Three Story Parking Garage would be a nice asset in this part of town, eh?
Well i have a few friends in Real estate saying that 31 Church, 32 Alma, and the small parking lot behind 33 Church (None of them have peen put up for sale). They are under purchasing negotiation. So a large project might be in store if they are sold.

If not I'd be Ok with seeing something replacing those old buildings.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Well i have a few friends in Real estate saying that 31 Church, 32 Alma, and the small parking lot behind 33 Church (None of them have peen put up for sale). They are under purchasing negotiation. So a large project might be in store if they are sold.
If you're right on this, and these properties are combined with the other properties that we were already talking about that have likely been consolidated, then we get a potential development with the footprint of this:

This is a large enough parcel for something interesting to be developed on..........

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a new page on the Junction Urban Village website called "future projects"

https://www.junctionurbanvillage.com/whats-coming-next/

Quote:
The JUNCTION URBAN VILLAGE is now completing its first 2 phases of development and the future is exciting! Our first phases included the construction of the new Goodlife Fitness Center, the construction of the Ivan Rand Drive East street and significant work to convert existing electrical infrastructure into underground lines. The second phase also includes the construction of Tannery Place South Tower as well as a beautiful park area with pedestrian trials. The future of the Junction is also very promising with the proposed development of a Hilton-brand hotel, the new Tannery Place North Tower as well as a beautiful office/retail tower complex facing Main Street. If you want to part of our future urban projects, please contact us to discuss your ideas and needs!
They give the impression that Tannery Place South is imminent. They also indicate that the Hilton Home 2 Suites is still planned and make reference to Tannery Place North and the office building on the SW corner of Main/Vaughan Harvey.

Tannery Place North

Hilton Home 2 Suites

Proposed office building

I still think that unless they break ground on Tannery Place South within the next month, that construction of this building will be put off until next spring. This is a climatic reality due to the oncoming winter season. I don't think Tannery Place South will be open until 2020 (despite what they say). Tannery Place North and the Hilton Hotel will likely be completed in 2022 and 2024 (not sure which comes first). The office building likely won't happen until market conditions allow for it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:38 PM

|They refer to the hotel as "proposed." It thought it was a done deal, not a proposed deal.
Hopefully I'm just reading too much into this.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
|They refer to the hotel as "proposed." It thought it was a done deal, not a proposed deal.
Hopefully I'm just reading too much into this.
Well, they seem to have a brand therefore I think it's more than just a proposal. Timing is an issue however with the Hyatt Place under construction and the rumour of another hotel on Highfield where the "V" Hotel is currently. I'm sure they don't want to overload the market with hotel rooms without knowing how successful the events centre will be.

Until shovels are in the ground though, there is always the possibility that the developer could just walk away from the project. Since getting involved with this website, I have been surprised/appalled by just how many projects that have received approval and have had well developed plans which in the end, were never built.........

Just look at Valmond's many, many different proposals for the Harper Street site which have never come to fruition........

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:29 PM

It's because of Val that the word proposed always makes me nervous LOL.
Good point about the Tannery bunch using the actual brand name of the hotel. That's a very reliable sign that the project is on solid ground.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 11:33 AM

Corner of Alma and Queen this morning.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yay!! More surface parking!!!!

(just kidding)

Seriously though, the last thing the city needs is more vacant lots lying fallow for years waiting for a development opportunity. Given the location of this property (and it's presumed combination with other recently purchased adjacent properties) hopefully something is afoot...........

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:51 PM

Does Moncton have a bylaw in place that prevents landowners from tearing down downtown buildings to turn them into surface parking?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 1:02 PM

All four of those properties were protected by the heritage bylaw. If the bylaw was respected, then there must've been a reasonable attempt to sell them (on the market at fair value for a minimum period of time) before demolition was permitted. According to the bylaw, any replacement must respect the 'traditional style' of the original buildings, although the building at 83 Botsford (Victoria) is also a replacement of heritage homes, and its design is modern. I don't think the bylaw allows for parking lots, but anyone interested can contact the heritage board: https://www.moncton.ca/Government/De...nservation.htm

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Does Moncton have a bylaw in place that prevents landowners from tearing down downtown buildings to turn them into surface parking?
Unless the building has a heritage designation of some kind, I don't think so.

The city in fact has been quite eager to tear down poorly maintained old buildings being used as rooming houses, and various vacant properties occupied by vagrants.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Unless the building has a heritage designation of some kind, I don't think so.

The city in fact has been quite eager to tear down poorly maintained old buildings being used as rooming houses, and various vacant properties occupied by vagrants.
In Fredericton's downtown core you cannot put surface parking in place of a torn down building. It's a great bylaw to have.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:43 PM

In Moncton you can't have a surface parking lot without having a building on the same PID

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:48 AM

36-38 Alma this morning.

I'm very surprised the workers are not wearing masks. When they tore down my parents' 176 year old house 2 years ago there was so much dust the air filter in the excavator had to be cleaned part way through the job.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sad to see these buildings go. They didn't look in rough shape. They certainly would have been preferable to an empty lot. I really hope there is something in the works for these properties........

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonBoy View Post
In Moncton you can't have a surface parking lot without having a building on the same PID
except the Parking between 33 Church, and 120-122 Queen is on a separate PID

Also MonctonRad the outside was apparently the only thing that had some upkeep done according to previous residence. Previous owners just covered up a bunch of issues.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Corner of Alma & Queen at noontime today:

It's as if the houses were never there!!!

There is a rumour out there that the company that's consolidating these properties is Commercial Properties Limited (an Irving company).

http://www.commercial-properties.ca

Quote:
With over 1,000,000 square feet under management, our buildings are local landmarks and home to some of the largest and most well-respected companies in the region. We have a proven commitment to environmental responsibility, with our major buildings receiving certification under the BOMA BEST (Building Environmental Standards) program. We have also earned a reputation for the quality maintenance of our buildings and the responsive service we provide to our clients.
This gives me some hope that there might be something interesting destined for this site..........

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:46 AM

Not exactly the shot I was looking for, but decided to post it anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces