HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I always wonder when I hear move the rail yards out of Winnipeg do the RM's to the east or west of Winnipeg want to have them?

If they are stunting growth in Winnipeg what will they do the future development in the RM's of Rosser, Springfield, East and West St. Paul,Macdonald, and Tache just off of the top of my head depending on how the mainlines get moved.

When the rail yards were first put in Winnipeg it was all empty land and the city grew around them. The same is going to happen around the relocated yards in the future.
I would bet they will be clamoring to attract the rail yards. Big time construction dollars, long term good paying jobs. Tax dollar base. Spin off service businesses typically locate near rail yards. Big wins.

The City would be stupid to let them move from that perspective.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 9:08 PM

Would the bridge actually need to be torn down for AT use? Could it not just be shored up and used as is considering the weight/ground pressure/vibration would be reduced by several orders of magnitude compared to auto traffic? It really isn't worth replacing at what is probably near a billion dollars with inflation/interest rates and would take a lot of funding away from projects that would serve way more people, like RT or the water treatment plant.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 10:14 PM

Like I said the City decided this fate years ago when tehy realized the costs and complications. Doing anything over that railyard will be difficult. Never mind the very long spans they are proposing.

If they could leave it and just rehab the deck for AT purposes, that'd be ideal. Really you could do nothing and just close it to vehicles.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Like I said the City decided this fate years ago when tehy realized the costs and complications. Doing anything over that railyard will be difficult. Never mind the very long spans they are proposing.

If they could leave it and just rehab the deck for AT purposes, that'd be ideal. Really you could do nothing and just close it to vehicles.
The last bridge that was switched to solely AT was the old Disraeli, now about five people a day use it and the rest use the sidewalk on the new span, so is switching it to AT worth the cost and effort?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
No doubt this is true. But I do wonder about pedestrian and cyclist numbers. I would bet that many more pedestrians rely on the Arlington Bridge than the St. James Bridge. Could a less expensive, AT bridge replace Arlington? Could be a potential compromise?
Almost every time I've driven over the bridge (which isn't very many times) I've seen a few people crossing on foot or bike. Just my two cents.
Small stain

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 10:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

When I used to live in Garden City, Arlington Bridge was my commute to work. Everyday I see people walking or biking on that bridge, and when the bridge closes for repairs, it's near instant chaos for traffic.

Hell, a few years ago, my uncle had his van ran out of fuel on the bridge. It caused quite the delay for a good hour, and I had to rescue him with a jerry can This isn't during rush hour either, but on a clear summer evening.

A bridge with only two lanes of traffic, one each way, is something that is "fragile" where even a minor incident can trigger chaos on that bridge, but it also means that this crossing is vital for the area.

It does have its quirks, but it's also time for it to be replaced.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:18 PM

I love the Arlington street bridge. I hope it can be saved. Was over there recently and took some pics.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 9:40 PM

Maybe it could be converted into a pedestrian and cycling bridge?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:58 AM

I got some info from the people who closed down Arlington Bridge. The corrosion is just too much at this point, which i think we all know is obvious. The city moved quickly once the report came in from the consultants that they could no longer approve keeping the bridge open.

Also regarding reuse of the bridge for pedestrian purposes. The super strucure will need to come down. No saving it. The piers have no reinforcing, but possibly could be reused. Would likely be easier to just build a new ped bridge if the city wanted to.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
I got some info from the people who closed down Arlington Bridge. The corrosion is just too much at this point, which i think we all know is obvious. The city moved quickly once the report came in from the consultants that they could no longer approve keeping the bridge open.

Also regarding reuse of the bridge for pedestrian purposes. The super strucure will need to come down. No saving it. The piers have no reinforcing, but possibly could be reused. Would likely be easier to just build a new ped bridge if the city wanted to.
Is there a risk to its continued use in its current state for pedestrians and cyclists? Or is this just about the weight and wear from trucks and other traffic

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The last bridge that was switched to solely AT was the old Disraeli, now about five people a day use it and the rest use the sidewalk on the new span, so is switching it to AT worth the cost and effort?
I know you are generally against spending on AT projects, but how could you possibly know how many people use the Disreali ped bridge?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
I know you are generally against spending on AT projects, but how could you possibly know how many people use the Disreali ped bridge?
I work shift work and I see very few people using the Disreali AT bridge between the hours of 5:50am and 11:30pm. Maybe its used more overnight

What I do encounter on a regular basis is bikes in the curb lane on the vehicle bridge struggling against the incline(s) and people walking on the east side sidewalk of the bridge.

It may be where the AT bridge ends on the south that discourages people from using it on a regular basis for walking and cycling.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 9:17 PM

Re: Arlington. I dont believe collapse is imminent. Maybe theyll let peds cross. I didnt get into much detail in my quick convo.

Re: disraeli. I do not underatand why people ride up the vehicle bridge and not use the AT bridge. It easier and shorter. If the City is able to implement some type of core AT route connecting disraeli to the wider elmwood/ek area, it would be used more IMO. The route on the south side via Annabella is actually pretty convinient. You can get to the path along the river south of Higgins and down to Waterfront. IIRC there is an AT bridge identified from Annabella accross the Whittier park.

"Nobody walks there because there's no sidewalks. There no sidewalks because nobody walks there" type thing. If only Winnipeg could be like Amsterdam and officially prioritize AT infrastructure.

Last edited by bomberjet; Dec 10, 2023 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I work shift work and I see very few people using the Disreali AT bridge between the hours of 5:50am and 11:30pm. Maybe its used more overnight

What I do encounter on a regular basis is bikes in the curb lane on the vehicle bridge struggling against the incline(s) and people walking on the east side sidewalk of the bridge.

It may be where the AT bridge ends on the south that discourages people from using it on a regular basis for walking and cycling.
Are you watching the bridge for 17 hours a day? Weird hobby, but okay.

https://i.imgur.com/0qIaFEY.png this is from strava's heatmap. Which yes, is only people who record their rides. But it shows that the AT bridge gets used a fair amount.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Are you watching the bridge for 17 hours a day? Weird hobby, but okay.

https://i.imgur.com/0qIaFEY.png this is from strava's heatmap. Which yes, is only people who record their rides. But it shows that the AT bridge gets used a fair amount.
No but I have weird hours at work that have me coming and going over it at non set times and can see if anybody is walking or riding over it when I go by as a body on the bridge walking or riding would stand out.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:40 PM

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...240125(RM)C-75

When reviewing the council agenda for Jan. 25, there is a motion:

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the cost for the replacement of the Arlington Bridge be referred to the 2024-2027 Multi-Year Budget Review Process.

From the standing policy committee meeting January 9. There is some discussion in the video, including repairing the existing bridge, maybe for ped use only, emergency use. Study is ongoing and is expected to have some results in Feb. Talking about the tunnel again.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...40109(RM)PW-37

Brad N the City engineering manager, structures guy, is the one explaining the scenarios in the video. Politicians talking about tunneling under the english channel lol ffs.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...240125(RM)C-75

When reviewing the council agenda for Jan. 25, there is a motion:

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the cost for the replacement of the Arlington Bridge be referred to the 2024-2027 Multi-Year Budget Review Process.

From the standing policy committee meeting January 9. There is some discussion in the video, including repairing the existing bridge, maybe for ped use only, emergency use. Study is ongoing and is expected to have some results in Feb.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...40109(RM)PW-37
As an aside, I really like how accessible the city makes its meeting agendas. I obviously can't attend a 6 hour meeting as an interested citizen but the city does an excellent job digitizing it's business. It's good for democracy imo.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:48 PM

Agreed. Makes it easy. to hear what they're talking about.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:49 AM

What would've been smart, is that they could connect McGregor and Sherbrooke to offload the traffic for Logan and McPhillips Ave, when the Arlington bridge is ready to be replaced. We know it's overdue to be replaced now.

I'm just making a statement that actually makes sense.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 2:34 PM

They looked at it but had no money for either. Chose BRT instead.

I don't know where they'll find money for this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan