HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
We're getting the jobs... just not the infrastructure (roads, mass transit, etc.) to support them.

The SA way: Don't plan ahead!
So what is all that freeway construction? Just filling up pot holes?

Nevermind VIA and the county pretty much pushing forward with light rail.

But I guess it pays to be cynical.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
So what is all that freeway construction? Just filling up pot holes?

Nevermind VIA and the county pretty much pushing forward with light rail.

But I guess it pays to be cynical.
Widening 410, the Bandera interchange, and most the other various projects are long overdue. I was referencing the fact that the city is falling behind on projects such as 1604 and 281. 281 was scraped and 1604 may meet that fate. The houses have already been built and the people moved in... suburbia or not we can't just ignore it.

Light-rail is WAY overdue. It should have been passed last time. The "The Rim to Downtown" rail, if approved, will take at least 6 years before we can ride. Aside, it is just a way for The Rim to fill their hotels (proposed 5, + Talavera). Guests can stay out there cheaper and travel via light-rail to the Riverwalk, Alamo, etc. I support it... but it isn't nearly enough.

Come on SA, why are we always playing the catch-up game?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:33 AM

The projects are overdue, but should serve SA's population for years to come. 281 was not scrapped, only delayed by shortsighted people who bought houses in the (former) sticks and now think everyone else should pay for their roads to be upgraded. 1604 is supposed to begin towards the end of this year.

As for the light rail, a regional plan with a lot of new construction and with more than six zeros in the price tag isn't going to get passed in SA (and wouldn't and hasn't in many other cities). Its best to just see if the starter line can get going in a few years and build off of that.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Widening 410, the Bandera interchange, and most the other various projects are long overdue. I was referencing the fact that the city is falling behind on projects such as 1604 and 281. 281 was scraped and 1604 may meet that fate. The houses have already been built and the people moved in... suburbia or not we can't just ignore it.
And none of that is in the city's control. They don't own the freeways. FYI, 281 hasn't been scraped.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:43 AM

Good point. But it is SA citizens (specifically, Stone Oak, Timberwood Park, and Bulverde) who are holding it up.

What's hilarious to me is that Terri Hall, et al got them to rescind the approval of the EA in order to block the toll road, as if it matters in an EA whether a freeway is tolled or "free". If it doesn't get environmental approval, then no freeway can be built, leaving them to sit at lights the rest of their lives.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Good point. But it is SA citizens (specifically, Stone Oak, Timberwood Park, and Bulverde) who are holding it up.

What's hilarious to me is that Terri Hall, et al got them to rescind the approval of the EA in order to block the toll road, as if it matters in an EA whether a freeway is tolled or "free". If it doesn't get environmental approval, then no freeway can be built, leaving them to sit at lights the rest of their lives.
Indeed. It's going to take two or three years at least to get the new environmental study completed, and nothing can happen there till it's done, regardless of funding mechanism. It will be quite funny if SA gets some of the money from Obama's stimulus plan for road construction (remember they have to be 'ready to go plans' which 281N was..) and that project is no longer on the table due to the new environmental study. So we'll end up getting the exact same toll road up there anyhow, but not for another 5-7 years, costing 40% more because of inflation. Just like the local agitators and hooligans who came before her (Kay Turner, C.A. Stubbs, Jack Finger) Ms. Hall is arrogant enough to think she speaks for all of us and knows what is best for us. This time it appears she might just have cut off our collective nose to spite our face.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 PM

There aren't many cities that have experienced the growth SA has. It is not easy to keep up with developments. And big problems such as what has become of the stoneoak and bulverde area is that developments were built on the speculation that 281 would be built.

It is true that SA has some infrastructure issues, but that is something that has been seriously addressed over the last few years. For an example look at medical center and all of the intersections that have been redone, with three in construction now and 4 more in design. The city's 2007 bond is going to do a lot of good and public works has their new infrastructure management program that will help them get to the most needed areas. Over the next year traffic will get worse as the Bond Program construction gets going (scheduled to be completed in 2012), but when it is done they will start the next Bond Program (hopefully). Case in point the city is doing a lot to fix there roads, they are involved, but are not responsible for the highways.

In addition, There are alot of projects, TXDOT and COSA that could benefit from an Obama stimulus package. The city alone has put in a list of over $2 billion worth of possible projects. TXDOT has projects that they have had to cancel that has hurt the Consultant industry in SA that could go back online such as Wurzbach Parkway.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 7:38 PM
Austinite

Broadway Update

Looks like the Broadway has topped out. Here are some shots taken yesterday (1/31/09) from along Broadway Street:

Looking north:

From Broadway, looking south:

Drive-by dusk shots from 281

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:26 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post

One of the Ft Sam cranes is just barely visible in this shot

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:40 PM

Awesome shots Mopacs!

That building second to the left of the Broadway and right of the Park Lane Towers, is that new? I've never noticed it before, looks to be seven or eight stories.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:48 PM

Great update Mopacs! I'm usually pretty cynical when it comes to San Antonio's high-rise potential, but I think a Broadway corridor lined with midrise and highrise condos/apts and office space in 20 years isn't that unlikely. Despite the residential growth DT, I still think more people in SA would prefer to live in Alamo Heights, and there's really no room to build low density residential in AH anymore.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 9:04 PM
James

I totally agree, people will pay to move into AH. Which means there is no where to go but up, much to the dismay of some nimby's no doubt.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 9:40 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

You've never been able to build past 2.5 stories in AH. There are only two exceptions. The first is the Patterson Condos, about 10 stories tall, which somehow got a varience few decades ago. My guess would be because its hidden from virtually any vantage point, bar hildebrand and 281.

The second, more recent high rise is the Incarnate Word Retirement tower, which is 8 stories and has a lovely view of a cemetery. They got to build it because there was something in the deed to the land that allowed them to.

So, long story short, the only vertical development in the AH area is going to occur in SA.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 9:49 PM

Broadway could become like Lemmon Ave. in Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 1:19 AM
Meh

Quote:
Awesome shots Mopacs!

That building second to the left of the Broadway and right of the Park Lane Towers, is that new? I've never noticed it before, looks to be seven or eight stories.
I'm not sure of the name, but it's not new. I believe it's an office building?

The Broadway is looking great. I really like it. The design of the building is perfect for that location. The glass wall facing Broadway is a really nice touch and the way it curves away. And it's looking tall there, quite impressive. I need to check it out, and that whole area the next time I'm in town. Nice little skyline forming there.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Awesome shots Mopacs!

It's the guest house, a type of hotel for service members, on Ft. Sam.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Then suburbia pay for it....through property taxes and a special gas tax in that area. The state of Texas already built a road...to be used. Then those people built the area up and moved there....making the roads obsolete.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
There aren't many cities that have experienced the growth SA has. It is not easy to keep up with developments. And big problems such as what has become of the stoneoak and bulverde area is that developments were built on the speculation that 281 would be built.
Tons of cities have....had growth like the San Antonio metro area. Why keep giving that area of the world excuses for the inability to plan a head and plan growth? Sorry....but when little attention is paid to the city....the inner core...which suffers on so many fronts from all the money going to build new...bigger...better...farther areas of the city...something is just plain wrong about that.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Sorry....but when little attention is paid to the city....the inner core...which suffers on so many fronts from all the money going to build new...bigger...better...farther areas of the city...something is just plain wrong about that.
Sad...but true.
Hopefully when the Museum Reach of the River is complete, the focus will be on beautification of the inner core and development.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Sad...but true.
Hopefully when the Museum Reach of the River is complete, the focus will be on beautification of the inner core and development.
And the potential is so there for a jewel. Just got to get the people who love San Antonio in power and the buiness people who exploit it out of power.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio