HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
They must be including pool deck, lobby, other public spaces in their 282k sq ft "space" count.
I believe that is either a misprint or this development will be more of a point tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I believe that is either a misprint or this development will be more of a point tower.
Yup. I'm betting it's a misprint. If it's truly a luxury hotel -- one that doesn't have much of a focus on group business -- it might have 10k sq ft in conference space. And that's a lot, to be honest.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:11 AM

That rendering from the Statesman article is a new one because it has the correct floor count. It looks like level 33 may be mechanical, so this one will probably be 32-stories officially.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...CeCB9phJy2OeL/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:57 AM
World Traveler

The only thing that sort of makes sense for a luxury hotel in this area to me is that it is in relative proximity to a lot of the area as opposed to right next to one thing or another. UT, State Capitol, future Brackenridge development, future Waterloo Park (and Waller Creek development), and not too far from 6th street (some folks who can afford 5 stars still like that stuff).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
The only thing that sort of makes sense for a luxury hotel in this area to me is that it is in relative proximity to a lot of the area as opposed to right next to one thing or another. UT, State Capitol, future Brackenridge development, future Waterloo Park (and Waller Creek development), and not too far from 6th street (some folks who can afford 5 stars still like that stuff).
You're right and I guess I'm amazed at how speculative it is. Choosing an area that will develop fully maybe within the next decade, but for now is pretty barren. It's true, I guess, that when Dell and Brackenridge are fully up and running, that side of town is going to be hopping.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:24 PM

The ABJ has the story now, and they end it with the sobering reminder that the proposed CVC expansion could be a roadblock.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...tin-trump.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The ABJ has the story now, and they end it with the sobering reminder that the proposed CVC expansion could be a roadblock.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...tin-trump.html
Exactly. There will be no building on this lot. No chance. Council will delay final approval until cvc is in place.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Exactly. There will be no building on this lot. No chance. Council will delay final approval until cvc is in place.
I agree. The council will kick this one down the road and ultimately say no. Unfortunately, this is one of the proposed CVCs that is less contentious for the council.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:50 PM

The City Council has definitely become anti-growth and development. Both this and the Brackenridge Tract development would add a lot of life (and tax base!) to an ugly, under utilized part of Downtown. But they don't care, and they are not urbanists.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:13 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
They're clearly not anti-growth/anti-development, as the CVC that affected Brackenridge did not move forward with the rest precisely because it affected that development. If they were anti-growth/anti-development, that would have added fuel to their fire, not stopped them.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:12 PM

I don't think they are anti development downtown... but I don't think they can comprehend opportunities that are out of box for government.

For instance - they will kill this project with CVC and we will have a red river st section that is never redeveloped and will continue to be a skid row with homeless support services adjacent. An opportunist might say how could we leverage developer desire in this area to provide more/better services for the homeless - almost like a tif zone. No chance the city could get their brains around something like this.

What's better for Austin - leveraging developers to tackle real social issues or protect a few views to ensure development can't move east of 35. Cause gentrification is going to happen with or without more dense development there - something some council members won't be able to grasp either.

Sorry for the rant but city council vexes me greatly.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:32 AM

I like the looks of this project considering that it's a hotel. But the rendering is showing the front side facing Red River St. The back side will be highly visible since it's facing I-35. I hope it isn't a 33-story blank wall.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:41 AM
World Traveler

^ Huh, I hadn't thought of that. I hope the same...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
This building is hideous whether it has a second blank wall or not.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:27 AM

If it were painted beige and brown it could pass as a twin of the Hilton.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:38 AM

I hope they stick with the blue & bronze colors (a la the JW) that the primitive rendering hints at. Even the ugly Hilton, Hotel Indigo and Hyatt House would look better without the washed out/earth tone look.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:46 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, this rendering does look like it was colored in with map colors by a child... I'd be interested to see something a bit more quality before I decide (though probably will decide) that it's ugly. Nonetheless, an ugly building with windows is better than a blank wall.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's like the JW mated with a Soviet brutalist building.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:59 AM

Just saying ... I wouldn't be surprised if the Hilton changed colors over the next year or so.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Just saying ... I wouldn't be surprised if the Hilton changed colors over the next year or so.
That would definitely give it more curb appeal to go along with their shiny new sky walk to the CC. I would think the 555 owners would welcome that as well since it would help with their condo market value IMO. I personally would rather spend a million bucks on a condo in a nice looking high rise over a dated beige mess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin