HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:25 AM

Ok, rentals make a lot more sense than condos.

On another note, the parking lot across from the Midtown Motel is for sale including both of the houses, which are really only good for demo if you ask me but they do seem to rent. Hopefully it won't end up in some apartment building because I've been parking there for about 10 years and I know how much we need parking in that area, both for government employees and the event center.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post

On another note, the parking lot across from the Midtown Motel is for sale including both of the houses, which are really only good for demo if you ask me but they do seem to rent. Hopefully it won't end up in some apartment building because I've been parking there for about 10 years and I know how much we need parking in that area, both for government employees and the event center.
Those house one is a Rooming house, and the other is either a Duplex, or Triplex but chances are with the location it's in it will be demolished, and an apartment builing will be built. knowing the area if the do keep parking it will be tenants only.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post

Great place for a parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:54 PM

Unsurprisingly, it's been quiet on the Harper St hotel front. Could this be the nth failed iteration? Maybe these job postings show promise:

https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Harper-Bui...edd445db5964c0

https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Harper-Bui...fe1b37733a7b7d

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Unsurprisingly, it's been quiet on the Harper St hotel front. Could this be the nth failed iteration? Maybe these job postings show promise:

This could be positive news because the only projects they have talked about since there last Project (25 Dominion) has been the Hotel on Main Street. Unless there planing on building another apartment building on the rest of the land that is known as 25 Dominion of course.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post

Good pickup Pierre!

While not necessarily a smoking gun for shovels in the ground, this is pretty solid evidence that Valmond is moving on to the next step in his Harper Street hotel project

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 10:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Quote:
As a community partner and to encourage safe and legal pedestrian mobility to the new Events Centre and Plaza, CN will participate with the City of Moncton in the embellishment of the CN subway overpass structure to help encourage safety. Trespassing on railway property is illegal and dangerous and is never an acceptable shortcut. The work on the overpass will take place between April 30th and May 4th, weather permitting.
I'm not entirely sure what they mean by "embellishment", but it's clear that they are concerned about people trespassing on railway property to get to the new events centre from the (non booted) parking areas south of Main Street (whichever ones they are)............

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:43 PM

I still don't understand the issue with building a pedway over the tracks directly to the Events Centre. It would help alleviate people's concern with having to walk too far from southside lots.
Is CN saying No and playing hardball to get something out of it, are they emphatically and absolutely refusing to allow it, or is City of Moncton simply not interested in it?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not entirely sure what they mean by "embellishment"...
A couple more lights to reduce that stabby/rapey vibe through the subway, I assume.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
A couple more lights to reduce that stabby/rapey vibe through the subway, I assume.
Maybe paint a few happy faces and slap some lipstick on it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Maybe paint a few happy faces and slap some lipstick on it.
Just paint the whole thing pink..!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just paint the whole thing pink..!
bEEN there. that has been tried before, leave the pink in the can. Painted murals were inside the subway aat least until the early 80's. Main would be blocked a Sat in May and artists/painters would paint large pictures. I miss that.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
bEEN there. that has been tried before, leave the pink in the can. Painted murals were inside the subway aat least until the early 80's. Main would be blocked a Sat in May and artists/painters would paint large pictures. I miss that.
The 80's or the artist Grafiti?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
I still don't understand the issue with building a pedway over the tracks directly to the Events Centre. It would help alleviate people's concern with having to walk too far from southside lots.
Is CN saying No and playing hardball to get something out of it, are they emphatically and absolutely refusing to allow it, or is City of Moncton simply not interested in it?
They may be afraid of disburbing more of that contaminated land. Who knows what heavy metals it might stir up?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Perhaps coming to Main Street in Moncton (looking for local franchisees)

Pizza Girls/Katch Seafood in the old Burrito Jax location:

https://www.facebook.com/katchseafoo...wA5gno&fref=nf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
Cost in relation to what development is on the other side of the pedway. If more development occurs on that side of tracks (whatever that would be) then a pedway could be justified but not just as a link to parking.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Perhaps coming to Main Street in Moncton (looking for local franchisees)

Pizza Girls/Katch Seafood in the old Burrito Jax location:

https://www.facebook.com/katchseafoo...wA5gno&fref=nf

It's odd because they already had a Pizza Girls in Dontown Moncton, and it did not do all that well last time. Maybe they will do better with a Katch Seafood mixed in though. The original Moncton Pizza Girl location was where Go Japan is curently, and was there before the previous tenant A1 Pizza That just seemed to be a rebranded Pizza Girls

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 11:52 PM

Couldnt snap a photo but noticed the apartment at 1111 Main is advertising a "your restaurant here" add on to their building. Makes sense with the location being directly across from the events centre. I expect Killam will put some money into that building to make it fit closer with the modern buildings around it & drive up rent prices.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, on CBC Radio this morning, Mayor Arnold said that the plans for the Subway were to patch and paint it and install new LED lighting.

She left open the possibility of painting the Subway pink, as an homage to the garish appearance of the railway overpass in the 1970s. Unfortunately, a poll currently underway on CBC Information Morning is running about 75% in favour of painting the Subway pink.........

I remember the 70s well. The entire decade was a "lost" decade which should be thrown into the dustbin of history. We should not be honouring this time period in any way by "embellishing" our beloved rail overpass with such a revolting colour. We must stamp out this travesty before it's too late!!!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:27 PM

Simple solution: inform the Susan G. Komen foundation of the proposed plan and let their lawsuits dissuade the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces