HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
At one time the Moncton Hospital was clearly the second most important hospital in the province. I fear that soon this will no longer be the case…….
I can never stop imagining what Moncton downtown would have been like if we had 1 Large Billingual 800 Bed Hospital here instead of 2 "medium" sized 400 bed facilities a few blocks away from each other....

Supposedly you must be able to have care in either language at both hospitals so whats the point of having them both here competing for limited resources???

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I can never stop imagining what Moncton downtown would have been like if we had 1 Large Billingual 800 Bed Hospital here instead of 2 "medium" sized 400 bed facilities a few blocks away from each other....
Yes that is a very good question……

Supposedly, (at least from what I heard from older doctors at the Moncton Hospital when I first came to work here), when the idea of building a new GDH (to replace the old Hotel Dieu) was first floated 50 years or so ago, the proposal was to build a single massive hospital (a la SJRH) to replace both the Hotel Dieu and the Moncton Hospital.

This hospital would have had an anglophone tower and a francophone tower, connected by a "services" wing where common facilities like medical imaging, surgical suites and the lab would have been located. This made perfect sense, but the Acadian elite at the time put the kibosh to this as they felt that the de facto working language of such a combined facility would have been English and this was (to them) entirely unacceptable. As such, a separate GDH was built and the current medical duality in Moncton came into being.

Duality is now a de facto (if not de jure) reality in Moncton (and in NB), and is supported by the current dual health care region model. Horizon (anglophone) and Vitalite (francophone) gives a legitimacy and structure to the de facto duality and has created two competing health care silos in the province. There is precious little communication between the two authorities (let alone cooperation).

I'm of the opinion that the only way around the impasse, and the only way that the two medical communities in the city won't feel threatened by the other, would be to create a new third health care region in NB tasked to deal with the unique challenges of the southeastern portion of the province. By having a third health care authority, this would also somewhat delegitimize the concept of de facto provincial health care duality (how can you have duality if there are three health care authorities ).

This new third authority would have jurisdiction over both the GDH and TMH, and would be tasked with proportioning health care resources between the two existing hospitals in Moncton. The Moncton Hospital would continue to work in English and the GDH would continue to operate in French. Bilingual services would be available in both facilities, and tertiary care services would be provided in the hospital which has the most expertise (e.g. oncology at the GDH and neurosciences at the Moncton Hospital). A careful balance would have to be maintained between the two facilities so that neither one feels threatened. By having a combined unified structure however, the new Southeast Health Care Authority would be able to compete on a level playing field with the common enemy (the SJRH). The city of Moncton would end up a winner and neither linguistic community should feel threatened.

Of course I do tend to live in a dream world. This will never happen…….

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 19, 2014 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Yes that is a very good question……

Supposedly, (at least from what I heard from older doctors at the Moncton Hospital when I first came to work here), when the idea of building a new GDH (to replace the old Hotel Dieu) was first floated 50 years or so ago, the proposal was to build a single massive hospital (a la SJRH) to replace both the Hotel Dieu and the Moncton Hospital.
Very good points and history MonctonRad...thanks for filling in some blanks!

I agree that having both hospitals here under the same umbrella would help the situation here...although it will never happen...and the "ideal" solution would be a single structure combining TMH and GDH which will also never happen...

At least we can rest assured where some cities have only one emergency room with an endless lineup...we will always have two!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
At least we can rest assured where some cities have only one emergency room with an endless lineup...we will always have two!
I think you mean two emergency rooms, both with endless line-ups……

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton's website:

MONCTON – As the City of Moncton prepares to celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2015, 125 trees will be planted along the Vaughan Harvey Boulevard median, between Assomption Boulevard and Mountain Road, and the City is inviting residents to ‘put down some roots’ and help in planting those trees on Thursday, May 15.

The event, as the first phase of this project, will take place on Arbor Day from 9 a.m. to noon, when the first 35 trees will be planted by members of the community between Millennium Boulevard and Collishaw Street (near the YMCA).

As well as adding an aesthetic appeal, these trees will be a living monument to Moncton’s 125th anniversary.

“The citizens of Moncton have been speaking positively of the value of trees in our urban core,” said Dan Hicks, Supervisor of Parks and Grounds with the City of Moncton. “Planting a significant number of trees along the median on Vaughan Harvey will have a beautiful impact for future generations to enjoy.”

In addition to celebrating Moncton’s 125th anniversary, this project is part of the City’s commitment to the growth and preservation of our urban forest.

For those interested in participating on Arbor Day and help plant trees, please contact the City of Moncton Parks and Leisure Services at 853-3516 or at parksandleisure@moncton.ca.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:11 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm really glad to hear that. I've always been fond of Connaught Ave in Halifax and its wide tree-lined median. It'll take a long time for these new trees to mature, but I think the end result will make the road much more attractive. VH is an attractive street from Main to St George, but it could use a lot of love especially through to Collishaw.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

Moncton plans giant plaza for future Downing Street

Downing Plaza will accommodate 15,000 people for major events
CBC News Posted: Apr 24, 2014 6:56 AM AT
Last Updated: Apr 24, 2014 6:56 AM AT

The City of Moncton’s plans for the future Downing Street — which will connect city hall to the Petitcodiac River — include a giant plaza where 15,000 people can gather and an observation deck extending over the river.

The block-long Downing Plaza will be mainly for pedestrians, but there will be space for vehicles.

"Almost as far as to the atrium at the Blue Cross Centre, that's more than enough to host 15,000 people at an event, which is for Moncton, right? This where the residents of Moncton are intended to celebrate," said urban architect Jim Scott.

Currently, Downing Street is a dead-end and a parking lot exit.

Construction of the first part of the street will start this summer. Later sections will be added over the next five years.

One of the biggest problems will be getting people safely across Assomption Boulevard, which runs next to the river.

Scott says the boulevard was poorly planned as it cuts off the riverbank from the city.

"The notion of separating the riverfront from the downtown is a mistake that's been done in almost every city," Scott said.

The city will build a pedestrian-friendly roundabout at the corner of Assomption and Downing Plaza, he says.

That should cut down on traffic and will allow cars to be rerouted when the city wants to shut down the area for big events, he says.

So, from the sounds of it, the city appears to be proceeding with a plan for Downing Street that will be identical, or very nearly identical to the original renders that we saw a couple of months ago - including the roundabout on Assumption Blvd.

It is surprising to hear that they believe that this plaza could accommodate 15,000 people - unless they mean along the length of Downing Street, spilling across Assumption and onto the Riverfront Park.

This is an exciting project, and in it's own way will be just as transformative for the downtown as the proposed downtown events centre will be.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:

Construction of the first part of the street will start this summer. Later sections will be added over the next five years.
The first part? It's a single city block, they're really going to drag this out for 5 years? Jeez. At least the St-George street revitalisation project is almost complete... oh wait

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:01 PM

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12724

Quote:
Landscape architect Jim Scott has filled in more details regarding what the proposed Downing Place will and can be.

Downing Place is acommunity project that at its base is intended to celebrate Moncton’s 125th birthday in 2015, but that has the potential to be so much more.

Phase one, which will be done by year’s end, is simply to reconnect Downing back to Assomption Boulevard, the first step in the bigger goal of physically and emotionally reconnecting downtown and city hall with the Petitcodiac River.

This story gives us a better understanding of what they have planned and why it will take longer than one year to complete. The plan on reconnecting and creating a street this year and phase 2 will be the creation of the plaza and phase 3 will be the final creation of the second street on the opposite side of the plaza. I am sure if they really wanted to, they could find a way to do it quicker, but in the long term this will look great when finished.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:50 PM

5 years does seem long. Similar to Dieppe's Paul street project I suppose. And how long did it take the Killam/Collishaw roundabout project? That took a couple of years.

At least we're seeing commitment and this project does have massive appeal to downtown. Bring on the downtown festivals!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a notice for a request for rezoning in the T&T today concerning the lot on the SE corner of St George/Steadman (in the east end) for a "new two storey commercial office building". Anybody know what's up with that??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 8:27 PM

Its difficult to say what is up, looking on google maps all four corners have something currently build on them, this is also the first I have heard of it.. but I am all for it, that end of St.George really needs to see something like that.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that 1234 Main now has a large Tangerine sign on it's top. Tangerine is the new name for ING Direct.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 8:27 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I see that 1234 Main now has a large Tangerine sign on it's top. Tangerine is the new name for ING Direct.
I heard it through the orange-vine (Tangerine employee) that this move will mean a significant expansion for them...perhaps more staff as well

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 12:31 AM

Also the plan is, everyone from the other building will move to 1234 Main and then the other building will start renovations to look similar.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There is a notice for a request for rezoning in the T&T today concerning the lot on the SE corner of St George/Steadman (in the east end) for a "new two storey commercial office building". Anybody know what's up with that??
Further to the above, here are some renders of the proposed new commercial/office building in the east end at the corner of St George St and Steadman.

Not a bad looking little piece of infill, and this will certainly come as a welcome addition to the east end of the DT. I am becoming increasingly confident that there is a revival of sorts going on in the east end. Things may look quite different down there in the next 15-20 years.

Of note with this proposal is how the parking area at the back is hidden from the street by a solid wall. This is the next big thing coming to the core area. A visual barrier such as this helps to hide the blight of surface parking, and also serves to identify the parking lot as being a private lot, rather than as a public one. This is an important issue given the "booting" problem in the core……..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I'll take anything for that stretch of St-George. Doesn't look half bad either.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 1:21 PM

This is the current corner, taken from google maps. This project will be a huge change and a nice addition to that area of town.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
This is the current corner, taken from google maps. This project will be a huge change and a nice addition to that area of town.

I noticed from my Sunday morning Tim's coffee run, that the white house on St-George st. in the background also has a For Sale sign in front. Century 21 if I recall.

That St-George st project is pretty impressive in my opinion. Looks like the work of the same designer as the Bostford/Victoria.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:33 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Thats a beautiful piece of infill...hopefully it will inspire similar projects nearby

Yet another small-mid size infill downtown that isnt a highrise...but I'll take 10 new "little guys" over one highrise any day.

The name of the game in Moncton should be quality, density boosting projects...this and the new Botsford/Victoria project are perfect examples!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces