HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
One common argument against new development in SF is that only national franchise chains can afford the flashy new retail spaces in them so the city has fought back by banning "formula retail" on many of its major neighborhood shopping streets. As a result, with the huge exception of the vicinity of Fisherman's Wharf, which has been ceded to tourists, and a few legacy locations, the city is nearly free of chain restaurants other than fast food. Now the $15 minimum wage is driving even the fast food places out of business. It seems like about half the McDonald's in the city have closed recently.
And as a result, SF still has a lot of quirky shops and mom and pop joints along it's major boulevards which continues to make SF a charming city despite the rising wealth.

That might be a little too extreme though what SF is doing, but that's sort of the point I'm trying to make. Legacy cities with established cultural landmarks and points of interest can be hurt by the sterile gentrification that takes place.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
The problem I have with gentrification is not the gentrification itself, but the fact that a city that needs gentrification has underlying problems in the first place. For example, great dense cities like Paris, Moscow, Istanbul, Cairo, etc. do not need gentification because they have always been great, big, dense cities with good architecture.

Gentrification can never replace the solid robust urbanization that built these cities in the first place. Real urban growth would be a high density version of the sprawling high growth suburbs of Houston rather than a handfull some luxury infill buildings downtown.
What do you think "solid robust urbanization" results from? Do you really just think Istanbul, Paris, et. al. have just existed for time immemorial? No, all great urban areas are the result of centuries if not millenia of gentrification cycles. In the past the ups and downs were usually determined by conquests, natural phenomena, or the fortunes of whatever empire governed the city. Today they are largely economic waves like the one that broke on America's rust belt over the last few decades.

But that's the point, these ups and downs are normal. Not only are they normal, but they are essential to the development of healthy, robust, cities. Do you think Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood which was built by Czech immigrants in the 1800's would be nearly as interesting as it is today if it hadn't fallen into disrepair, been picked up out of the gutter by the Mexican immigrant population, and well cared for until today when a new wave of intense development is sweeping the area updating buildings and filling in vacant lots? No, it's these changes over time that allow cities to accumulate varied and interesting quirks and details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
What does this even mean? I'm less versed in the other cities you named, but various Paris neighborhoods have gentrified multiple times in the history of Paris, and that's also true of Istanbul. Given that you appear to be wrong about those two cities I am going to guess you're wrong about the others, too. There haven't really been recent gentrifications in Cairo because it's been on a relative downswing since the British left so there was nothing to drive gentrification, which requires at least some sectors to be growing robustly to drive the economics of gentrification. If all sectors are in decline, it just can't happen.
Well that's just it, there are little ups and downs like most gentrification complaints arise from, then there are the ups and downs of empire. Most of the historical "great cities" have seen centuries of global ups and downs. How many times has Paris, for example, been on top of the world only to be surrounded and beseiged a few years later? In just the past 300 years it must have happened close to a dozen times. American cities have never had to deal with that. Many great cities were leveled in WWII, American cities were untouched. Yet we got the bright idea to deal with their "problems" (which were really just the effects of a synched depreciation cycle as I'll describe further below) by visiting destruction on our inner cities as much or more than war had wrought on our counterparts cities overseas.

The post-war destruction of inner city Chicago (for example, many American cities were hit the same way, Chicago is just such a prime case study of this) was very much on the scale of one of these global ups and downs. I think urban renewal, blight, and freeway projects probably destroyed more acres of urban fabric here than the Chicago Fire of 1871 did. Neighborhoods were less completely leveled, but the destruction was over a much much larger area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Gentrifcation hurts legacy cities more than newer cities IMO. One that has established ethnic neighborhoods with unique, ethnic shops and restaurants that make the area interesting in the first place so NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, and Boston. It's not going to hurt a sunbelt city that isn't very built up in the first place since gentrifcation brings new things and newly built density to a neighborhood that it never had in the first place.
Ah, but there is no need for gentrification in a young, sunbelt city. There will be decades down the road, but if a city is that new, so are the buildings. This gets at the real driver of "gentrification". Gentrification is really just a term for "the upwards leg of the depreciation cycle". All improvements to real estate depreciate over time, they just do, they wear out. The thing that caused American cities to be so devastated after WWII was that they were young cities (much like the Sun Belt is today). Midwestern American cities in particular were industrial boomtowns. Chicago, for example, built entire neighborhoods in less than a decade. That sounds great right?

Well the issue is when you build an entire neighborhood of two flats in a decade then they are all synced in the depreciation cycle. The roofs all go bad at the same time, the windows all get drafty, the building systems are all the same age and therefore go obsolete at the same time. A neighborhood that was impressively constructed and brand new in 1910 is all great up until about 1960 or so when all the buildings are now 50 years old and in need of major capital upgrades. That's not healthy, especially not when you have complete economic collapse of the industrial sector which employed all the people who these homes were built for.

So it's no wonder these "old" by American standards inner cities collapsed, they haven't had time to decouple the depreciation cycles of areas where everything was basically deteriorating in lockstep. That process takes time and it REQURIES gentrification. When an area begins to gentrify, more and more units are upgraded and their depreciation cycle is renewed. Instead of having 100% of buildings on a block basically in varying states of 1910 original condition, you suddenly have 20% in 2017 brand new condition. Maybe there's a few lots where buildings were torn down. Now you have maybe 10-20% more that are in 2017 new construction condition. Then there's a recession like 2008, 30% of the houses in the area go into foreclosure and are sold at firesale prices, investors snap them up and gut them. Now all of the sudden you have 20% of buildings on any block renovated between 2000 and 2008, 10-20% of buildings new construction, 30% of buildings renovated between 2010 and 2017, etc. You even have some older buildings that haven't been gutted since they were built holding out. Suddenly the depreciation mix of the area looks a lot healthier.

THAT is the process that, over 100's of years, creates healthy, MATURE, urban cores like Paris or London or Istanbul. In those cities you have 10, 100, 200, and 500 year old buildings that are in all sorts of different states of repair. As such they all have different users and rent levels and create a diverse and interesting urban environment.

The issue you have in a city like Chicago is that Chicago is brand spanking new as cities go and only a handful of neighborhoods have gone through more than one development cycle. Neighborhoods like Logan Square are just now completing their first gentrification cycle as buildings that have basically been untouched for 100 years have been being gutted en masse since 2000. this is necessary and ultimately helpful for Chicago as a whole. The more neighborhoods we stabilize in this manner, the more we can whittle away and neighborhoods with much more dismal prospects in the future.

I mean one of the things that fascinates me most about Chicago is what once was, the beautiful landmarks or even relatively plain jane housing stock we've just thrown in the trash heap. But what fascinates me even more is what once wasn't. I.e. huge vacant lots you see that make you go "damn, there must have been something awesome and huge there". Then you look it up and it was a 10,000 SF single story shitty warehouse with a massive loading yard or look it up and see it's always been vacant, no one ever bothered to build anything there. That's exactly my point, most American cities, even some of the most urban of American cities, are not at all mature. Chicago is not "done" yet. We have these sprawling industrial sites pock marking the entire city that, in any centuries old European city, would have been filled in centuries ago.

That's beautiful though, we have an opportunity here in Chicago to grow intelligently. We have more than enough room to accommodate everything that comes with growth and hopefully we can fill in those holes in the urban fabric over the next few generations. I often feel like one of those Chicago newsmen on a train to NYC the day after the fire, telling people "you will never again have such an opportunity for profit in your life as you have in the rebuilding of Chicago". And it's really true because Chicago's long late 20th century decay was really the second great fire, a prairie fire making room for new shoots the next spring.

This applies to many American cities and I think it is becoming more and more accepted by the day. The booms we are seeing in central US cities are as intense as the booms that built them in the first place. And that is unequivocally good.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:18 PM

what is the general level of alarm in NYC over "Vanishing New York" ?

good post above, but I do sense Chicago following in this path as well. Thankfully not completely. I will say I was in NYC in 2002 and then twice recently including a year ago, and I did notice some significant changes. Stayed in east village

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/08...cation/537126/

" Since 2007, the pseudonymous Moss has eulogized the disappearance of the people’s New York on his popular blog. Mom-and-pop diners, sagging-shelf book shops, leather bars, punk lairs, workhorse clinics and filthy SROs: Moss (recently unveiled as Griffin Hansbury, a social worker and psychoanalyst) has long borne witness to these spaces, lovingly and crankily chronicling their demise as rent hikes and development schemes put condos, chain stores, and corporate banks in their place.

Spinning his digital jeremiad into paper, Moss charts the waves of gentrification that turned an iconoclastic Manhattan into plasticine playground. Where immigrants, minorities, radicals, queers, runaways, and everyday workers once built an island of tolerance, grit, and creative verve, Moss shows that tourists, college bros, and the superrich now occupy a bland-ified fortress of consumption. "

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When a mom and pop joint is replaced by a boring chain restaurant, then yes, gentrifcation does hurt the city. That's the gist of what I'm trying to say.
How often does this happen, though? Is there some epidemic of Applebees replacing Jose's Taqueria? I seriously doubt it.

Many working class people actually prefer the boring chains, while the urban elites detest anything remotely alluding to suburban monotony. If you go to a Outback Steakhouse-type place in Brooklyn (they aren't common, but they exist) the clientele will be almost all working class nonwhites or immigrants.

In the rich, white neighborhoods, you barely see national chains. How many national chains are there in, say, Park Slope, even though two bedrooms now go for $1.5 million? There's Starbucks, and not much else. And even Starbucks is outnumbered by fancy mini-chains (Blue Bottle and the like) or local joints probably 10-to-1.

If they tried to open an Olive Garden there would probably be riots among the affluent, while lower-income nonwhites would likely flock there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
what is the general level of alarm in NYC over "Vanishing New York" ?

good post above, but I do sense Chicago following in this path as well. Thankfully not completely. I will say I was in NYC in 2002 and then twice recently including a year ago, and I did notice some significant changes. Stayed in east village
The East Village barely has any chains. The poorest NYC neighborhoods are like 10x more chain-oriented.

The East Village storefronts are mostly very narrow spaces in tenements, with limited basement storage. They're ideal for small restaurants, not superstores or megachains. And there are near-riots when any chain tries to open (there were huge protests when a Starbucks was announced on St. Marks Place).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:06 AM

Richard Florida changes his mind

"The story of London is the story of Austin, the Bay Area, Chicago, New York, Toronto, and Sydney. When the rich,..."

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/08/new-u...ichard-florida

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

You want a development story, check out Shenzhen China. The Chinese understand how to fix a housing crisis.

Meanwhile we are busy with NIMBYs, but the housing crisis can be fixed, just requires lax zoning regulations.

Why the U.S., a very rich country, can't provide affordable housing for the masses is a sacrilege.

Credit: Picture of the Day: Shenzhen, China, 30 Years Later

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
You want a development story, check out Shenzhen China. The Chinese understand how to fix a housing crisis.

Meanwhile we are busy with NIMBYs, but the housing crisis can be fixed, just requires lax zoning regulations.

Why the U.S., a very rich country, can't provide affordable housing for the masses is a sacrilege.
Just to be clear, housing in China is far less affordable than in the U.S.

Median incomes in China are lower than that of Mexico, yet urban housing is often more expensive than in the U.S.

And Hong Kong, which, OK, isn't really China, has probably the most absurd living conditions of any first world city on earth.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:52 PM

The US easily has more than enough vacant units to house all homeless people.

There are currently 17.5 million vacant housing unit in the US.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/EVACANTUSQ176N

The number of homeless varies but I believe is usually fewer than one million.

What we lack is public policy, not vacant homes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 7:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Or trailer homes. Social policy needs to change. The U.S. should not have homeless people. We have enough wealth or provide for the needy, but thats not what the family values people want.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 9:14 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
i don't know how much time you have spent in china, but as an american feels like a waking nightmare of globalism at times. yes theres still posh colonial quarters and commonwealthy hipster enclaves in shanghai, clean, sleek spaces in beijing, and comforting medieval country landscapes and bamboo forests but overall the thing feels like a human-grinding globalist colossus.

i do hear you on the homeless housing issue, though. superficially china appears to make more of an effort with stuff like that and the other things. i'd probably prefer a trailer over some of the crushingly inhuman landscapes ive seen on new chinese expressways, though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:59 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Doesn't Shenzhen have districts of very high density tenement housing from the 1990's? China still has a residency system that limits access to certain public services if you aren't officially a resident of that city? Also don't a lot of big employers in China still house their workforce in dormitories? Aren't a lot of workers migratory, supporting families living in more rural areas?

Never been there, and maybe these are just stereotypes that were more true 15 years ago than today. But still...

If anything maybe the Pearl River Delta should be even bigger, as insane as that sounds?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:09 AM

We have to deal with NIMBYs unfortunately, unless you wanna start giving up some of your civil liberties. A problem China doesn't have when building anything.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:54 AM
Category Five

My neighborhood is currently experiencing gentrification and so far I think it's a good thing despite what the locals think. The catalyst was the new police station that has sharply reduced crime in the area. Houses are being renovated (including ours) and look far better than before. This then brings in more "diverse" neighbors (ie. not minorities). In my opinion this is BETTER, I don't like balkanized neighborhoods like in Chicago/DC. Heck I would welcome the more diverse food options. Soon a Roscoe's will open up and people are mad since it's not "ethnic." But I welcome it because well you can't have 27 taco shops. Bring in a pho shop and it'll be perfect!

There are some negatives though, a market and two grocery stores were replaced by a chain grocer and 3 99 cent stores. Then again, the market and the stores were already in their dead spirals before they got replaced.

As far as rising housing prices go, well we live in one of the best cities in the US and we can't keep people from moving here. The demand will always be there. If you want to keep renting costs down, densify the main avenues with some midrises. Supply and demand.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Or trailer homes. Social policy needs to change. The U.S. should not have homeless people. We have enough wealth or provide for the needy, but thats not what the family values people want.
There is more than enough funding for shelters in the U.S. It's mental health facilities, that was cut during the Reagan administration, and supportive housing that we need.

The issue of homelessness is much more nuanced than the availability of housing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
There is more than enough funding for shelters in the U.S. It's mental health facilities, that was cut during the Reagan administration, and supportive housing that we need.

The issue of homelessness is much more nuanced than the availability of housing.
Can we get over that myth? If Reagan did this, why haven't Clinton or Obama done anything about it for their combined 16 years in office? Also, not EVERYTHING on earth is the responsibility of the Federal government, a lot of these things are done at the state level.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Can we get over that myth? If Reagan did this, why haven't Clinton or Obama done anything about it for their combined 16 years in office?
Because of the corporatist party that Clinton and Obama belong to and neoliberalism?

There's also the myth that somehow Democrats are not really just the other side of the same corporately-funded coin that the Republicans are on.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Because of the corporatist party that Clinton and Obama belong to and neoliberalism?

There's also the myth that somehow Democrats are not really just the other side of the same corporately-funded coin that the Republicans are on.
Institutionalization was done away with because it was a horrible, ineffective, and inhumane system:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/03/07...ental-illness/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:28 PM
Never Dell

It's possible to do it better than that. The current system "protects" people's right to live in the gutter. Bad for them and really bad for our cities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:45 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I guess I must be hopelessly middle class because I like a mix of chains and local places. Some chains are useful or good(there's probably a reason why they grew), while I of course always like interesting local places too. Having a few chain stores might be a sign a neighborhood is healthy, because national companies are willing to take a chance on it. Having too many chains on the other hand suggests a lack of entrepreneurial opportunity.

It depends on the types of chains, too. There's the stalwarts, like CVS, Starbucks, etc, there upscale ones that suggest wealth, like the Gap, low end ones that suggest poverty like Ross Dress for Less, etc.

You have to ask why a chain got so popular to begin with. Case in point, Starbucks is actually pretty satisfactory in regions where indie coffee shops were not common before, like say, small town Texas. People liked it enough that it expanded to meet demand.

The chains I don't like are the "brand portfolio" restaurant type places that were invented in a boardroom, had money thrown at them, and owned by some private equity firm subsidiary with a goofy name like "AlteriX Dining Dynamics". The ones that back in the 1990's would have rusty tubas on the dining room walls for "flair". You know exactly what places I am talking about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions