HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
In my opinion, winnipeg is a big enough city that typically whatever I want I can get. If I want cool wine I go to oxbow, if I want a cocktail I’ll go to forth or langside grocery. Not cheap places but they shouldn’t be. Not everything should be affordable. Cool cities are expensive. That being said cool cities also have their cheap gems, and Winnipeg certainly has those too.

I think Winnipegs dining scene generally reflects its population pretty well. Montreal and Toronto are the best, then Vancouver, then the Alberta cities and then Winnipeg. The exception is Ottawa, I find the dining and bar scene in Ottawa to be very bland despite a sizeable population. I might just have had bad luck but I’m usually pretty good at finding the kind of spots I’m interested in.
Exactly – the same people that complain of "high" prices also probably complain when restaurants close due to costs, you can't have it both ways. They probably also don't travel much to see how good we have it here.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 11:23 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

$7.45 for a milkshake at Juniors now. That was like a $2 increase since the last time I was there. No smaller portion size is available.

The place was empty. No one can afford their prices anymore.

I walked out as she was making it.

Maybe its time they went under.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 11:47 PM

^^^Gold topping on that or something? That price is ridiculous. What does a burger cost now?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 12:26 AM

They can't be hurting too badly for business. The Freep reported that the second most frequently ordered Skip the Dishes item in Winnipeg is the Junior's Fat Boy!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^^Gold topping on that or something? That price is ridiculous. What does a burger cost now?

They're advertising 2 for $9 (without the cheese).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 12:43 PM

Over the holidays, I learned that the Five Guys on Pembina sold shakes. Normally don't go that far on Pembina. Wonder if its the same as in the US.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:45 PM
There is always a way

I've been going to junior's a decent amount recently. It sounds expensive except that you pay almost as much in a fast food joint these days. That milkshake story sounds a little bit pricey but if all you want is more food than you can handle at a low price its really hard to beat.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
$7.45 for a milkshake at Juniors now. That was like a $2 increase since the last time I was there. No smaller portion size is available.

The place was empty. No one can afford their prices anymore.

I walked out as she was making it.

Maybe its time they went under.
I go there for lunch with friends from time to time.

We split the 2 fatboys for $9, a large fry and a couple of canned drinks. Works out to like $8/each.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:00 PM

I eat out about 5 times a week, and I have found that over the last 5 years prices have gone up about 30-40% in most places. It is hard to find lunch under $10 now. Strangely enough, fast food is not the cheapest. If you follow the lunch specials it can be cheaper to eat at casual chain restaurants like BPs or hole-in-the-wall restaurants (diners or ethnic restaurants).

I don't know if the mom and pop places are eating up cost increases while Subway or whatever pegs their prices to their costs. But their seems to be some inconsistencies right now. $11 for a 6" sub with a soup and a drink or $9 for a full plate of "Chinese" food?

One day I will learn how to make a bologna sandwich.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:13 PM

Oh for the days of the 99 cent Whopper...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:18 PM

Speaking of overpriced burgers, went to the Hargrave Market at lunch today. The burger place was $10 for the single burger, which is looking at how small it was on peoples trays it was a pass for me. Got a brisket sandwhich with fries ad miss browns. $16. Again it was a fine sandwhich but higher priced, but expected for what they're going for. Regardless of the prices it was absolutely packed. A real yuppie feel to the crowd. Sure seems like they're taking business more away from area restaurants rather than area food courts judging from the clientiele I usually see at either.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I've been going to junior's a decent amount recently. It sounds expensive except that you pay almost as much in a fast food joint these days. That milkshake story sounds a little bit pricey but if all you want is more food than you can handle at a low price its really hard to beat.
Well, next time I'll just order a hamburger, skip the soft drinks (bad for my diabetes anyways), ditto for the fries.

To drink I'll just have them fill up some plain water from the city tap.

That still comes to $6.50 or so just for the burger.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:39 PM

[QUOTE=plrh;8789594]I eat out about 5 times a week,[/QUOT4E]

That's too much, even if you've got a solid high paying job. I lost 10 pounds (and kept it OFF) going high fat low carb in 2019.

Quote:
One day I will learn how to make a bologna sandwich.
I've been on my own since Feb. '89. Didn't have no YouTube to help me learn to cook like the children these days.

Started buying saurkraut recently, and I love Reuben sandwiches. So instead of finding a place that makes 'em, I'm gonna learn to make and eat one at home.
  • Rye bread (toasted)
  • Saurkraut (drain the juice first)
  • Some sort of sandwich meat (corned beef is best)
  • Cheese (whatever floats yer boat)
DONE!

Saurkraut (in moderation) is good for the immune (cough) (cough) system.

America's Test Kitchen,
https://www.youtube.com/user/americastestkitchen

almost any cooking show on YouTube is good. Skip past the "cooking competition" shows. Those are there just for the ratings.

This guy I've been watching recently, Kent Rollins of TX. A real cowboy type shows how to grill outdoors. He should be on PBS. Nice to watch if you're alone/single. In his career he cooked for on site work groups. He cooks more at a time than I could eat alone.
https://www.youtube.com/user/krollins57

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Honestly though, minus 529 Wellington, Hy's, Fort Garry and such... is there that much of a sustainable market for the most expensive tastes? Unless everyone started roaring down Portage in McLarens since I left Winnipeg two years ago... theres a sizable majority of the population, that can't afford the caviar and the expensive goodies. If Winnipegs scene wants to thrive on a more qualitative level, they need to have cheaper attractions and offerings. Or at least, moderately priced attractions, and cheap food & drinks.

As much as I hate how CanadInns shit all over the Winnipeg scene... someone in that company apparently had brains, because they did make cheap offerings of food and drinks at TYC, great atmosphere, food service too. $5 cover and mass marketing as well... and the place was always packed. Which is ironic, because the second they decided to remodel it, TYC became a joke. Much like every other CanadInns experiment...

But suffice to say, Winnipeg has the cheap part down, and its actually AFFORDABLE to go out back home, versus Calgarys versace-esque night scene bullshit... the only thing Winnipeg bars and nightclubs need to work on, is quality.

And for obvious reasons (example: Opera shootings and stabbings, the one guy shot 12 times in the bar down McDermot or whatever, the shotgun blast in that one bar off Ness and Sturgeon, etc etc) - SAFETY needs to improve. They could pack a bar with half a dozen musicians, Showtek and all - but if people can just waltz in with a MAC-10 and level out the dancefloor, then how can quality be acheived, if the bars aren't even remotely safe?!?! Quality in Winnipeg bars scene can be achieved, but they need to figure out how to make it SAFE, and AFFORDABLE. They figure those two out, without making any quality cuts, and voila - problem solved.

Oh, also, someone should shut down the Windsor. After WPS keeps finding people in there with industrial amounts of meth and sawed-off shotguns, CONSTANTLY, I kind of thought the MLCC would take action. But then again, Manny only cares when someone gets hurt... which is a complete 180 from "Serving it Safe" and him basically having crocodile tears, over the plight of his employees. Which all of Winnipeg SSP can agree upon, is complete bullshit.
In years past I worked for a few of the Canad clubs and I think something they didnt really understand was the nostalgia and personality of the longer standing bars. They over-night turning over into some shiny new, Vegas-ripped off clubs stripped away any sort of emotional connection people had.

When I was a teen, everyone's older sibling went to Scandals (or Monty's or the Palladium) for their 18th birthday. Everyone in my group counted down the days. No one counted down the days to go to The Beach.

I find it funny Cowboys is open Fri & Sat at 9pm when back in the day Stardust or Boogie Nights was open 5 nights a week. Pembina Hwy used to be great for affordable bars. Whats there now?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 1:39 AM

RecRoom at Seasons is now hiring for a February opening

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 5:05 AM

bar scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
In years past I worked for a few of the Canad clubs and I think something they didnt really understand was the nostalgia and personality of the longer standing bars. They over-night turning over into some shiny new, Vegas-ripped off clubs stripped away any sort of emotional connection people had.

When I was a teen, everyone's older sibling went to Scandals (or Monty's or the Palladium) for their 18th birthday. Everyone in my group counted down the days. No one counted down the days to go to The Beach.

I find it funny Cowboys is open Fri & Sat at 9pm when back in the day Stardust or Boogie Nights was open 5 nights a week. Pembina Hwy used to be great for affordable bars. Whats there now?
Well, society has changed and not necessarily for the better. many people are on Skip ordering food, Uber eats, door dash and not going to bars with tough drinking driving laws so they are on Tinder,Lava Life, Grindr etc..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 7:45 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

CanadInns really shit the bed, on the Winnipeg bar scene, crushing any and all soul & connections for their bars... it kept most of us younger people at TYC, Stereo and Area with something to do & some social life, along with business and some brand loyalty. Then next thing we knew, the clubs disappeared, all replaced with shitty little Taverns, and last time I checked - most of the people who used to go there, are all now either social hermits, being on WPS radars, jail, drugs, etc etc... and that was WITH the advent of cellphones, social media, Tinder, etc etc. The closure of CanadInns bars and rising cellphone use, basically annihilated Winnipeg nightlife for anyone my age (20s).

CanadInns could've used it to their advantage. Instead they ran it into the ground... the clubs at least kept some of us out of trouble. But without anywhere to go, some just went off the rails, literally and figuratively, and what was effectively an outlet to keep the younger Winnipeggers busy & at least having some fun in their lives - is now, just a shit excuse of a sorryass brand, that basically flushed out a bar scene & sent their former customers, into all sorts of bullshit, while there was NO attractive alternatives left in Winnipeg (minus the Pal), leaving the scene out to dry & accelerating the destruction of the nightclub life for young Winnipeggers, as no other attractive, original and popular bars/nightclubs came to absorb what was once Canads clientele.

They're all idiots. Every single higher-up at that company, is a complete idiot. If they had ANY brains... they could've at LEAST kept TYC. Stereo was very much alive too. Area, meh... but still. What a joke. The young people in Winnipeg now? They all just stay home. MAYBE Osborne, or an underground rave, but never out to the clubs and bars. And I blame CanadInns for that, because if they didn't shit all over the nightlife scene, things could've at least been salvagable for Winnipegs bars and clubs.

As for Pembina... theres still some affordable bars, but more towards the karaoke side of bars, everything else that remains isn't affordable, or the best to begin with.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 7:59 AM
Winnipeg

I self identify as a young person and I've just gone to Little Brown Jug near Chinatown in downtown today, with 7 friends......

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Death of the bar scene:

1. Minimum drink prices
2. Social media

I was very much part of the scene pre and post the minimum drink pricing, and it was an instant turning point.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 4:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Death of the bar scene:

1. Minimum drink prices
2. Social media

I was very much part of the scene pre and post the minimum drink pricing, and it was an instant turning point.
When did the minimum price come in? I'm guessing it was an act of social engineering and not anything actually helpful
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan