HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Winnipeg Have It's Own Specific SSP: Local within the Man./Sask. Forum?
Yes - Winnipeg only specific thread. 49 56.98%
No 37 43.02%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:43 PM

^^ Their are some other examples of the format you speak of.

San Antonio
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=447

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
To be honest. I'd be happy with one thread.

It totally kills the discussion to break everything out. It's not about finding information. It's a discussion. Right now Winnipeg's is like a chat among friends on a few topics. When every little thought gets its own section/thread it kills the flow and dialogue. Those local forums are like a spreadsheet for doing research. Winnipeg has a good thing going. We have for years. Just leave it. It works well. I see no benefit.
Me neither. It will turn into a bunch of bulletin boards with narrow topics and no conversation. The forum used to be about discussion -- I wouldn't want to see it converted into an over-organized Wikipedia.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:01 PM

The only way that this is fair is if three subforums are created: Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:33 PM
BANNED

90% of the threads are Winnipeg related so I don't see the big fuss. It will look the same. Just without the three Saskatchewan topics going on. I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 6:05 PM

Sure, why not?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 9:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
The only way that this is fair is if three subforums are created: Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina.
Saskatoon and Regina only account for a small percentage of conversation in this forum and do not merit their own sections at this point. Winnipeg dominates by a wide margin which is why the suggestion is being made.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 10:53 PM
surely you agree with me

Yeah. If change is needed for the sake of change. At least leave a thread like 'Winnipeg Construction' so there can be a place for the free flowing discussion that makes this forum interesting.

I don't get why we need a topic for every development. There are not enough to warrant that in my opinion, but I get that people want to feel as important as everywhere else and for whatever reason dividing it up appears to do that for some people.

I hope it doesn't ruin a good forum for no perceptible reason.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Yeah. If change is needed for the sake of change. At least leave a thread like 'Winnipeg Construction' so there can be a place for the free flowing discussion that makes this forum interesting.
It shouldn't be an SSP local, but rather a sub forum like there is for Edmonton. That would be the best, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:41 PM

^ 2 options available if a change is decided upon.

Examples: Vancouver/Calgary layout or Edmonton/San Antonio layout. Vid did mention a link with only construction/development separated for the City in question. Interesting suggestion.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
It shouldn't be an SSP local, but rather a sub forum like there is for Edmonton. That would be the best, IMO.
I agree with you but this is probably the closest thing we are going to get for a while long while. Also to all the people that think the forums will become to much strict we just want the Winnipeg forums separated from Saskatchewan's nothing else.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovell007 View Post
Also to all the people that think the forums will become to much strict we just want the Winnipeg forums separated from Saskatchewan's nothing else.
Yeah, this is all I thought it was about -- just one extra level of organization to keep the Winnipeg threads separate from the Regina/Saskatoon threads. No change to the threads themselves.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:30 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
There is already. It's called the the Manitoba & Saskatchewan forum.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:33 AM
I am a typical

We could easily avoid splitting altogether if we used discussion icons for different cities, similar to what they do in the general construction section of the forum.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 2:43 PM
Aspiring.

if it goes ahead please make it Edmonton-style.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:10 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^ I agree with the Edmonton style. Vancouver's is just a mish mash.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:50 PM

If we "hide" the Winnipeg topics into their own section what is left will be a relatively inactive forum. As much as Winnipeg having its own section makes sense I think we need to keep the status quo to help prop up the other areas.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote
90% of the threads are Winnipeg related so I don't see the big fuss. It will look the same. Just without the three Saskatchewan topics going on. I'm all for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Saskatoon and Regina only account for a small percentage of conversation in this forum and do not merit their own sections at this point. Winnipeg dominates by a wide margin which is why the suggestion is being made.
If you took the time to look at this forum's thread listing and went through top 20 threads on it right now, there are 11 Winnipeg threads, 7 Saskatchewan threads, a general mixed thread and this thread.

I'm not sure how 55% suddenly turned into 90%.

And I never said giving three seperate subforums was a good idea, all I said is that's how it would be fair, given the three major cities within this region. I voted No to the poll because the volume of threads in this section doesn't deserve subforums.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 9:34 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't care what happens, but being curious I just counted this forum and 39 of 50 threads on this page are Winnipeg related.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 9:37 PM

Just leave it. No reason to change. I enjoy seeing whats happening elsewhere, not just in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:19 PM

Poll has been Closed.

Decision on any changes to the format is under review by website administration.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan