HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I used to support the monarchy up until a year or two ago but the continuous lecturing of Harry and William about climate change while they jet set on private planes and helicopters and Meghan Markle's snobbery and snowflake millennial self pity and love for the spotlight is nauseating. After the Queen dies there is very little that is endearing left of the Royal family and has no real value just giant costs for them and their security details when they travel.

Couldn't have said it better. I was born in the UK and the sooner Canada can rid itself of these shackles of the monarchy the better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We're ready.

Newfoundland and Labrador government prepares for Queen's eventual death

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...-death-378726/
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will be provided with black ribbons and pins to wear during the mourning period, which will last 10 days after the Queen dies.

I can't see that being too popular in most of Canada. I can't imagine wearing a ribbon/pin on coats etc for 10 days after the Queen dies etc.

When the Queen mother died, flags were at 1/2 mast for days and I had no idea that was the reason for them.....she was a fine lady, but honestly she hadn't been queen for almost 50 years etc when she died.

When the Queen does die, don't turn on CBC Newsworld, CNN, etc for days. It will be relentless news reels of past trips/junkets/ceremonies played repeatedly.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will be provided with black ribbons and pins to wear during the mourning period, which will last 10 days after the Queen dies.

I can't see that being too popular in most of Canada. I can't imagine wearing a ribbon/pin on coats etc for 10 days after the Queen dies etc.

When the Queen mother died, flags were at 1/2 mast for days and I had no idea that was the reason for them.....she was a fine lady, but honestly she hadn't been queen for almost 50 years etc when she died.

When the Queen does die, don't turn on CBC Newsworld, CNN, etc for days. It will be relentless news reels of past trips/junkets/ceremonies played repeatedly.
I imagine all networks will "tone it down" for the official mourning period.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
We could have a President and a PM ....
I'd rather that term remain Governor General. Too much traitorous republicanism in the term President.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I'd rather that term remain Governor General. Too much traitorous republicanism in the term President.
OK, a President with the title "Governor General" and a PM then.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Do we actually still have someone ruling over us?
Can you think of a country that doesn't have a someone ruling over it?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:40 AM

would we get charles on the money or still her?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:52 AM
I am a typical

Still her, the reigning monarch will remain in that role until her death. However, they've already got an obverse with Charles' portrait for the coins ready to go so the transition happens fairly swiftly. The last time there was a transition, they didn't start issuing coinage with the Queen's image on it until over a year and a half after her reign. Similar for when King George VI took over in 1936. The redesign of the $20 bill in Canada won't happen until after the Queen dies, and apparently as the UK shifts to polymer, they've already got versions of each note with Charles on them ready to go.

He likely won't use the name King Charles (look up the previous two to get a sense of why), his full name is Charles Phillip Arthur George. He might go with Phillip II to honour his father (the first King Phillip was monarch of Spain and ruled briefly prior to Elizabeth I's reign), or King George VII to honour his grandfather. King Arthur, due to the mythology of the name, is highly unlikely. From what I've seen, King George VII is the most likely title he will use. William will likely rule as King William IV.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:00 AM
Registered Drug User

I think the last time I thought about a British royal was ages ago when, in an idle moment, my eyes rested for a moment on a picture of one of them on a magazine stand while waiting in line at the drug store.

Couldn't care less about them, though in principle I'm against royalty as an outdated anachronism. So what do I think?

Meh. I don't see the point in tipping over the apple cart. We're not revolutionaries, and in this day and age this is not a revolutionary cause anyway.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post

I will be looking forward to the federal holiday on the day of the Queen's funeral. I will be able to sleep in!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:48 AM

I think the next monarch should be King William. There's a lot of talk that because Charles isn't popular and Prince William is, that when the Queen passes away, it could go directly to him instead of Prince Charles. It would make the monarchy more popular and avoid the issues associated with Charles

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:00 PM

Charles is also quite old himself. He could be approaching 80 by the time he becomes king - good reason to shift it right to William, who will likely still be in his 40’s.

That said, I just don’t see Charles abdicating. He has waited his whole life to be king and I doubt he is going to just give it up.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Is there any way to have the Crown "skip" Charles that doesn't involve he himself making that decision? I don't believe so.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past.
Not at all. It's a legal reality - of today.

Canada is part of the Commonwealth and is a "Commonweath realm" which has as its sovereign Queen Elizabeth II and her successors.

It's as official and "real time" as it gets.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is there any way to have the Crown "skip" Charles that doesn't involve he himself making that decision? I don't believe so.
I doubt that abdication has ever entered the conversation. Uncle Edward had severely poisoned that option and the house of Windsor will never allow that mess to happen again. The "Crown" as a symbol of stability and continuity is strictly wedded to protocol and the rights of succession. The Queen will retain the throne until she dies, then Charles (or whatever name he decides to use) then William.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:02 PM

The suggestion of the crown "skipping" Charles is and has always been ridiculous. He hasn't done anything to make him unworthy of the crown and they're not going to skip an heir just because his son is more popular. This is the head of state of multiple countries, not TMZ.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

At least Charles reign will be short. It'd have to be? I do hope Camilla is made at least Princess Consort. I'm comfortable with her being Queen even, though she seems to have not won over the British fully yet.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
The suggestion of the crown "skipping" Charles is and has always been ridiculous. He hasn't done anything to make him unworthy of the crown and they're not going to skip an heir just because his son is more popular. This is the head of state of multiple countries, not TMZ.
Exactly. I've always found the talk about this (as something that might seriously be considered) to be totally stupid.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:10 PM

edit

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Britain's Parliament can, akaik, decide who will be Monarch. I can imagine any reason why they'd tinker with the existing line of succession, however. Charle's "issues" and popularity are irrelevant, istm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada