HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am sorry if my observations as a business traveler to Regina has ingnited a "dish each city" debate. That was definitely not my intent. It was just an honest, albeit only my opinion that there are currently fewer options after office hours to keep and entertain people in downtown Regina. My hope is that both our cities strive to improve their downtown and core areas. I posted the comment, as I agreed with most of RobD's comments and it was to encourage Regina civic politicians to continue to do more!

I fully acknowledge Saskatoon has the same (maybe worse) social challenges around homelessness and poverty and addicitions. My post was merely an observation and experience of the concentration of restaurants, pubs, lounges, music venues, etc. that exist in a fairly tight urban area in Saskatoon.

I regret making the post, and hope that posters on both Regina and Saskatoon threads can continue to be supportive and positive in encouraging the growth and improvement of both cities.

Ok....I am done. My apologies and let's move on.....
I see no reason to apologize for having an opinion based on your observations. Both cities are similar and yet different. Unfortunately there are many social problems that do not paint either city in the best light. It is going to take a coordinated effort from all levels of government to work toward making both cities the best that they can be. This is a construction forum not a combat zone! Can we all just try to get along and respect differences of opinion?

Last edited by RobD; Mar 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:32 PM

Who else has a 300 acre lake near downtown surrounded by 2000 acres of Parkland it is unheard of. It is such a beautiful beautiful area with all the Office workers working down there. It really is an extension of downtown people tend to forget the greatness of Wascana centre and, one of the most beautiful legislature buildings in the country , Regina is surely blessed .

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
Who else has a 300 acre lake near downtown surrounded by 2000 acres of Parkland it is unheard of. It is such a beautiful beautiful area with all the Office workers working down there. It really is an extension of downtown people tend to forget the greatness of Wascana centre and, one of the most beautiful legislature buildings in the country , Regina is surely blessed .
This was never in question. I spent many summer days sun tanning on the lush lawns of Wascana Park. It is a truly beautiful man made creation thanks in part to the vision of Thomas Mawson. Not all of his plans were implemented. Some that were include Victoria Park, the street grid system into the core area and the crescents west of Albert Street (Angus Crescent and Leopold Crescent).

https://search.saskarchives.com/city...homas-h-mawson

International Works:
In 1908 he won a competition to lay out the Peace Palace gardens at The Hague. He also advised on the development of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in the United States. In 1912 Mawson toured several Canadian cities, beginning in Halifax and ending up in Victoria, British Columbia. As well as giving talks, he proposed several (unaccepted) designs including for Wascana Centre in Regina, Brockton Point lighthouse, Coal Harbour and Lost Lagoon in Vancouver, and urban design plans for Banff and downtown Calgary. Mawson's vision for Calgary, had it been implemented, would have changed what was then a dusty prairie town, into a city of the City Beautiful movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hayton_Mawson

Last edited by RobD; Mar 25, 2024 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:13 PM

Luiggi's still hasn't been torn down, but the truck had been removed from the roof when I went past there yesterday. It looks like they have had someone watching the site 24/7 since the explosion. There is always someone in a vehicle parked beside the fence.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 5:24 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
Luiggi's still hasn't been torn down, but the truck had been removed from the roof when I went past there yesterday. It looks like they have had someone watching the site 24/7 since the explosion. There is always someone in a vehicle parked beside the fence.
That's odd since when I drove past it 2 days ago a saw a large pile of rubble. Unless you and I have completely different views on the term "torn down".

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
That's odd since when I drove past it 2 days ago a saw a large pile of rubble. Unless you and I have completely different views on the term "torn down".
Pile of rubble does describe what was left after the explosion. But its pretty much in the same state since January, in addition to the truck I just noticed in this picture that they took the sign down too. I think that shed used to be behind the building too.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:07 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:00 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Pile of rubble does describe what was left after the explosion. But its pretty much in the same state since January, in addition to the truck I just noticed in this picture that they took the sign down too. I think that shed used to be behind the building too.
I guess I never drove up to it. I just saw the pile of rubble that's visible from Albert Street. My bad.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Breathtaking views of Regina! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Breathtaking views of Regina! Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome are you able to post some screenshots that would be great. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:05 PM

There is something special about night scenes in the winter....they always look magical with lights reflecting off the white snow....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:09 AM

I was passing through Glencairn and progress at the east pumping station caught my eye. Hard to tell from that viewing spot, but it might be the pumping station and one reservoir on the left and the second reservoir getting started on the right.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:36 AM

Quote:
You’re welcome are you able to post some screenshots that would be great. Thank you.
Source:

https://www.tiktok.com/@anthony.urso..._t=8l0jIurd7zB

https://www.tiktok.com/@anthony.urso..._t=8l0j24dKbCv

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 12:03 AM

Thank you so much for the photos

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 8:18 PM

If you click on the first post in this thread you get a nice photo tour of downtown from 2010. Many parts are unchanged, but it is also a great time capsule.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...owntown.11673/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 9:52 PM

https://imgur.com/a/Vu4mN58

The concrete silos at the Cargill plant are getting taller with the silo filling equipment starting to get installed. Last week I noticed that the SaskPower storage yard in the warehouse district was empty, it looks like they moved all the transformers and wire coils out to the GTH site.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:05 PM

I noticed Winnipeg has an Unbuilt Winnipeg thread. Any interest here? We could post renders and info about the pie in the sky projects that didn't quite get there. I am sure there are many, such as Chateau Qu'Appelle, War Museum, Lt. Governor's Residence, Rose Street Tower, Capital Pointe, New Central Library Tower and on and on.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
https://imgur.com/a/Vu4mN58

The concrete silos at the Cargill plant are getting taller with the silo filling equipment starting to get installed. Last week I noticed that the SaskPower storage yard in the warehouse district was empty, it looks like they moved all the transformers and wire coils out to the GTH site.
Thank you for posting I’m wonder what the final height will be.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I noticed Winnipeg has an Unbuilt Winnipeg thread. Any interest here? We could post renders and info about the pie in the sky projects that didn't quite get there. I am sure there are many, such as Chateau Qu'Appelle, War Museum, Lt. Governor's Residence, Rose Street Tower, Capital Pointe, New Central Library Tower and on and on.
Yes, make a thread, for this would be kind of fun .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan