HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 7:28 AM

Does $200 million seem a bit low to any of you for a building like this?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Well, yes, the development is going "full steam ahead". The question is whether it will be a "tall skinny", or a "chubby".

The notion of "preconstruction", as suggested by the developers PR is an obvious necessity of site-prep, facade stabilization, and basic structural preparations.

The rest is dependant on the vagaries of Chicago politics.
The items you mention will all have to be done after procurement of the proper permits, they have not started yet. At this time it's only investigative work on the existing building.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Does $200 million seem a bit low to any of you for a building like this?
yes, it's a low bid.

The developers as well as the construction company have already admitted to the fact that it's a low bid and will more than likely go higher. What I believe they are trying to do is to procure as many of the materials now at it's current price so that costs will be lower.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 6:50 AM

Well, at least we now all know that durung the winter in the afternoon, the skyscrapers west of Michigan Avenue don't create that much of a shadow across.

Case-in-point the image below which comes from Wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erial_View.jpg

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:10 PM

^^^

Great photo.

Guess what's my new desktop background.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:22 PM
Content provider

nice. at least a year old though, with no 340 OTP

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:30 PM

That pic just shows me that river north and the south loop are due for even more density filling in the next couple decades. Seeing that and pics from the 80's shows that trend. If I had some loot I would buy a couple square feet of land in those spots. Of course if i were that rich I would be a completely different person too.

Park Michigan may be the most important development for the chicago skyline other than the CS. At least as important as OMP and its friends, since it will link those together with the rest of the skyline. I think I should probably email that Haithcock lady too as soon as I can think of something eloquent to say.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Hoffman Estates, Illinois-based Leopardo Construction has already begun site preconstruction, with construction set to begin in late 2007 for delivery in 2010.
This is good news.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:22 PM

[QUOTE=BVictor1;2538959]Well, at least we now all know that durung the winter in the afternoon, the skyscrapers west of Michigan Avenue don't create that much of a shadow across.

Agreed that it's a cool pic. Thank you for finding it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 1:48 PM

disappointing news for the development team

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:18 PM

Hmmmm..... wrong thread?

Those links are about the Ritz-Carlton Residences and the Farwell Building located on N Michigan.

This thread is about the Park Michigan project @ 830 S Michigan.

SSDD

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Hmmmm..... wrong thread?

Those links are about the Ritz-Carlton Residences and the Farwell Building located on N Michigan.

This thread is about the Park Michigan project @ 830 S Michigan.

SSDD
Sorry if I didn't explain the correlation.

The 830 existing facade is in pretty poor shape and may be leaning to the North and East several inches. In my opinion it would make the building more appealing to dismantle and re-assemble it rather than trying to marry in patches to the existing damaged areas that are out of plumb and level.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 4:31 PM
Registered

^ I don't believe this one is going to be a problem. There is much less opposition to this one in the preservation community. It has to do with putting actual activity in the older building, the mid-block site of the YWCA, and the fact that the whole facade would be preserved without too much interference from the new building. It's much more akin to a Legacy project than to the Ritz proposal.

But you're right - the differences between the two do appear to be pretty fine. As VivaL said in the Boom Rundown, probably turning the facade into a giant parking garage is what sealed the fate of the Farwell concept.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, at least we now all know that durung the winter in the afternoon, the skyscrapers west of Michigan Avenue don't create that much of a shadow across.

this building is going to be 3 times taller than any of the other buildings in the area, and we don't know how late in the afternoon this photo was taken

summer would be more of a worry with shadows, because it's when grant park is used the most, If I had more time, I'd volunteer to make a model in sketchup to test the shadow of this building, but I just don't

also, this is by far my favorite shot of the central area, ever

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 7:58 PM

^Someone on SSC has already provided us with quite a few shadow studys that I believe failed to convince anyone shadows should be a concern in fact for most the little shadow study reinforced to all of us how stupid of an argument it really is in an urban environment.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 8:25 PM

In the summer, by the time the sun is low enough to make much impact, it is probably north of west and thus casting shadows mainly on the southwest corner of the park, and largely on the IC tracks. On top of that, this is a very slender building, which is an opportunity that should be seized. Finally, only a few more of these supertalls, at most, will ever be built west of Grant Park, so there's little concern about setting a 'worrying' shadow-casting precedent. So shadows should be a non-issue.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a chicago bearcat View Post
this building is going to be 3 times taller than any of the other buildings in the area, and we don't know how late in the afternoon this photo was taken

summer would be more of a worry with shadows, because it's when grant park is used the most, If I had more time, I'd volunteer to make a model in sketchup to test the shadow of this building, but I just don't

also, this is by far my favorite shot of the central area, ever
Actually, this building won't even be close to being 2 times taller than the Columbian, which is only a couple short blocks south.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 12:44 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Quote:
this building is going to be 3 times taller than any of the other buildings in the area
You're looking too short term. Five years from now when this is built, it will only be as tall as the tallest building in the area.

Quote:
summer would be more of a worry with shadows, because it's when grant park is used the most
Good! It gets hot and humid in Chicago in the summer, we could use more cooling shadows not less.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ I don't believe this one is going to be a problem. There is much less opposition to this one in the preservation community. It has to do with putting actual activity in the older building, the mid-block site of the YWCA, and the fact that the whole facade would be preserved without too much interference from the new building. It's much more akin to a Legacy project than to the Ritz proposal.

But you're right - the differences between the two do appear to be pretty fine. As VivaL said in the Boom Rundown, probably turning the facade into a giant parking garage is what sealed the fate of the Farwell concept.
Thanks for the encouragement. Park Michigan's plans have condos fronting Michigan Ave. to screen the parking behind them.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. Park Michigan's plans have condos fronting Michigan Ave. to screen the parking behind them.
If I remember correctly the old facade will house retail (restaurant and spa?) as well as a residential entrance, at least for the first two levels.

SSDD

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive