HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 10:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

6 decades lol more like 12. And that Queen Anne house is gorgeous, so idiotic they are tearing it down. What the hell? In fact, all of those historic houses are incredible. Such idiocy. They should at least preserve that Queen Anne, there arent too many left in the city with huge turrets like that anymore.

Last edited by photoLith; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:16 AM

Just for fun:

Yet another travel article, from the WashPost this time, but I like this one because it actually talks history and topography:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...71437097188239

And a mouth-watering article on the cutting-edge food scene. The question the article asks is whether Pittsburgh is a place worth flying to just to eat, and it concludes not yet--but the very idea of asking that question is remarkable to me:

http://www.eater.com/2015/7/17/89634...tion-food-town

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm never really happy about historic housing getting knocked down, but Oakland is one of the few places I almost shrug at it. ...

The elimination of worn grand old houses in favor of a new residential highrise is more than worthwhile.
Really? I disagree. Oakland, of all places should ardently preserve as much historic architecture as possible.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 11:54 AM

I hate to see these grand historic homes go. I get that it is a very good thing to be packing more apartment units into Oakland, but this is not far from where they are building that frickin' Arby's. So I would rather see lots like that one fill up with apartment buildings first, then we can discuss properties occupied by historic buildings if necessary.

All that said, I won't chain myself to the bulldozers, because at least this is a worthy project other than the loss of the historic homes.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

What are they building on what used to be a parking lot near the corner of 5th avenue and Vine St in Uptown? I just drove past and they already have most of the foundation done and some steel up. There's a lot of new stuff going up in Uptown, it's great to see.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 4:25 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I hate to see these grand historic homes go. I get that it is a very good thing to be packing more apartment units into Oakland, but this is not far from where they are building that frickin' Arby's. So I would rather see lots like that one fill up with apartment buildings first, then we can discuss properties occupied by historic buildings if necessary.

All that said, I won't chain myself to the bulldozers, because at least this is a worthy project other than the loss of the historic homes.
There's an Arby's under construction in North Oakland?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There's an Arby's under construction in North Oakland?
Baum and Cypress, which I believe is Bloomfield:

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 6:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:09 PM

I think there was talk when the Chelsea was going to be built that those homes along Center weren't really salvageable except maybe 1 (probably the corner one).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:38 PM
JasonInPGH

Just heard some more news about the Penn Plaza Apartments fiasco. It sounds like they will take back the notices, come up with a plan for re-development, then re-send the notices. I hope, that during this re-development, they at least come up with a phasing plan to ensure that the citizens of the project can be relocated by ELDI or some other agency. I also hope that they also do a better job at redeveloping this property than they did with New Pennley Place. I biked past there today and saw a property marker also.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 11:06 PM
Eurosceptic

Saw the T running through Allentown today... I don't think PAT has restored that route? I assume there is some non-passenger operational purpose why they might run a train through there on occasion.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 1:23 AM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Saw the T running through Allentown today... I don't think PAT has restored that route? I assume there is some non-passenger operational purpose why they might run a train through there on occasion.
The Mt. Washington transit tunnel was closed today, so they re-routed the T over the old Allentown Line. Apparently, the tracks are in bad shape because a few trolleys got stuck.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Really? I disagree. Oakland, of all places should ardently preserve as much historic architecture as possible.
I'll elaborate the points I made before.

1. That portion of North Oakland was originally called Bellefield, and was built out in a very similar vernacular to Shadyside, Highland Park, Friendship, and East Liberty. The vernacular was slowly eaten away by apartment construction between the 1920s and the 1970s. There really isn't much of old Bellefield left aside from the 200 block of N Dithridge, and the 300 blocks of N Craig and Melwood. The neighborhood vernacular has shifted to being apartments - indeed, the neighborhood is one only two real apartment districts in the city, and has unquestionably developed the highest population density of any census tract.

2. These houses are quite nice, theoretically speaking. But due to being in Oakland, as long as they are standing they will quite likely never be anything other than slummy subdivided apartments. Or possibly frat houses, or maybe the offices of nonprofits. They will never be "returned to glory" as single-family houses however. It's also almost as unlikely to see them turned into condos.

3. Ultimately, the trade off in density is worth it. Most beautiful historic houses have been demolished in the name of "urban renewal," or for things like parking lots and autocentric commercial strips. These are going to be knocked down for a residential highrise, with commercial on the ground floor. I have no doubt that the new building won't have as much charm, but IMHO the density boost is more than worthwhile.

Note that these have not been the only houses demolished in Greater Oakland lately. As part of the new apartment project in West Oakland they knocked down these two. I believe a hotel is being built there now. CMU is planning on demolishing this building soon as well. I don't think, as Oakland continues to redevelop, it's really tenable that many single-family houses will be retained in the most intense areas of development. And IMHO this is fine, 70%-90% of people are renters, and most of those who aren't own condo units.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPittsburgh View Post
Just heard some more news about the Penn Plaza Apartments fiasco. It sounds like they will take back the notices, come up with a plan for re-development, then re-send the notices. I hope, that during this re-development, they at least come up with a phasing plan to ensure that the citizens of the project can be relocated by ELDI or some other agency. I also hope that they also do a better job at redeveloping this property than they did with New Pennley Place. I biked past there today and saw a property marker also.
Articles:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/8...#axzz3gKmTp9MT

Quote:
Kevin Acklin, chief of staff for Mayor Bill Peduto, said those involved in the negotiations are working “toward a resolution for the proposed redevelopment that includes commitments to affordable housing on-site and in the East Liberty neighborhood ... in a manner that avoids disruption to people's lives and displacement from their homes.” . . . Some of the soon-to-be-displaced residents have expressed concern that there is a dearth of affordable housing for them to move into, said Councilman Ricky Burgess of North Point Breeze. Penn Plaza is home to lower- and moderate-income residents, Burgess said. About 40 residents get federal vouchers toward their rent, he said.
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201507180126

Quote:
Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto told tenants Saturday that in meetings since the city first found out about the 90-day notices that went out 10 days ago, city officials told the Gumbergs the city wanted them to rescind the notices, to include some affordable housing in their plans for the site and to create a fund that would provide financial assistance to help residents move. . . . The broader discussions of the development itself will also include trying to figure out how to “phase in” the development and prevent anyone from being displaced without a new, affordable home in the neighborhood, said Kevin Acklin, Mr. Peduto’s chief of staff.
. . .
The company has told city officials it is considering a mixed-use development combining both residential and retail on the 7-acre site that surrounds a 2-acre, city-owned park, Enright Parklet, in between the two buildings. That city-owned park may be small, but it could have a big impact on how the site is developed, Mr. Peduto said. In addition to zoning and possible government financial support for the development, the park “is our leverage,” he said. “If they tried to develop it without [the park] they'd have a doughnut.”
Interesting point about the parklet--it sounds like maybe the City would be willing to either give it up or at least allow significant changes in exchange for concessions on the development (which would be fine with me).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 6:10 PM

Catching up, more upgrades are in the works for PPG, including an expanded ice rink and a new "destination" restaurant, and they are also still looking at what to do with the food court (including still talking to the East End Food Co-op):

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201507170140

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:04 AM

Some updated renderings of the SkyVue apartments. It is looking a lot less horrible! Dare I say mildly pleasing?

http://www.skyvueapts.com/#top

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 3:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

Is that one apartment on the very top? Holy crap.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:11 AM
Eurosceptic

Impressed that they actually have a snow-covered rendering... also loving the yoga rendering.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:23 PM

I noticed this weekend that they already have the full elevator cores, along with two stories of wall panels, up for the new Bakery Square apartment building. Seems they are moving quite fast - I swear groundbreaking was like a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
What are they building on what used to be a parking lot near the corner of 5th avenue and Vine St in Uptown? I just drove past and they already have most of the foundation done and some steel up. There's a lot of new stuff going up in Uptown, it's great to see.
If it's the site I think it is (by the gas station?) I think it's the new market-rate apartment building.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Some updated renderings of the SkyVue apartments. It is looking a lot less horrible! Dare I say mildly pleasing?
thank god the facades don't have those awful soviet-era vertical stripes/elements that can be found on so many of the newer apartment buildings in pittsburgh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations