HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:01 PM

Melt the Arlington bridge. There's an underpass at McPhillips and a nice bridge at Salter. That's plenty. Expand those if needed.

Don't go spending $100's of millions rebuilding a 600m bridge over railyard that should be moved in the first place.

For those nostalgia chasers saying "but it's part of our heritage". Cry harder. Get over it. Life moves on. So should you.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:40 PM

Turn it into a ped bridge and call it a day. I like it. Honestly that’s the best I think isnever going to happen at this point in Winnipeg’s mid term fiscal picture without bold tax hikes.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Turn it into a ped bridge and call it a day. I like it. Honestly that’s the best I think isnever going to happen at this point in Winnipeg’s mid term fiscal picture without bold tax hikes.
I'm inclined to agree, especially since it is part of a major cycling root, but can it be made safe as a pedestrian/cyclist bridge without spending many many millions?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
I'm inclined to agree, especially since it is part of a major cycling root, but can it be made safe as a pedestrian/cyclist bridge without spending many many millions?
That's exactly the issue. Bomberjet can probably attest more as an engineer.

But to me if metal is too rotten to drive on, it's too rotten for any use safely. Rust is like cancer. Once it starts you can't stop it. You can only melt'r down and rebuild fresh.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 5:41 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

If it's rusted beyond repair, then by all means tear it down.

Just need to replace it with something to take its place. The proposals from several years ago looked good. However, if we are putting an AT bridge as a replacement, then the McPhillips underpass and Slaw Rebchuk bridge, along with the routes leading up to them will need to be adjusted for vehicle traffic.

Now, I'm not so sure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan