HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
they were getting destroyed in Instagramm comments yesterday. many people upset they kicked out skinners for a "hipster hot dogs". they did have some supporters as they offer vegan (boiled carrot?) and gluten free options.
I wouldn't say "destroyed", the positive comments outnumber the negative about 4 to 1. Skinners was such terrible quality, won't be missed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:58 PM

Interesting article on Food Halls as the next big thing:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foo...nada-1.5451268

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:03 PM

There are hot dogs and there are hot dogs... just throwing a wiener in a pot of hot water and then onto a bun is something most people can easily do at home. A little flair and creativity is probably going to be more interesting to most people. Like those Japa-dog knockoffs at the Japanese place at The Forks... they're good, they're something most people wouldn't come up with on their own.

The Forks got it right on this one.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love a hotdog stand hotdog from time to time. But thats not appropriate for the main hall at the Forks. I think the Wienerpeg hot dogs look good and actually aren't over the top in terms of "hipster" hotdogs. Lol, some of those comments were so embarrassing (for the people who made them). People still complaining that something is "hipster" is kind of annoying in 2020.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There are hot dogs and there are hot dogs... just throwing a wiener in a pot of hot water and then onto a bun is something most people can easily do at home. A little flair and creativity is probably going to be more interesting to most people. Like those Japa-dog knockoffs at the Japanese place at The Forks... they're good, they're something most people wouldn't come up with on their own.

The Forks got it right on this one.
I'm surprised they allowed a hot dog place with Kyu Grill as one of their tenants. Kyu's whole thing is japadogs.

The Forks used to be really aggressive about protecting its vendors from same-category competition (I remember at one point they wouldn't allow an ice cream cart way over near the Winnipeg sign or something, because it interfered with the ice cream place in the Forks' exclusivity.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:46 PM

Exclusivity things are kind of trash IMO. "We don't want any competition so will only come here if we're exclusive." For hot dog stands, or ice cream. Come. on.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:22 PM

Read the Free Press comments on the Weinerpeg story. They’re hilarious. The loss of Skinners is being attributed to a giant conspiracy conducted by the Forks - ignoring the fact that Weinerpeg is run by a Winnipeg entrepreneur who locally sources ingredients, and who is more in touch with changing tastes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not surprised on Carbone. The whole made to order and fast fired pizza thing is a fairly hot trend in food. It was just a matter of time until it hit Winnipeg. Carbone was first out the gate with it but they poorly executed the concept leaving the door open for others to grab the local mind share in that market.
There has been a Carbone Fast Fired "opening soon" sign in a space in the food hall at 201 Portage for over a year now. They need to take that sign down as its becoming a joke.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I'm surprised they allowed a hot dog place with Kyu Grill as one of their tenants. Kyu's whole thing is japadogs.

The Forks used to be really aggressive about protecting its vendors from same-category competition (I remember at one point they wouldn't allow an ice cream cart way over near the Winnipeg sign or something, because it interfered with the ice cream place in the Forks' exclusivity.
There's a pretty big difference between the traditional hot dogs at Wienerpeg and the japadogs at Kyu, though. I'd say that's why they allowed it. The people who want an old-fashioned hot dog wouldn't be going to Kyu anyway.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 1:30 AM
Winnipeg

This article might explain the “furious” reaction of some people regarding Wienerdog’s opening at the Forks.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...ove-mediocrity

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
This article might explain the “furious” reaction of some people regarding Wienerdog’s opening at the Forks.

Interesting article.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:54 PM
Winnipeg

I can't help but think how much local newspapers might have exaggerated this event. Sometimes the news cycle makes things worse.

Anyways, living in a large city always means dissonant opinions so it's not a big a deal.

As long as the Forks keep silent for sone time and be careful of what they say for some time this will likely be forgotten, and the Forks might have a larger customer base because of a hotdog shop with higher quality, in my opinion.

Last edited by EspionNoir; Feb 12, 2020 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:31 AM

CBC MB headline yesterday was "Hipster wiener shop moves into 'home of the world famous hot dog' at The Forks"

today headline is Modern wiener shop moves into 'home of the world famous hot dog' at The Forks

they must've got backlash from the hipster workers there!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 4:32 AM

Quote:

This article does an excellent job of explaining the baffling defense of Paul Maurice's contract extension by many Jets fans.

Also, Canadians' inexplicable appetite for Tim Hortons coffee.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 1:39 PM

Apparently Tim Horton's has fallen on some hard times:

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/busi...anadian-again/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
I can't help but think how much local newspapers might have exaggerated this event. Sometimes the news cycle makes things worse.

Anyways, living in a large city always means dissonant opinions so it's not a big a deal.
The local media outlets really love to turn some minor thing into a huge deal. The biggest example of that was Justin Trudeau's visit to O'Doughnuts. One guy on Twitter with like a dozen followers griped about it online, and then Global tried to make it sound like there was some kind of nationwide backlash over it.

Same thing with the Skinners situation. They're trying to make a story out of nothing. Elisha Dacey of Global was gloating about it online which was in very poor taste. I mean, I guess she's happy that she broke the doughnut and wiener stories, but those stories are basically just pitting people against each other for the sake of clicks. It's no different than the schoolyard antics we all remember when someone would try to goad kids into fighting each other... "wellll did you hear what they said about YOU????" I wish the local news media was responsible enough to not actively promote conflict... but I suppose when you don't have the resources to engage in real journalism, this is what you are reduced to.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The local media outlets really love to turn some minor thing into a huge deal. The biggest example of that was Justin Trudeau's visit to O'Doughnuts. One guy on Twitter with like a dozen followers griped about it online, and then Global tried to make it sound like there was some kind of nationwide backlash over it.

Same thing with the Skinners situation. They're trying to make a story out of nothing. Elisha Dacey of Global was gloating about it online which was in very poor taste. I mean, I guess she's happy that she broke the doughnut and wiener stories, but those stories are basically just pitting people against each other for the sake of clicks. It's no different than the schoolyard antics we all remember when someone would try to goad kids into fighting each other... "wellll did you hear what they said about YOU????" I wish the local news media was responsible enough to not actively promote conflict... but I suppose when you don't have the resources to engage in real journalism, this is what you are reduced to.
AMEN brother!! TESTIFY!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:03 PM

The Skinners/Weinerpeg story has some news value.

When the Forks essentially forced out Skinners it was newsworthy. It wasn't about what you think of the food at Skinners. It was about the fate of what had become an iconic restaurant at the Forks. Skinners was there from the beginning and was paying their rent while every other original tenant eventually faded away. The Forks had some financial struggles during the earlier years but were kept afloat because they had the rights to the parkade at Portage Place.

When a longstanding business closes, it usually generates a news story. There have been stories about places like Pete's Place, Kelekis, Barley Brothers, Sherbrooke Deli and others. When the place closes and it isn't the choice of the owners, it garners more attention. Say what you will about what you think of the food at Skinners, but it appears that the business was still making enough money for the owner to want to continue.

The Forks refusing a hot dog place because it didn't fit in with their vision and then replacing it with another hot dog place does have a certain irony to it. That is newsworthy.

What I find funny is that a few years ago Dingoes Wild and Crazy Dogs relocated to the Forks from Corydon. For those who don't remember, it was a gourmet hot dog place (I think it was part of WOW hospitality). It went under and Skinners outlasted it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:25 PM

Times change and tastes change. Skinners has been doing the same thing for decades, the guy behind Weinerpeg has been involved in a number of ventures in the City and showing that a hot dog can be more than a boiled weiner with mustard and relish.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 6:55 PM

Didn't we hear Skinners refused to pay increased rents so passed on the space? This is basic business practice. Sign lease for X years. When lease is up, you can sign new lease or move on.

The hysteria was, again, driven by people looking for a story at first. Then they found another suitor.

And so what if Skinners was "pushed out".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan