HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:08 PM

Speaking of the Nobu Hotel...it received its first new construction building permit yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:17 PM
The City

^ Finally!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Welcome to our forum. Many (most?) Chicago forumers, myself included, are in favor of developments with limited parking that help transition our city into a more walkable and transit-friendly place - especially when those developments sit around the corner from an L station.

Also, I think most forumers here agree that additional density is a good thing in 99% of cases, even if it is "out of character" with the surrounding neighborhood. Density drives transit ridership, helps support more retailers and services within walking distance, and generally makes neighborhoods more urban. Also in gentrifying neighborhoods, the phenomenon of deconversions (turning a 3-flat into a single family home) tends to reduce population, so new dense developments are needed to prevent overall population loss.
I agree with all of that. Again, I simply asked for the parking plan. I did not yell or scream or spout fantasy about the destitution of the neighborhood or the world. Yet at the meeting and here I have been ridiculed for some odd reason because I asked a question.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I agree with all of that. Again, I simply asked for the parking plan. I did not yell or scream or spout fantasy about the destitution of the neighborhood or the world. Yet at the meeting and here I have been ridiculed for some odd reason because I asked a question.
Basically both "sides" of this need to learn a lesson. People need to not assume that someone is asking a question because they're necessarily against it and the person asking the question might have to sometimes clarify that they aren't necessarily against it. I have to do this all the time at my job or else in certain situations, people will jump all over you (or whoever) for asking a question about something that is important.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
That's just Proco Joe.
He packs the meeting with a goon squad who shout down everyone.
It usually means he's holding a post dated check.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:28 PM

Items of note for December's Zoning Board meeting:

* New 4 story, 34 unit + retail building at 2443 N Western (Western & Altgeld. Near The Mutiny). 34 parking spaces. To replace this mostly 1 story industrial-ish looking building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...876176!6m1!1e1

* 4 story, 39 unit building proposed at 1743-67 W Rosehill (Rosehill and Hermitage) up in Edgewater/Andersonville. To replace this 1 story former office building that was Jeron Electronic Systems:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9866...8i6656!6m1!1e1

* Lake Shore Drive & Banks. Proposed 8 story 58 unit building going in that surface parking lot. We already knew about this, but I believe the last word was 60 units, so they may have reduced by 2 units. 42 parking spaces.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
As for parking, I could care less. I own a garage.

It's so nice that, even though you aren't personally impacted, you're willing to care about an issue. You could care less but you declined to do so.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
That's just Proco Joe.
He packs the meeting with a goon squad who shout down everyone.
It usually means he's holding a post dated check.
Not surprising to hear about him.
A series of social media photos to name and shame the goons might be interesting..

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 10:13 PM
The City

I don't know if there are data to corroborate this, but the Loop seems to be getting more and more vibrant over the years.

In the past trips downtown always involved a visit to the Mag Mile, but recently I've had a few trips (recreational ones) where we never crossed north of the river.

I still think there need to be some more restaurant and late night options, but it's slowly getting there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't know if there are data to corroborate this, but the Loop seems to be getting more and more vibrant over the years.

In the past trips downtown always involved a visit to the Mag Mile, but recently I've had a few trips (recreational ones) where we never crossed north of the river.

I still think there need to be some more restaurant and late night options, but it's slowly getting there.
I think the hotel conversions, added residential, and riverwalk (seeing lots more tourists on Wacker sidewalks) are causing more evening/weekend foot traffic than I'm used to. It's not River North by any means but it's noticeably busier off hours IMO.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I've been working in the Loop (on LaSalle St and also on Michigan Ave) for the last 11 years, and I'd say yes.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Items of note for December's Zoning Board meeting:

* New 4 story, 34 unit + retail building at 2443 N Western (Western & Altgeld. Near The Mutiny). 34 parking spaces. To replace this mostly 1 story industrial-ish looking building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...876176!6m1!1e1

* 4 story, 39 unit building proposed at 1743-67 W Rosehill (Rosehill and Hermitage) up in Edgewater/Andersonville. To replace this 1 story former office building that was Jeron Electronic Systems:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9866...8i6656!6m1!1e1

* Lake Shore Drive & Banks. Proposed 8 story 58 unit building going in that surface parking lot. We already knew about this, but I believe the last word was 60 units, so they may have reduced by 2 units. 42 parking spaces
Naturally, Curbed has an article about this a few days later haha
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/12/5/...ve-parking-lot

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 6:10 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
I've been working in the Loop (on LaSalle St and also on Michigan Ave) for the last 11 years, and I'd say yes.
Yep, been living in Chicago since the mid-90s and looking at pictures taken by me and family members dating back to then show how Streeterville was quite literally more streets than anything around then, the parks kind of sucked and how barren and cold the Loop felt in general. Would love to see Randolph return to its former 50s-60s glory that we've seen State Street do; it's well on its way.

edit: oh yeah and Lakeshore East was a fucking golf course hahahaha

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Welcome to our forum. Many (most?) Chicago forumers, myself included, are in favor of developments with limited parking that help transition our city into a more walkable and transit-friendly place - especially when those developments sit around the corner from an L station.

Also, I think most forumers here agree that additional density is a good thing in 99% of cases, even if it is "out of character" with the surrounding neighborhood. Density drives transit ridership, helps support more retailers and services within walking distance, and generally makes neighborhoods more urban. Also in gentrifying neighborhoods, the phenomenon of deconversions (turning a 3-flat into a single family home) tends to reduce population, so new dense developments are needed to prevent overall population loss.
Wet Town Brad - welcome to the forum.

Hi Ardecila - I agree with your comments as well, but I think what Brad was getting at (and Brad, please correct me if I am wrong), was that he wanted to know what impact this building would have on street parking in the area. Even though this new building (which I support) will have zero on-site parking, some residents will bring cars anyway and park them on the side streets, impacting current neighbors' ability to find easy street parking, as well a attracting visitors to the building who drive there (as opposed to taking Uber, which is what they should be taking), which also consumes side street parking.

To me, it is a valid question and concern, but being that I am pro-mass transit and pro-Uber, I recommend building more of these buildings and encouraging everyone in the neighborhood to change their car usage, where possible (and yes, I understand that not everyone can right now; that is totally understandable).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:52 AM

Just 3 more days until our good friend release his detailed development, population change, and median income map. It's like Christmas for us development folk!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:12 PM

Anyone available for pictures for the McDonalds groundbreaking, NBC said there should be some big wigs there for questions about future west loop development.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
At Tuesday's meeting for Pennycuff, the homeowner neighbors spouted the usual crap about parking and density, but they were apparently drowned out by other neighborhood residents who appreciate the affordability aspect of the project.
Anecdotally, I was just in Pewaukee, WI visiting a friend and he was lamenting what an auto-centric, sidewalk-free hell hole he lived in. I talked some about community development and he mentioned that every conversation he's had about changes to development patterns are rebutted with points about parking that are extremely thinly veiled references to race. It's not acceptable to announce publicly at a meeting that you think a project might appeal to a demographic you find distasteful. It's OK to talk about "parking", for example.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:12 PM
TL;DR

^ I assume the dynamic is somewhat different in a place like Pewaukee than in a Chicago neighborhood. Waukesha County is the home of Scott Walker and a rather ugly strain of conservatism. Most Chicagoans at least vote liberal...

Anyway, new development at Division/Paulina extending an existing building with Starbucks. 14 units, 7 parking spaces. Nice to see the TOD ordinance being used for cool little rear yard infill projects like this that simply wouldn't work if parking was 1:1. Reminds me of that other little project over on Webster/Racine.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 7:01 PM

That looks cool.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 7:07 PM

444 W Lake - Plaza

Apparently the building is completed and the thread closed - work is still progressing on the Plaza (and the rest of the site has that "not quite done yet" feel, and access restrictions ;-) )

Nov 18
CUBS WIN !

Dec 1
A quick shot before security sho's me away

Dec 6

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development