HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 6:04 PM

I was just in Vancouver over the long weekend and travelled much of the Skytrain system. I marveled at the number of construction cranes up EVERYWHERE, especially the ISNANE amount of highrise construction at King George Hub in Surrey. So I found this spreadsheet that shows the current count of construction actively in use in Greater Vancouver:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aRA/edit#gid=0

Does anyone know how many are active in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 6:14 PM
What could go wrong?

As far as I know (Tower Cranes only) - 3 active (student res on Pembina, NEWPCC and Exchange) 2 in-active (Sutton Place) - we don't use tower cranes like other cities though. Here we build 15 storey buildings with crawler cranes where other cities use tower cranes to build 4 storey buildings. There are probably 5 or 6 very large crawler cranes in use in the city that in other municipalities would be tower cranes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 10:30 PM

I guess we just don't have much of an inventory of tower cranes.

According to the spreadsheet, 95 highrises are under construction (using tower cranes of course) in greater Vancouver. A completely differently world over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
As far as I know (Tower Cranes only) - 3 active (student res on Pembina, NEWPCC and Exchange) 2 in-active (Sutton Place) - we don't use tower cranes like other cities though. Here we build 15 storey buildings with crawler cranes where other cities use tower cranes to build 4 storey buildings. There are probably 5 or 6 very large crawler cranes in use in the city that in other municipalities would be tower cranes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I guess we just don't have much of an inventory of tower cranes.

According to the spreadsheet, 95 highrises are under construction (using tower cranes of course) in greater Vancouver. A completely differently world over there.
One is a metro of 3 million, geographically constrained by mountains and the ocean where they have to build up. The other is Winnipeg haha.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
One is a metro of 3 million, geographically constrained by mountains and the ocean where they have to build up. The other is Winnipeg haha.
go outside of a small urban core of DT vancouver and it turns very sparse very fast. there are huge neighbourhoods a stone's throw from everything served by transit and bus lines and the skytrain that are almost untouched since the 70s

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 1:47 AM

A few years back in 2018 I took some continuing education classes through the Louis Riel School division. I thought I might take some more in the coming new year but when i looked on the website it said they no longer offer any continuing education classes. It's rather unfortunate. They offered a wide range of classes from different languages to basic computer to cooking lessons. Does anyone know other places offering similar continuing educations classes?

Sorry for the off topic, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask on here.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 10:12 PM
Mooderator

Took these on Dec. 13.

Plane almost went to Gimli and back for some reason.

Happy new year you bastards. Got me and my kids some Toba toques to wear loud and proud here in Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 11:46 PM

Great photos, and a snappy-looking touque! Thanks for sharing these!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 1, 2024, 9:10 PM
Rational urbanist

Awesome photos, far crisper than anything I've ever been able to get through a plane window!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 9:07 PM

I just wanted to say that this forum was pretty quiet over the Christmas break, but now that most people are back to work I've noticed a lot more posts today haha.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I just wanted to say that this forum was pretty quiet over the Christmas break, but now that most people are back to work I've noticed a lot more posts today haha.
Back to being bored in office when my work is done 😂

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 3:39 AM
Mooderator

I am back in Quebec and I want to say, my dad bringing me into the airport from CCW (190) is a hell of a lot more impressive in the early morning than taking the usual Mcgillivray Kenaston route. Manitoba should actively route people coming from the west this way.

I'd like to think that I influenced them a bit when that highway opened. They always want to stop at the stupid costco on Kenaston or Humptys, ffs.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 2:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

one of our past urbanist Pootkao just realeast a new album if anyones interested
https://wearetouching.com/links/
Video Link

listing to it atm

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:50 PM
surely you agree with me

^ cool. I have been working with him at the WSO.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ cool. I have been working with him at the WSO.
nice
must be a treat

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:14 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7168197

Looks like Jets owner Mark Chipman is exploring the construction of transitional housing for Winnipeg's homeless population.

Two observations on that, Mark Chipman truly exemplifies the friendly Manitoba trope in my opinion. He has gone well above and beyond what is expected of the owner of a pro sports team.

Second observation, if the richest man in Canada is taking an active interest in the social conditions affecting Winnipeg's homeless, there could be some truly life-altering changes in Winnipeg, if he does actually commit some of his resources. He sure seems to be taking a lot of interest in Winnipeg lately.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7168197

Looks like Jets owner Mark Chipman is exploring the construction of transitional housing for Winnipeg's homeless population.

Two observations on that, Mark Chipman truly exemplifies the friendly Manitoba trope in my opinion. He has gone well above and beyond what is expected of the owner of a pro sports team.

Second observation, if the richest man in Canada is taking an active interest in the social conditions affecting Winnipeg's homeless, there could be some truly life-altering changes in Winnipeg, if he does actually commit some of his resources. He sure seems to be taking a lot of interest in Winnipeg lately.
This article really blew me away. Chipman and Thomson really seem to be the antithesis of the image of the greedy "all for me" wealthy. They are not controlled by their wealth, they use it for a great public good. Bravo to the both of them. Winnipeg is indeed fortunate to have them working for the city, and have civic and provincial leaders that share and endorse their vision.

There was some outrage expressed over the NDP's financial contribution to this project, so this section struck me: his section struck me:

The premier said the original plans for the tower, as approved by the former Progressive Conservative government, called for moving every dialysis bed out of Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg's largest hospital, and closing an Indigenous-led rapid-access addictions medication clinic on Higgins Avenue.

Those moves have been cancelled, Kinew said, adding the province has also scaled down its spending commitment in the new tower to $77 million a year from $110 million

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:33 PM

Not terribly surprising from the Chipman point of view. Him and his family have always struck me as a very charitable lot. His brother steve actively works at a soup kitchen in point douglas every week. Like hes there getting his hands dirty.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not terribly surprising from the Chipman point of view. Him and his family have always struck me as a very charitable lot. His brother steve actively works at a soup kitchen in point douglas every week. Like hes there getting his hands dirty.
Relics of a bygone age. As much as I hate the insinuations behind the term "noblesse oblige", the Chipmans certainly seem to recognize that they are extraordinarily fortunate and have a moral obligation to spread some of that around. They've certainly done more than most other rich folk globally.

Perhaps Mark Chipman can convince Baron Thomson of Fleet could spend a casual 250 million in Winnipeg on solving homelessness, it's a rounding error to him anyways lol.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This article really blew me away. Chipman and Thomson really seem to be the antithesis of the image of the greedy "all for me" wealthy. They are not controlled by their wealth, they use it for a great public good.
Chipman 100%.

Thomson, not so sure. He runs one of the scummiest companies in Canada as part of the robellus cartel. If he allocated a metric fuck ton of cash to solve homelessness in Winnipeg though, I'll shut and renew my Bell subscription posthaste lmao. I'd love to see them help fund some "council housing", transitional housing and maybe a rehab. That would be life changing for Winnipeggers. Does Thomson have any major business interests here? He seems to be focusing on on the city more than any other Canadian billionaire that doesn't actively live here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan