HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted May 13, 2011, 4:44 PM
mooke mooke is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Frenchway Moving??

Can anyone confirm this? I heard this morning that the Frenchway on Academy is moving it's restaurant into J Foxes and the bakery portion would be moving into Bread and Circuses on Lilac?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:58 PM
BKB BKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I heard this morning that the Frenchway on Academy is moving it's restaurant into J Foxes and the bakery portion would be moving into Bread and Circuses on Lilac?
They are moving to the unit formerly occupied by J.Foxes. Should be open in early June. Not sure about the Bread and Circuses location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,451
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Poutine shop to open in Exchange

By: Staff Writer

Posted: 05/14/2011 1:00 AM


A chain of gourmet poutine shops called Smoke's Poutinerie sounds like something the comedians at This Hour Has 22 Minutes might dream up.

But it's real.

Ryan Smolkin started it two years ago and the first outlet in Western Canada is opening soon at the end of Albert Street facing onto Old Market Square.

[...]

Read more here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...121825764.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted May 14, 2011, 9:25 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
They are moving to the unit formerly occupied by J.Foxes. Should be open in early June. Not sure about the Bread and Circuses location.
What happened to J. Foxes??? I was hoping to try that place...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:16 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 2,229
Smokes poutinerie opening date announced (missing from the article as far as I can tell)

From twitter:
poutinerie:
*Special OPENING DAY Announcement* SMOKE'S POUTINERIE WINNIPEG will be opening Friday, May 20th, 2011 @131 Albert... http://fb.me/Ld0BW0jZ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:37 PM
Enjoy03 Enjoy03 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 28
Wow, originally, they were going to open on the 16th and then the 18th. Now they're opening on the 20th? I just want my poutine!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 8:05 PM
BubberMiley BubberMiley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I heard this morning that the Frenchway on Academy is moving it's restaurant into J Foxes and the bakery portion would be moving into Bread and Circuses on Lilac?
Yes, as I understand, they made an offer on Bread & Circuses. JFoxes came up so they decided to make an offer on that one too. Then both offers were accepted, so they're going to try to run both.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 8:30 PM
mooke mooke is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Yes, as I understand, they made an offer on Bread & Circuses. JFoxes came up so they decided to make an offer on that one too. Then both offers were accepted, so they're going to try to run both.
Sound good too me. B & C has been on the decline for years now, about time they closed the doors and brought some new life into that building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 11:15 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,548
I find it interesting that I now know at least 3 other people that use both mapleleafweb and skyscraperpage. Sorry, way off topic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:32 AM
SKYSTHELIMIT SKYSTHELIMIT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy03 View Post
Wow, originally, they were going to open on the 16th and then the 18th. Now they're opening on the 20th? I just want my poutine!
Now pushed to May 30.
__________________
West Coastin'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:29 AM
LilZebra's Avatar
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Spiritual
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Posts: 2,663
The hot dog restaurant that was on Corydon Ave. and didn't get much business - Dingo Dogs, is now in the Johnston Terminal at The Forks.
__________________
Visit LilZebra.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 4:23 AM
Joshy Joshy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Now pushed to May 30.
Actually, Smokes Poutine opened last Friday, based on what I heard on the radio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:50 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Actually, Smokes Poutine opened last Friday, based on what I heard on the radio.
Their facebook page says it was pushed to the 30th.

"Hey Winnipeggers! Unfortunately because of some unforseen delays, Smoke's Poutinerie Winnipeg will not be opening until MON MAY 30th! Everyone is working extremely hard to open the restaurant by that day for all the Smoke's Poutinerie Fans!

We would like to THANK YOU for all your patience and support."


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smokes...12693475409611
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:09 PM
flatlander's Avatar
flatlander flatlander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,337
Was Dingo Dogs a WOW franchise? I thought i heard it was.

No Smokes yet. Sign in the door says the 30th.
__________________
For best results play at maximum volume.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 9:37 PM
SKYSTHELIMIT SKYSTHELIMIT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Was Dingo Dogs a WOW franchise? I thought i heard it was.

No Smokes yet. Sign in the door says the 30th.
Yes. Tried a few times not bad. But the wall of different kinds of soda was pretty cool.
__________________
West Coastin'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,451
Yet another article in today's Free Press about the proposed Chipman/Longboat development across from the MTS Centre.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...122645258.html

I am concerned that the Wagon Wheel restaurant will be demolished. Today's paper mentioned that the Norlyn Building was already owned by Longboat (along with several other bldgs). This is the building that houses the Wagon Wheel.

Anyone heard anything about the future of the Wagon Wheel? I can't imagine that they would move elsewhere. Just when you thought the place was back, it could be lost again!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:13 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yet another article in today's Free Press about the proposed Chipman/Longboat development across from the MTS Centre.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...122645258.html

I am concerned that the Wagon Wheel restaurant will be demolished. Today's paper mentioned that the Norlyn Building was already owned by Longboat (along with several other bldgs). This is the building that houses the Wagon Wheel.

Anyone heard anything about the future of the Wagon Wheel? I can't imagine that they would move elsewhere. Just when you thought the place was back, it could be lost again!
The Wagon Wheel is a dilapidated dump that makes mediocre clubhouses served by surly staff.

I would rather see a successful new development than save the Wagon Wheel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:22 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,732
surly? never had that when I've gone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:29 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The Wagon Wheel is a dilapidated dump that makes mediocre clubhouses served by surly staff.
That's part of its charm!

Seriously, I'm concerned that a well established iconic business in downtown Winnipeg is being potentially displaced. Like it or not, it is one of the few neighbourhood diners serving affordable meals to locals in the area. Lots of elderly folks from the area eat here, as well as downtown office workers and hipster types. Yeah, it's no Moxies, but that is actually its appeal (at least to me).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:33 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,451
While we're on the subject, isn't there an Ethiopian restaurant in the Alabama Bldg (also owned by Longboat) that is supposed to be quite good? I can't recall the name. I hope they continue to operate in the area after their building is demolished.

I'm not saying this development won't be good for downtown, but I'd like to see local small business continue to have a place in downtown Winnipeg. Small mom & pop restaurants are a part of the downtown urban fabric and I'd like to see more of them, not less.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.