HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:10 PM
BANNED

More food for thought. Why do certain chiefs and band councilors still get away with this shit, because they can!

PEGUIS PAY: What councillors were paid

Money earned on reserve by status Indians is exempt from income taxes

Council member Total pay Taxable equivalent

Chief Glenn Hudson $174,230 $295,124

Coun. Darlene Bird $220,366 $381,198

Coun. Glen Cochrane $213,683 $368,730

Coun. Glennis Sutherland $251,747 $439,745

Coun. Mary Sutherland $185,486 $316,124

Average earnings of a Peguis resident 15 years and older who worked full time all year (2005): $29,915

-- Source: Canadian Taxpayers Federation, Statistics Canada 2006 Census

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 7:06 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
Despite being frustrated, I strongly disagree with a statement that suggests giving billions of dollars is doing nothing - that is a complete insult.
To whom? There are countless examples in this country of large sums of money being given to people by all levels of government and of those monies not resulting in anything beneficial for anyone except the direct recipient of the money. (In the case of reserves, the beneficiary is their despotic leadership.) Not all reserves have this bad leadership, but most do, and that has to change. It will be our laws that change it, not theirs. (They don't have any, and can't make any. We don't let them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
God help this country if we open up the wrong talks. We could literally lose the entire country. Without the Crown, there are no treaties, and without the treaties, there is very little of Canada left for the Crown.
A lot of people don't understand how much our sovereignty hinges on those treaties. Without them, we're pretty much an illegal nation. Nunavut is essentially only part of Canada because the Inuit realize the benefits of being part of Canada. (Primarily, security. Better Canadian than Russian, right?) Without the treaties and the crown, this country will become an international free-for-all land grab.

We have to renegotiate the treaties to improve them for both sides, not abolish them and start over.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 10:35 PM

Great logic, because there are countless examples of wasted tax dollars - what's another 10 billion? Just an endless pit of money.

Gee, why should a taxpayer be insulted by this way of thinking.

Our sovereignty relies on treaties....I'm starting to think that the powers that be back then had absolutely no idea what problems they were creating for future generations.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 1:32 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Great logic, because there are countless examples of wasted tax dollars - what's another 10 billion? Just an endless pit of money.

Gee, why should a taxpayer be insulted by this way of thinking.
I'm not arguing that the other wasteful things should continue by my omission. I'm just saying that giving money to people and expecting them to solve their problems without and real framework for actually solving those problems is just going to lead to even more problems. (To which we will no doubt respond by giving them more money with few strings attached, thus creating more problems with the problems created by our problems.) I'm not saying these payouts should continue. I'm saying they and all over wasteful spending should be re-examined, so that they can be improved or, if that isn't possible, eliminated. Giving money to aboriginal people doesn't have to be an endless pit of no results. It is only like that because we let it be like that.

Quote:
Our sovereignty relies on treaties....I'm starting to think that the powers that be back then had absolutely no idea what problems they were creating for future generations.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY IT!! They did not/could not/would not foresee the amazingly disastrous effects of residential schools and the Indian Act would have on aboriginal people as a whole, or how the ramifications of those bad decisions would impact all Canadians in the future. These laws, treaties and customs were created in and for a moment that no longer exists, and we have to fix this. It's going to take time and cost money, but we'll be better for it when it is done.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 1:02 PM

Just to clarify....1) I do not think throwing money at a problem will solve it and 2) I'm now thinking that we would be better off now had there been some type of historical battle fought and won instead of agreeing to any treaties.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 3:45 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Just to clarify....1) I do not think throwing money at a problem will solve it and 2) I'm now thinking that we would be better off now had there been some type of historical battle fought and won instead of agreeing to any treaties.
Careful now

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 4:05 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
I'm now thinking that we would be better off now had there been some type of historical battle fought and won instead of agreeing to any treaties.

That's not the way that the British who would become Canadians ever really went about things. Even after winning in Quebec, the British became very accomodating, for better or worse.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:12 PM
I am a typical

Did the British really fight over any colony other than the American ones while they were out conquering the world? I'm pretty sure they just *took* most of Africa, south Asia and Australia.

The aboriginals didn't really defend themselves. They had a society that was very accommodating to new comers, and most were eager to share the land with the white people. They didn't expect it would be taken away from them, though. (Their culture lacked the concept of owning things.) They started fighting back when they realized they got fucked over but it was too little too late.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:59 PM

I'm not entirely convinced that this country and it's people would be any worse off now had there been battles fought instead of negotiating and signing treaties.

For some brilliant person (or group of brilliant people) to put in writing that the government of this country will forever be responsible to take care of Aboriginal people is just plain stupid. In my opinion - you can thank that way of thinking for the whole residential school stupidity. And then people wonder why there is a big sense of entitlement that is broadcast from the Aboriginal leadership downward - the government 'has' to take care of them.

The European way of life was brought to this land and their way of life was going to drastically change the way things were going in this land whether or not the Aboriginal people signed any treaty - you can bet on that.

Since we all know history (generally speaking, since I am no history expert..) and we all know that history has impacted on the social issues of some Aboriginal people which in turn has impacted on society in general...why is it some Aboriginal people have become exceedingly successful or just plain successful. Maybe it is because they are like everyone else - some can overcome and some can't. Big surprise.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

there was a whole bunch of factors at play back then amarica was driving the natives out by force and they came here to escape thus our first refugees also u had ottowa doing its crap and not realy knowing the situtation and forcing forcing change so fast and not puting checks and balances in to stop the ripping off of the native peoples

majority of the treaties in canada were signed after the british north amarica act was signed in 1867

more treaty maps located here http://www.manitobachiefs.com/multim.../maps/maps.htm

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Proving there is no bigger a-hole than Terry Nelson in Manitoba:

Protesters plan to greet Olympic torch
First Nation to draw attention to slain, missing women

By: Carol Sanders

Terry Nelson (MIKE APORIUS/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

The Olympic torch will be welcomed with the usual hoopla and fanfare when it arrives in Manitoba next week, but when it crosses into Treaty One territory on Tuesday, it will face a stern reminder of Canada's missing and murdered indigenous women.

"Our intention, basically, is to drive home this message what's been happening in Canada and to give information out," said Roseau River Anishnabe First Nation Chief Terry Nelson.

"I am inviting a lot of the families of murdered and missing women to be standing on the road with pictures of them," he said by phone Wednesday.

Treaty One territory begins in eastern Manitoba where the Whitemouth River crosses the Trans-Canada Highway, about two kilometres east of where Highway 11 crosses the Trans-Canada.

"People need to be reminded that these women were not treated with the same respect... You look at the response to the death of one white woman on the road. It's not the same thing," Nelson said.

Nelson expects at least two other chiefs from the treaty area to take part in the event near the eastern boundary of their territory.

The Roseau River chief was in Ottawa earlier this month for a special chiefs' assembly. He was among several native leaders who warned Indian Affairs Minister Chuck Strahl the year ahead could see blockades and other forms of economic disruption until more money and support are provided for native education.

On Wednesday, Nelson said there are no plans to trip up any of the torch bearers or disrupt any other community celebrating the arrival of the Olympic flame in Manitoba next week.

"We don't want to interrupt someone else's event," said Nelson, who has orchestrated blockades and demonstrations over the years.

"Out of every protest we've been involved in, sometimes we've made white people late for lunch."

The Olympic torch leaves Treaty One territory -- which covers close to 43,250 square kilometres -- on Jan. 8 near Brandon.

First Nations should welcome Olympic athletes from around the world, but "we cannot allow those athletes to go home believing that Canada is a bastion of human rights," Nelson said in a news release. "We as indigenous people are not terrorists. There is no list of over 500 murdered and missing white women killed by indigenous men, there is however a list of over 500 murdered and missing indigenous women, most of those women were killed by white men. In Vancouver where the Olympics will be headquartered, 49 women were killed, murdered, terrorized and desecrated after death by one white man. Police failed to take the murders seriously because the murdered (mostly indigenous women) were considered by police to be the lowest of the low."

In a statement issued Wednesday, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs said the torch run and the Olympics are about "peace and unity," and more First Nations are involved than ever.

"This Olympics, First Nations are hosting the torch run from one end of the country to another," Grand Chief Ron Evans said in a statement.

"As Grand Chief, I will have the honour of bearing the torch, along with others on Jan 7."

Evans said games traditionally played an important role in uniting First Nations.

"The Olympics gives us a forum to showcase our talents, our skills and our diplomacy on an international stage. Games in First Nations' history went beyond simple sports competition.

"They have always been key to the holistic development of individuals and a crucial element to ensure the health and development of our communities," Evans said.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Million-dollar babies should get salary cap

By: Colleen Simard

Well, the news of the week is Peguis Chief Glenn Hudson is overpaid.

Something about this story seemed oddly familiar. Oh yeah, back on Feb. 11, 2008, I wrote about Louis Stevenson -- the previous chief of Peguis -- being overpaid.

Stevenson's salary during his last year in office was about $240,000, plus $113,000 in travel expenses. Now his successor, Glenn Hudson, has paid himself $174,000, not including $32,000 in travel and other expenses. Wait -- it gets better.

His four councillors got paid an astounding $206,000 to $310,000 each. All totalled, it was about $1 million in salaries for five people, all tax-free. Talk about million-dollar babies. You really have to start questioning when things like this happen.

Not all chiefs pay themselves these kinds of huge salaries, but Indian and Northern Affairs Canada needs to set mandatory standards for chief and councillor salaries so this doesn't happen anymore. If they can put a cap on education and housing funding surely they can put a cap on salaries, too.

Hudson defended his salary on several newscasts throughout the week, explaining he has an engineering degree and settled the $190-million Peguis land entitlement deal earlier this year. But Hudson forgets that same land settlement took several decades to wrangle and was something for which former chief Stevenson used to take credit.

Something tells me Hudson is confused. He thinks his salary should be based on performance, like he's the CEO of a corporation. However, being a chief is like being any other public servant -- be it a mayor, an MLA or an MP. You represent the people, and you serve their best interest, not your own.

There should be set standards across the board, otherwise someone will always take advantage of the situation.

Hudson explained he and his council already have agreed to cap salaries, and he's going to be paid $170,000 this year, tax-free. I wonder if that includes other expenses. Hmm. Well, I think that's still too high for someone who represents about 8,600 people, many of whom lack a good quality of life.

It's time for INAC to step in.

Whistleblower Phyllis Sutherland deserves a medal. I'm told she's lost her job on the reserve. It's really too bad, because it's part of the problem that keeps our people from speaking out.

A friend of mine dropped off some photocopies of Sutherland's paperwork to sift through. I found the documents quite interesting.

Troubling issue No. 1 is that Sutherland had complained to INAC several times over the last year. She'd received a response from an INAC representative in a letter dated Nov. 27, after several months of waiting. The INAC staffer told her "INAC has no authority over First Nations staff... I encourage you to make your concerns known to your council."

Troubling issue No. 2 is that included with those financials were copies of monthly business account statements of a certain First Nations organization, of which Glenn Hudson is a board member. It looks like in two months Hudson received several cheques totalling about $4,600 for "travel and honoraria." Another document points out Hudson has a broad portfolio; he's an executive on eight different First Nations organizations.

Does this mean he gets travel and honoraria for all of these positions, in addition to his pay as Peguis chief? You do the math.

I know from Facebook many people have already voiced their concerns, but it's time for every voting-age Peguis citizen to wake up and smell the overspending.

How many houses could half of that million dollars have built or fixed? How many people could have attended college, trade school or university? How many youth or senior needs could have been helped with that money?

Maybe come election time the people who matter most -- Peguis citizens -- will understand the money their leadership spent on salaries could have been better spent on improving their homes and lives instead. May your memories be strong, and may you hold your leaders accountable.

Here's to democracy in Indian country.

Colleen Simard is the publisher of Urban NDN (www.urbandnn.com).

colleen.simard@gmail.com

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Remains of second victim found in burned-out Shamattawa home

By: Staff Writer

WINNIPEG -- A second body has been found in the rubble left behind by a fire Saturday that destroyed a home on the Shamattawa First Nation, RCMP said this morning.

The identity of the person is unknown, and no reports of a missing person have been filed with the RCMP.

On Tuesday, RCMP reported the discovery of a first body in the fire-charred rubble. It's believed the victim might be an 11-year-old boy who is missing in the community.

However, RCMP say the identity of the deceased, while suspected, cannot be confirmed an autopsy can be completed.

The fire actually took place Saturday about 4 a.m., and RCMP tried but could not contact the local fire department.

The search through the structure continues today. RCMP and the Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner are flying additional resources today to assist with the investigation.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. The house burned to the ground and was a total loss.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 2:23 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Proving there is no bigger a-hole than Terry Nelson in Manitoba:

Protesters plan to greet Olympic torch
First Nation to draw attention to slain, missing women

.. snip...
And that is an understatement.

I remember a few years back, when Terry Nelson stated on national television:
"... There are only two ways of dealing with the white man. One, either you pick up a gun, or you stand between the white man and his money"
He said this when he was endorsing and organizing insurrection and economic terrorism against Canada, back in '07.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...e_anger_070515

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and thats why the native peoples are bleeped up they alow their leaders to spout crap out when they should be building bridges between their communities and ours and alowing it to flurish

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:34 PM
BANNED

A truly sad outcome, but why would anyone expect anything different, once again first nation leadership and provincial jackass Terry Nelson fall silent when the shit hits the fan. Pretty tough to blame whitey on this one.

Two tragedies, few answers
Nobody helped rescue people found inside Shamattawa blaze

By: Gabrielle Giroday and Mary Agnes Welch

MKO Grand Chief David Harper meets with media Wednesday.

TREVOR HAGAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image

MKO Grand Chief David Harper meets with media Wednesday.

It took RCMP 63 hours to learn a Shamattawa boy was missing and likely dead in a house fire.

It took more than three days for a northern child welfare agency to find out a boy in its care was unaccounted for.
The community fire hall.

Enlarge Image

The community fire hall.
Double tragedy and a troubling question

It took 63 hours before RCMP learned a boy died in a Shamattawa house fire

It took more time for a child-welfare agency to realize the boy was missing

Fire investigators later discovered there was a second body in the house

And still no one knows why the reserve's fire department failed to respond to the emergency
Related Items

Articles
* First Nation has history of violent deaths

And it took the province's fire investigators even longer to realize the blaze claimed the life of a second victim.

The problems that plague northern communities -- poor housing, spotty firefighting and fractured families -- fused into a tragedy early Saturday morning and apparently led to the death of an 11-year-old boy and another person who remains unidentified nearly five days after the fire.

It's not clear why volunteer firefighters failed to respond to calls for help, why no one noticed an 11-year-old boy in foster care had vanished and why no one seems to know the identity of the second victim.

"All these things are very puzzling, certainly," said Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Grand Chief David Harper. "It's very devastating."

Residents of the community identified the missing boy as Edward Redhead, though this was not formally confirmed. Members of the Redhead family declined to comment.

RCMP officers stumbled upon the house fire early Saturday morning. They alerted the local volunteer fire department, but no one responded.

"We're a police service, we're not equipped nor trained to put out fires," said RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Line Karpish. "They have to think of their safety as well... Anytime there's a fire, we rely on fire departments to be there to fight the fires because they're the ones with the equipment, they're the ones with the breathing apparatus, they're the ones with the training to deal with fires."

Shamattawa has three volunteer firefighters, but Harper and Shamattawa First Nation Chief Jeff Napoakesik are trying to figure out why no firefighters responded to the call. Harper said there is no 911 emergency phone service that far north and firefighters have no pagers or two-way radios. Often when there's a fire, someone simply runs to a firefighter's home and bangs on the door.

Karpish said RCMP officers had no idea someone might have perished in the fire until they were told two days later by a band councillor that a boy was missing. It was his grandparents' home that burned to the ground, and his grandparents initially told RCMP no one was home.

It appears the boy had been staying with his grandparents instead of his foster family over the holidays. The boy's father said the grandparents speak only Cree, but Karpish said language did not account for the delay alerting authorities he was missing.

The grandparents had run out of heating fuel, so they locked their door and went to stay elsewhere. Harper said the home was typical of wood-frame reserve houses -- a "matchbook," he said.

The boy was in the care of the Awasis child and family services agency, which didn't know one of its kids in care on the reserve was missing until about 80 hours after the fire.

Following the fire, Awasis officials did a head-count of all 66 kids in care and took photos of each child. Every child was accounted for except one, but Awasis would not confirm the name.

Marie Lands, head of the Northern Authority that oversees Awasis, said it could have been a case of the grandparents and the foster family believing the boy was in the care of the other.

She said it will take time to sort out what went wrong, but it appears all the proper standards and protocols were followed.

Meanwhile, police and band members face another mystery -- the second victim's identity.

They spent Wednesday going door-to-door in an effort to determine who might be missing.

Karpish said investigators are dealing with "charred bodies" from the blaze and water from the home's pipes that poured into the house and froze in the crawl space below.

"We've had to set up literally a tent over the house to heat it up and melt the ice in order to be certain there's no one else," she said.

Fire investigators arrived Tuesday morning.

Manitoba Fire Commissioner Christopher Jones said fire investigators in Winnipeg should be immediately notified when a fatality is suspected, or there are suspicious circumstances, an explosion or major property loss. The fire commissioner's office has a 24-hour emergency line and three fire investigators on call.

RCMP or local authorities must also contact the fire commissioner's office when the cause of the fire is unknown, Jones said.

"In First Nations communities like this one, it's the RCMP."

Jones said the RCMP contacted the fire commissioner's office on Monday at 10 p.m., three hours after police were alerted the boy was missing.

"Obviously, this case, things changed as it went along," he said. "The second they suspected something, they notified us."

Within hours of the investigator's arrival, the body of the first victim was located, followed by the second.

Karpish said the local fire department was responsible for alerting the fire commissioner's office, not the RCMP.

Both bodies will be transported to Winnipeg for autopsies.

maryagnes.welch@freepress.mb.ca gabrielle.giroday@freepress.mb.ca
Timeline of a tragedy

Saturday at about 4 a.m.:

Fire starts in a one-storey home. A bystander rushes in to search the home before he is forced out by the flames.

Minutes later:

Mounties in the area on an unrelated call go to the scene, but are unable to enter the home. The Mounties call volunteer firefighters, but get no response.

Sunday:

Mounties locate the grandparents who own the burned home. Mounties say they are not told about a missing child.

Monday at about 7 p.m.:

A band councillor tells the RCMP an 11-year-old boy is missing.

Monday at about 10 p.m.:

Mounties call the Office of the Fire Commissioner, which sends an investigator.

Tuesday:

A fire investigator arrives in the community and a body is located by midday. Mounties say they suspect it could be the missing boy. Another body is found later in the day.

Tuesday, early afternoon:

Child welfare officials first learn that a child in their care is missing.

Wednesday:

Mounties say they have no clue who the second body is. It's charred beyond recognition.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 7, 2010 A3

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and thats why the native peoples are bleeped up they alow their leaders to spout crap out when they should be building bridges between their communities and ours and alowing it to flurish
So, if Stephen Harper or Sam Katz say something stupid instead of doing things we want them to, we are "bleeped up" as well? I really don't understand the logic of this post...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 9:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

crap about racisit garbage and threating blockades and white man this and that

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
So, if Stephen Harper or Sam Katz say something stupid instead of doing things we want them to, we are "bleeped up" as well? I really don't understand the logic of this post...

If Harper or Katz said the same thing about Aboriginals, they would be forced to resign, and possibly face hate crime charges.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 1:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this is just getting worse and worse

Boy's death in Manitoba fire treated as homicide

Last Updated: Thursday, January 7, 2010 | 6:00 PM CT

CBC News

RCMP at the scene of a fatal fire on the Shamattawa First Nation, where a home burned down Saturday but remains weren't discovered until Tuesday. (CBC) A fire on Shamattawa First Nation in Manitoba that killed a boy is being treated as an arson-related homicide by police, who have a 16-year-old boy from the community in custody.
Charges have not yet been laid.
It is believed the victim is an 11-year-old boy under the care of Child and Family Services who was visiting his grandparents, who lived in the home that was destroyed.
RCMP couldn't say if the boys knew each other.
Manitoba's minister responsible for Child and Family Services is promising a full investigation into the weekend fire. The probe will consider whether the boy had been left unsupervised for hours or even days.
A second set of charred remains was found in the home, but on Thursday police confirmed they were those of an animal.
The 11-year-old boy was living in the community just south of Hudson Bay, 750 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg, in the care of the Awasis Child and Family Services Agency and was away from his foster mother on a holiday visit with his biological grandmother.
He wasn't reported missing to police until Monday.
It’s believed the woman ran out of heating fuel the night of the fire, locked up the house and left.
'If I'd known the house had burned down, I would have asked questions.'—Mary Anderson, the 11-year-old boy's foster mother
It appears the boy made his way into the home and no one noticed he was missing for as much as five hours, said David Harper, grand chief of the group that represents northern Manitoba First Nations.
An Awasis official said on Wednesday that one child of 66 in agency care in the community was unaccounted for, but wouldn't confirm his identity.
Child welfare officials said proper protocols were followed in the boy's case, but there may have been a miscommunication between the boy's foster home and his grandparents.
Opposition calls for probe

Shamattawa First Nation is about 750 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg. (CBC) Opposition politicians in Manitoba called for a full independent probe of Awasis, which is being reviewed for financial and operational reasons.
In response, Family Services Minister Gord Mackintosh said that it's too early to start laying blame but promised that answers would be forthcoming.
"At this point it is premature to point fingers at any foster parent or guardian or social worker in terms of child welfare," Mackintosh said.
He called what happened on Shamattawa a "difficult tragedy."
RCMP and Manitoba's Children's Advocate will also investigate, Mackintosh said.
Foster mom not told boy missing

The boy's foster mother, Mary Anderson, said she found out two days after the fire that he was missing, and was notified by RCMP that there had been a fire at his grandmother's home.
"I didn't know anything about the house, nobody told me," Anderson said. "If I'd known the house had burned down, I would have asked questions," she said.
The boy had been living with her for the last few months, Anderson said. He had a habit of disappearing, she said.
"He used to stay in the house here for a long period of time, then disappear and we'd go look for him, track him down, bring him home, then he'll stay in the house. That's the kind of boy he was," Anderson said.
She said the circumstances of the fire have been difficult for her to take.
"It's very hard for me. I want to find out where he was supposed to be," Anderson said.
RCMP said they went to the burning home at about 4 a.m. on Saturday. Officers' calls to the local volunteer fire department went unanswered and the home was gutted.
Police were notified two days later that the boy was missing. On Tuesday, police said remains discovered in the home were believed to belong to the boy.
Shamattawa Chief Jeff Napokeesik said on Thursday the second set of remains could be from a caribou carcass that he was told was in the house when it burned.
No other people in the community had been reported missing and a door-to-door search failed to turn up any answers.
'My responsibility,' grand chief says

Harper, who heads an agency that represents most First Nations communities in northern Manitoba, said he takes responsibility for the lack of emergency response to the fire.
"What had happened, it's our responsibility, it's my responsibility," he said, adding the resources to respond to the emergency should have been in place.
Harper said a fact-finding mission will begin Friday and he will also arrive in Shamattawa Friday. Reporters have been invited to join him.
However, Napokeesik earlier said there's no blame to be laid, and that he wasn't surprised to hear the local volunteer fire department didn't respond to the blaze when police called to tell them about it.
"I can tell you right away that there will be no answer over there. Because there is nobody at the fire department," Napokeesik said.
"It's not like the fire department in the City of Thompson or the City of Winnipeg," he said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan